Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Exercising a .uk Right after receiving a DRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might have little to nothing to lose though.

Lets say I buy boots.co.uk and put a drug store on it. Boots.com get wind of it and I realise they're now going to DRS me. Its an open and shut case... I'm going to lose no matter what I do next.

Yet proper use of "Boots" isn't a loss on a DRS if I avoid clashing with the 'real' Boots.

I could register Boots.uk, throw it on Domainlore and someone could buy it and build an info site about footwear or whatever. That domain isn't likely to be lost to a DRS, and I've cashed in on the sale of it. I can then go on to lose the .co.uk in the DRS, no big deal. They couldn't take the money back from me, or the .uk from the buyer could they ?

It seems like it might be the smart move for some registrants of 3LD's with yet to be exercised .uk 2LD rights to consider registering the 2LD .uk now rather than it being too late should a DRS turn up (presumably because at that point they'd not be permitted to make the registration) and not go their way for any reason. It might be even smarter to transfer the .uk 2LD to a different person, or another legal entity, and place them at a different Nominet registrar. It's not possible to group-DRS multiple registrants (only multiple domain names of a single registrant). It is also for the complainant to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, multiple registrants are associated.

In your hypothetical example you would anticipate losing the .co.uk within a DRS but you'd potentially have spirited the .uk off, preventing it from being lost at the same time as the .co.uk. The fact that you could claim to be able to get it back from its other registrant during the confidential mediation process might *potentially* work in your favour for securing a more preferable outcome. If not, you've still got that second bite of the cherry registered to someone else and resolving to something different. A rehash of the original 3LD DRS complaint probably wouldn't be able to touch the .uk 2LD.

It seems like it might be the smart move for some registrants of 3LD's with yet to be exercised .uk 2LD rights to consider registering the 2LD .uk now rather than it being too late should a DRS turn up (presumably because at that point they'd not be permitted to make the registration) and not go their way for any reason. It might be even smarter to transfer the .uk 2LD to a different person, or another legal entity, and place them at a different Nominet registrar. It's not possible to group-DRS multiple registrants (only multiple domain names of a single registrant). It is also for the complainant to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, multiple registrants are associated.

In your hypothetical example you would anticipate losing the .co.uk within a DRS but you'd potentially have spirited the .uk off, preventing it from being lost at the same time as the .co.uk. The fact that you could claim to be able to get it back from its other registrant during the confidential mediation process might *potentially* work in your favour for securing a more preferable outcome. If not, you've still got that second bite of the cherry registered to someone else and resolving to something different. A rehash of the original 3LD DRS complaint probably wouldn't be able to touch the .uk 2LD.

I started a similar thread sometime ago...

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/uk-do...should-you-register-your-uk-wait-5-years.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom