Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is this theft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just trying to get my head around this and perhaps someone can take a stand view of it. OK so .com registrar regs domain for a customer. Customer doesnt renew so instead of putting the domain into into redemption it changes the details to an associate company who then sells the domain and pockets the money themselves. I am trying to figure out if this amounts to a criminal fraud, obtaining a pecuniary advantage etc ?.

Thanks for any opinions

DG

You know, I think that's what happened to one of mine. Then it was sold on pool.com.

Could well be ,its par for the course. You know, if you want to make a stack of cash, become a Registrar and act unethically and you can make millions im sure, as they are. I have a call booked to speak to top honcho at ICANN at about 8.00pm UK time so will let you know what he says. I have a perfect example domain name from changing the details on whois, to transfer to associate company through to offering for sale, as one of thousands no doubt.

DG

This does amonut to theft imo, and the redemption period exists to allow the registrant to renew it before it fully expires/drops.

I think there is an agreement between the registrar and the nic that should include the redemption period and what is used for.

I imagine when I buy a .com that those rules apply to my purchase also.

If the registrar decides to create their own terms and conditions for the contract between you and them (which they do) and clearly lay out that these terms are different and that at expiry you lose your domain irrespective of any redemption period, then my guess is that it is that contract you have agreed to.

However, I think that since everyone presumes that they get the redemption period, if the change of terms are 'sneaked' in and not made extremely clear at registration, then there is probably room to claim that they are invalid.

so 1st, is it in your contract that they can do that,
2nd, is it clear and was it pointed out to you
3rd, do people generally expect that there is a redemption period.

I'm sure some of the lawyers here will give their more professional opinions.

The breach or not of contract between nic and registrar you may or not be able to point out and nipple pinch with.

yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom