Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Membership & Business Make Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Does anyone have to hand any stats on what Nominet's membership make up is and possible funds supplied by each party? For instance what make up of the membership is by domainers and what percentage of their business is to domainers and those who would seek to use the service through affiliate marketing?

As both markets are unregulated I would guess nominet wouldn't have a clue which areas are covered by what market and to which extent a supposition could be made that Nominet relies heavily on domaining to keep its business in good shape. And moving forward with the new company rule changes, this aspect will become ever so more important.

Thoughts? and most importantly, any stats? 1% of membership domainers? 99% registrars? and as for business... 1% domainers, 1% AM, 1% registrars, 76% business, 21% personal?

LeeOwen said:
Does anyone have to hand any stats on what Nominet's membership make up is and possible funds supplied by each party?

Every Nominet member pays £400 to join then an annual subscription of £100. A current list of members is available at:
http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/members/list

You can hazard a guess as to how much each member supplies towards Nominet funds by looking at the Voting Rights info:
http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/4620_voting_rights_allocation_feb_06.pdf

The number of votes allocated is related to the number of domains registered on a member's tag and here is the calculation used to arrive at the end number of votes allocated:
http://www.nominet.org.uk/governance/voting/policy

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

Before I read the links, by possible funds I mean contribution to Nominet business by buying domains for whatever reason. I was just wondering what percentage domainers possibly made up.

LeeOwen said:
Before I read the links, by possible funds I mean contribution to Nominet business by buying domains for whatever reason. I was just wondering what percentage domainers possibly made up.

If you are trying to break down the membership by business-model category then I'm not aware of any way of doing so except by visiting every member's website and then cross referencing that with the weighted voting rights. Rather you than me :)

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

Hazel Pegg said:
If you are trying to break down the membership by business-model category then I'm not aware of any way of doing so except by visiting every member's website and then cross referencing that with the weighted voting rights. Rather you than me :)

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

Not at all, I was just looking for stats of which Nominet has full access to, after all every business should know their customer base and I'd be very surprised if Nominet didn't know after such a long period of time.

If 80% of their business make up was domainers that would be Nominet's business to know, as would it be if 80% was registrars and 50% of that personal and 50% business etc. etc.

LeeOwen said:
Not at all, I was just looking for stats of which Nominet has full access to, after all every business should know their customer base and I'd be very surprised if Nominet didn't know after such a long period of time.

We do have such stats (I think) from surveys and the like. We will publish some info on our web site at times but it is unlikely to be the full set of figures you are after.

All i know is that one director appears to all be involved as a director of a domain registry company

I for one find that remarkably odd / ethically questionable that these "interests" are allowed.

Oh, and a "not for profit" limited by guarentee company has a shareholder fund that appears to have gone up by some 20% in 2004...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts