Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Legal reasons for IDN

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Whois-Search, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Many of you will have seen the IDN argument on Nom-steer and as I can't be bothered to "start them off" again I thought I'd post this here instead.......

As Firefox 2.0 and Internet Explorer 7 now support IDN with added spoofing/phishing filters:

IDN-enabled TLDs

Internet Explorer 7: features

Will people now expect to register IDN .uk domain names? What if I was called Cédric and wanted Cédric.co.uk ?

Also could these people sue Nominet if they did not provide it on accessibility grounds?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

IANAL... but.... I want a car that runs on air, costs less than £20 and never breaks down. No car company provides this but I can't sue them! :p

[edit]

Correction.... I could sue them, but I would would not win

4. Whois-Search

5. Whois-Search

IT Week - 06 Nov 2006

New plan to shape the future of the web - IT Week

Time for the PAB to get their act together and approve it.

6. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

So they're just on about making all domains accept all characters? I thought they were on about bringing out another extension for it.

7. gordon United Kingdom

gordon Active Member

The real answer is both are an issue, but the international issue is more related to the top level as you identify. After all why should the Chinese not get to use ".中" or the Japanese ".日本" instead of .cn/.jp to save switching character sets?

The issue also exists for current domains since they are used for international trade and why shouldn't a UK company selling to China that wants to also promote its UK origin not use a Chinese .co.uk domain for example?

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.