Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Business (or domain?) related dissertation topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb

Reaction score
I'll soon need to start thinking about a dissertation topic/title as part of my business management degree.

Have a few ideas in mind, however as there's a lot of business minded people on here thought I'd just stick a thread up to see if anyone has any research project ideas.

Aiming for a first classification and looking for a topic which could be 'cutting edge' and make interesting, useful research (whether related to businesses and domains/internet or not).

Any ideas appreciated :)

Thanks.

There are a few ideas that spring to mind - but for now, let us stick to what is possible.

You don't want to go "far away", and you want to display an analytical/evaluative approach.

In your position, you could look at studying "research projects" of other (PG) students that might have made money, or turn into money. Could be projects in your department, Computer Sciences, Physical Sciences, whatever. In many cases you could interview people to find out why their ideas worked or didn't work. And remember, a lot of those projects don't work fully because people can then "walk out with the idea" and turn it around very quickly, without having to share with the academic institution.

Been there, done that, might as well make a few people uncomfortable for the schadenfreude ... even if I don't know them, I know the type ...

Nice to see a fellow student on here, im final year but opted not to do a dissertation and do more modules.

I'd maybe look into the something quite specific in terms of advertising spend online. Now thats its more and more relevant as UK spends more on it than on TV advertising in 2009 for the first time. Maybe focus on PPC

Good luck with it

How about "Lee Owen"? :D

Or maybe the move of advertising from tv/radio to online? or bricks and mortar to website. the effect the internet has had on physical shops/companies.

Why don't you do something related to the UK generic domain name market? E.g. which companies own a category killer generic, the kind of deals that have been done, valuation techniques, why a domain name is worth so much to a business. I'm not sure whether this qualifies as cutting edge, but I'd find it interesting. E.g. the sale of cruises.co.uk for £560,000.

Rgds

You could dig back through the sales records at DNJournal.com and DomainPrices.co.uk and look at A) who bought what and B) what they ended up doing with it. Could produce some stats like "33% of the domains were bought by just 5 companies" or "17% of the domains are still undeveloped, despite having sold for an average of 1,234 pounds each"

Great ideas so far everyone, will be giving them all some serious thought.

Any topical ideas which will add value to the online industry either as research information or facts in addition to getting a good classification for me will be a great bonus.

Keep them coming please :)

Last edited:
Find the product area or industry with least internet presence / sales, discuss options to improve it.

Find the product area or industry with least internet presence / sales, discuss options to improve it.

Rent a Hooker .com

:)

If you really want to study this area, look at how "big business" is trying to use generics to improve their lot - eg. start from examining sites operated by rb. com as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom