Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Ever met buyer 'smarty pants'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Had a really interesting offer recently on a drop catch. The offer was a tenner. Why? The buyer says he is buying the name for his friend who forgot to renew the name, and he would be incurring a loss if he paid anything over a tenner.

Didn't ask 'buyer smarty pants' but my question is how does anyone forget to renew a domain he wants for an important project for 90 days, despite having had at least 3 reminders from Nominet directly, and possibly several from his registrar? What would you have counter offered if you were in my shoes?

This domain world is sumfin else! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Had a really interesting offer recently on a drop catch. The offer was a tenner. Why? The buyer says he is buying the name for his friend who forgot to renew the name, and he would be incurring a loss if he paid anything over a tenner.

Didn't ask 'buyer smarty pants' but my question is how does anyone forget to renew a domain he wants for an important project for 90 days, despite having had at least 3 reminders from Nominet directly, and possibly several fomr his registrar? What would you have counter offered if you were in my shoes?

This domain world is sumfin else! :rolleyes:

I'd reply and say I want high XXX for it then (unless it's worth more). They're trying it on? ;)

Can you say what the name is?

I'd reply and say I want high XXX for it then (unless it's worth more). They're trying it on? ;)

Can you say what the name is?

The offer is so cheeky, I think it could only have come from a domainer. This guy builds websites for businesses and added a website for a related product to his portfolio on his website afterwards ... yes, I had a little peek at him :cool:

Not publicising the domain (yet) as he could be any one of the people who respond to this thread! :lol:

I just wouldn't engage in dialogue, ignore them. Use your time elsewhere, making money, family and friends.

I just wouldn't engage in dialogue, ignore them. Use your time elsewhere, making money, family and friends.

Yes agree with this.
Sounds to me like Foz is in a good place at the moment.

Not publicising the domain (yet) as he could be any one of the people who respond to this thread! :lol:

Ok, I'll increase my offer to £15, but that's my final offer.

Ok, I'll increase my offer to £15, but that's my final offer.

I knew you'd come to confession in sooner or later! :rolleyes:

No deal, Mr Banker! I'd be making a loss if I sold it at that price. It wasn't an automated catch, you see. It was manual .... manual ... it took a night vigil to catch it .... and I was even drop catching in my dreams! :lol: :lol:

I responded with a 'thank you very much, feel free to come back when your budget is bigger' kinda thing!

Last edited:
£15 is a lot, it's your loss :evil:

Absolutely. "Delete" is a very useful button for dealing with enquiries of that nature (has happened a few times to me over the years).

£15 is a lot, it's your loss :evil:

I agree ... it's a lot of zimbabwean dollars! :lol:

Absolutely. "Delete" is a very useful button for dealing with enquiries of that nature (has happened a few times to me over the years).

I was gobsmacked at the offer... and even more gobsmacked when I found out what he did for a living! I get funny offers but this one really took the pizz ! Now I can laugh at it! :lol:

I've had plenty of these type of phone calls, letters and emails, and they invariably lead back to domainers trying it on. Quite a alot more in 2013 than the previous years, some of them play along they know nothing about domains but have turned out to be quite a big fish.

And we wonder why we get a bad rep :/

^^^^ Hi Skinner. Been looking for you on doodlebug's recommendation. Something about Sofas and Presses :wink: ... Pls, let me know! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom