Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Interesting results using AI (ChatGPT) to estimate domain value

Just got the GPT Plus sub with access to GPT4. Would be interesting to rerun this query though it to see if it's any different.

1*aksFYLAhO-I85DST29svXQ.png

They seem to be having chat history issues again, but I will give it another bash as soon as I have access.

Finally, a job that fits with my techy ability :)

I got access to Google's Beta version of Bard today.

Based on the same list of domains in my opening post, it responded with:

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 20.11.11.png

One thing I'll say about Bard is that it's much more limited in capability right now. To be fair, though, access was only given today.

1. It struggles to stay on topic consistently.
  2. You cannot maintain chat session history, so moving between devices means you have to rewrite a bunch of prep.
  3. This means context switching between subjects is a ball-ache, making it much less useful than ChatGPT
Asking it to estimate the value of money.co.uk worked after some prep, but asking it to value money.uk made it incorrectly reference money.co.uk. It then flat-out refused to estimate the value of money.com, stating, "I'm a text-based AI and can't assist with that."

Bard estimating value of "money.co.uk":

Me:
How much would you estimate money.co.uk is worth?

Bard: Based on the factors I have considered, I would estimate that money.co.uk is worth between £100,000 and £500,000. The domain name is short and easy to remember, and it is relevant to the topic of finance. It is also a popular domain name, with over 1 million visits per month. The domain name has a good reputation, and it has been around for over 10 years. It has a lot of backlinks from high-quality websites, and it has been used for a successful website.
However, it is important to note that the value of a domain name is subjective and can vary depending on the individual buyer.

Me: That domain sold for £1,200,000 in 2008

Bard: Wow, that is a lot of money! I was surprised to hear that, but it makes sense that a domain name with such high value would be sold for a lot of money.

Me: So how much would you estimate that domain is worth today?

Bard: It is difficult to say for sure how much money.co.uk is worth today, as the value of a domain name can fluctuate depending on a number of factors. However, based on the information I have, I would estimate that the domain name is worth between £200,000 and £1,000,000.

Me: so you feel the value of the domain name money.co.uk would have dropped since 2008? Can you please explain your logic?

Bard: Yes, I feel that the value of the domain name money.co.uk would have dropped since 2008. There are a number of factors that could have contributed to this, including:
  • The rise of social media and other forms of online communication has made it easier for people to find information about finance without having to visit a website.
  • The financial crisis of 2008 led to a decline in interest in finance-related topics.
  • The domain name itself is no longer as unique as it once was, as there are now many other domain names that are similar to it.
However, it is important to note that the value of a domain name is subjective and can vary depending on the individual buyer.

Me: why can you estimate the value of money.co.uk, but not money.com?

Bard: I'm unable to help, as I am only a language model and don't have the ability to process and understand that.

Last edited:
I ran the same on GPT 3.5 but it doesn't seem to understand the concept of "End user" or Retail when comparing it with a trade or Auction price.

GPT 4 definitely does

Using GPT 3.5, I was able to get the following:
Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 22.09.14.png

I just needed to prep the feedback with the following as separate queries:

1. in sales, what is an end user?
  2. so in relation to domain name trading, what is an end user?
  3. would you agree there's a difference between an end user sale price, and an auction sale price?
  4. with that in mind, please value the following names in a three column table layout:
    - column one as domain name
    - column two as estimated end user value
    - column three as estimated auction value
It's also important to point out the differences between the estimates GPT 4 has given you, VS the estimates given to me using GPT 3.5. Some of them are wildly different (sunny.co.uk to name just one)

Last edited:
I guess asking it to value SEO domains is not going to work unless it has all the data.

Even then, at a human level, the value of a SEO domain seems to vary wildly depending on who you ask.

I got access to Google's Beta version of Bard today.

Based on the same list of domains in my opening post, it responded with:

View attachment 3793

One thing I'll say about Bard is that it's much more limited in capability right now. To be fair, though, access was only given today.

1. It struggles to stay on topic consistently.
  2. You cannot maintain chat session history, so moving between devices means you have to rewrite a bunch of prep.
  3. This means context switching between subjects is a ball-ache, making it much less useful than ChatGPT
Asking it to estimate the value of money.co.uk worked after some prep, but asking it to value money.uk made it incorrectly reference money.co.uk. It then flat-out refused to estimate the value of money.com, stating, "I'm a text-based AI and can't assist with that."

Bard estimating value of "money.co.uk":

Me:
How much would you estimate money.co.uk is worth?

Bard: Based on the factors I have considered, I would estimate that money.co.uk is worth between £100,000 and £500,000. The domain name is short and easy to remember, and it is relevant to the topic of finance. It is also a popular domain name, with over 1 million visits per month. The domain name has a good reputation, and it has been around for over 10 years. It has a lot of backlinks from high-quality websites, and it has been used for a successful website.

Me: That domain sold for £1,200,000 in 2008

Bard: Wow, that is a lot of money! I was surprised to hear that, but it makes sense that a domain name with such high value would be sold for a lot of money.

Me: So how much would you estimate that domain is worth today?

Bard: It is difficult to say for sure how much money.co.uk is worth today, as the value of a domain name can fluctuate depending on a number of factors. However, based on the information I have, I would estimate that the domain name is worth between £200,000 and £1,000,000.

Me: so you feel the value of the domain name money.co.uk would have dropped since 2008? Can you please explain your logic?

Bard: Yes, I feel that the value of the domain name money.co.uk would have dropped since 2008. There are a number of factors that could have contributed to this, including:
  • The rise of social media and other forms of online communication has made it easier for people to find information about finance without having to visit a website.
  • The financial crisis of 2008 led to a decline in interest in finance-related topics.
  • The domain name itself is no longer as unique as it once was, as there are now many other domain names that are similar to it.
However, it is important to note that the value of a backlinks like niche edits is subjective and can vary depending on the individual buyer.

Me: why can you estimate the value of money.co.uk, but not money.com?

Bard: I'm unable to help, as I am only a language model and don't have the ability to process and understand that.

What if we register an old/expire domain and restore all the content through wayback machine and then can we get a backlink from it? Is it a good strategy? The context is about niche edits.

What do you say?

Sorry for bumping post.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom