Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

SEO Help / Guides

Paullas

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

As a few of you know i have spent the last 8 months developing my gifts website. I am at the stage now i need to learn about SEO, back links etc to get it higher in the search engines for more competative phrases.

Can anyone recommend any good and up to date guides or YT videos to help me get my knowledge up to speed.

thanks in advance.

Paul

You can try my site and see if it fits, not all articles are bang up to date but there are large sections of SEO (particularly in regard to how to get backlinks) that dont change every month (theres also a lot that does) www.seoexpert.co.uk - see if you like it, just over 50 pages of guidance. You mentioned backlinks so starting point https://www.seoexpert.co.uk/backlinks/

This is really going to be helpful for me too. My partner and I have just been talking about SEO, realised how much we need to learn. So thank you for those links.

If anyone has any specific questions let me know, I'm an SEO manager at an agency and have been doing SEO for the last 8 years. (No I won't try and sell you something either..) There is a lot of snake oil about, so just be careful!

This forum is really brilliant sometimes. So many helpful people here.

Another question for the SEo experts :)

Will i damage my domain if i park/point all my domains to 1 main site. Is there a good/never do way of doing this as i am only concentrating on 1 site for the next 12 months i would like to find a way to use the traffic from my portfolio to help it in the search engines.

thanks in advance.

In most cases pointing them to one place won't make much difference, however, there is an argument for 301'ing domains that do have backlinks.

This is a bit of a 'blackhat' tactic, however, if the site is completely relevant it can make sense to do so.

- Pointing random domains at your main site isn't worth it
- Redirecting a couple of HIGHLY relevant domains at your main site with backlinks can help

Strategies include

• Repoint old domains 301
  • Write content on other sites with links back to yours
  • Links can include social media like twitter or linkedin
  • Internal links - linking between pages on your site (this is often overlooked)
  • Making sure your site is quick with no errors - see W3C and google lighthouse
  • Rewrite titles, descriptions and making sure you use Heading Tags
If you add your URL i am happy to give you a few specific pointers

Hi

As a few of you know i have spent the last 8 months developing my gifts website. I am at the stage now i need to learn about SEO, back links etc to get it higher in the search engines for more competative phrases.

Can anyone recommend any good and up to date guides or YT videos to help me get my knowledge up to speed.

thanks in advance.

Paul

If it's an ecom site what platform are you using e.g shopify, woocommerce etc ?

You want decent, unique product descriptions, to me a video for each item is a must as well as unique images for the items. You also want to silo pages/posts to specific items.

"Another question for the SEo experts :)

Will i damage my domain if i park/point all my domains to 1 main site. Is there a good/never do way of doing this as i am only concentrating on 1 site for the next 12 months i would like to find a way to use the traffic from my portfolio to help it in the search engines.

thanks in advance."

If these domains are unrelated I wouldn't 301 them. You'll get a higher bounce rate if people expect one thing and see another, this will affect the main site. You'd need to give a bit more info as to whether they are relevant to the main site or not. A 301 for seo purposes works differently, you can use a domain with good backlinks but you'd always add relevant content to the site first, ensure it gets indexed properly with no issues before doing any 301. As I say I have no idea if these sites you want to 301 have content or not so that question as well the relevance of the domains (and their names) to the main website.

The site is using WP/Woo and the domains are my caught domains past few years so no not relevant, and as above advise i wont be forwarding/parking them on the website.

Ok, if you're serious, you'll need some tools. SEMrush and ahrefs are basics. If you hunt around you'll get a 30 day free trial of semrush, yes you'll need to enter your cc details but just cancel once you've done your homework, it's $99 a month, I use it daily. If needed I can run some sites through it. Ahrefs have a free trial 7 days or so, again I use it daily, the cheapest package is $99.

You're using these tools to analyze the competition, content, back links, do they do paid etc. There are tools like POP (page optimizer pro) which can help with on page content and number of H tags etc. Some of this can be done manually by essentially visiting your top competitors and then looking at their H tags by going to page source and counting how many of each they have. POP does this grunt work for you.

SEMrush will give you searches per month etc for keywords, some back links that your competitors have etc. It's a must have for any seo, as is ahrefs, I don't bother with majestic doesn't cut it for me.

How many images of each item do you have on the item page, are you adding alt text and naming the images properly ?

If you search for a keyword in google and you see other words in bold, those words mean the same thing to google and you can use them within the page content to add more relevancy without overcooking the main keyword.

Primarily you want the technical and onpage up to par first before link building. Technical is the likes of relevant schema etc. Onpage is H tags, content, keyword density etc. You can use the header and footer plugin to add schema. As for page interlinking, keep it as relevant as possible, I know ecom sites have pages like recommended, other buyers who bought this also bought etc but your silo pages must be product specific.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom