Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

seo Numpty here

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Any got any good tips when it comes to seo and getting a website ranked. We are in the process of doing our new website for KeepCalmMugs.co.uk and would love to get it ranked for the search term "keep calm mugs"

Any tips, advice or any can recommend a good seo company?

Thank you

Could target bloggers, make some relevant mugs, gift them out

Beauty, fashion, parenting etc

Hopefully some nice publicity from being mention in post will lead to some traffic & sales, usually some links will follow (though I wouldn't directly ask for a link)

You could also try and get some social media buzz by doing mugs with current memes, I can't think of any now but that Katy Perry left shark was very popular for a period

When Game of Thrones is back on tv I'm sure there will be little things you could do

Too late now but an examples would be Keep Calm and "fuck the king" "hold the door" etc

Not sure how far you could go without infringing, but pretty ambiguous stuff like above id guess you would be fine.

Id probably advise you to get started on a platform which will cater for your needs as you grow, something like Wordpress/woocommerce or Magento. I've not seen much of EKM but looking at your page source you'd be much better off as a starting point with an out of the box bloat free Woocommerce setup. Or if you believe you'll scale pretty quickly and have a budget to justify it Magento is always an option.

Before even thinking about external factors make sure your setup and on-page is on key and is up to the job, obviously https, correct contact numbers and address is a bonus :)

Get the basics right before looking deeper.

Don't over-mention the keywords on the page (but do mention them in the TITLE, the META description tag and the H1 tag) and if you get incoming links, try to vary the anchor text (the actual text of the link). Since the keywords you're targetting as your main keywords are baked right into the domain name so they'll be present anyway.

Think about what people are likely to see as a Google snippet when they do a search (the snippet is the combination of the link and the description. The link text comes from the TITLE tag, the description comes from the META description tag if one is present AND the keyword being searched is within the tag). So for example, if your TITLE is "Hot Cross Bun Recipes for Easter" and your meta description is "30 quick, easy to cook hot cross bun recipes that will see you through to Easter Day." then your search snippet for a search for "hot cross buns" might look like this:

-------------------

Hot Cross Bun Recipes for Easter
http://www.exampledomain.co.uk/
30 quick, easy to cook hot cross bun recipes that will see you through to Easter Day.

-------------------

What you're trying to achieve is a "click-worthy" combination of the title and the description (a good URL can only help, but you've got that) so you want a simple but compelling title (probably something better than my example) plus a description that goes well with it, not too short (otherwise Google will take text from elsewhere on the page automatically as filler and you won't have control over the snippet), not too long (otherwise Google will excerpt a piece of it, and again you don't really know what will be displayed as a result.

You will also find that the META description tag may not be used for search results if it doesn't contain the search terms at all (Google seems a bit fickle here). Again, an example: if your TITLE is "Hot Cross Bun Recipes for Easter" and your meta description is "30 quick, easy to cook recipes that will see you through to Easter Day." then your search snippet for a search for "hot cross buns" won't necessarily use your META description text since it doesn't have "hot cross buns" in it. Instead, Google will help itself to a snippet from elsewhere on the page (or build a snippet out of several pieces of text from various parts of the page) especially if the text "hot cross buns" is in/near there.

Ultimately, you're trying to "win the click" i.e. if somebody's looking at a screen with 3-5 Google results on it, yours has to be the most readily appealing so that you get more clicks from the traffic than you would normally be expected to get.

You can play with this Google serps (search engine results) simulator to try out various combinations of titles and descriptions to get something attractive and readable, then once you're happy with it you can add them to the header of your page in the title and META description tags...
http://www.seomofo.com/snippet-optimizer.html

Oh, and it's a little thing, but if you have a link back to the homepage from other page(s) of the site, make sure you always link back to the root domain not to the page (i.e. don't link to the index.html or index.php or whatever page, just to www.keepcalmmugs.co.uk.

(BTW, the URL should have been green in my example above, but the forum software automatically formats URLs)

Thank you for all the tips and information. Especially Edwin for really going out of the way to reply, you have been a massive help. Just need to get my head around it all now.
We have only just started the Website which is on EKM as we have used this before and its nice and easy to use and they are really helpful if there are any issues.

Once the website is complete it would be good if i could post it here and see if everything looks ok seo wise. My main business is printing personalised gifts but when it comes to seo it might as well be in a foreign language lol

Definitely bloggers, vloggers, Facebook pages, Instagram pages, etc.

You'll get links and mentions for sure.

Take a look at yoast.com and moz.com for seo tips. You should find plenty of (free) sensible info.

Note that yoast.com often refers to wordpress, but the underlying principles are the same for any platform.

You'll need https site-wide at some point (cos google is pushing https now) so you might as well configure that before you go live.

Use the google search console as that'll show you site errors, links, search terms, etc that google is aware of.

Keep an eye on your site pagespeed ....looks like you're doing alright already ;-)

There's lots of free info on the net from SEO gurus but so much of it is just them rehashing each others stuff. A lot of it is just them repackaging blindingly obvious SEO techniques in a new way with a catchy name.

I paid for Ray Field's Fresh Bananas (freshbananas.co.uk) course a couple of years back and it was excellent. None of the American type hype, just easy to follow, in-depth SEO that gets to grips with the nitty gritty of on-site and technical SEO in particular. Definitely worth checking out for the price as I think he's added an big e-commerce section now too.

Best SEO advice I've ever seen (I forget where I first read it): there are no tricks.

If it sounds like some simple magic shortcut, then either:
- it doesn't actually work (correlation is not causation)
or
- Google will slam that door (could be an hour or a month from now, but they WILL)

So you can either spend all your time keeping track of every little SEO tip and wrinkle, every so called silver bullet and shortcut, constantly changing your site to keep up...

Or, you can do it thoroughly and right.

@Recykool ....fair play for getting all this quality, free help. Post back when you are ready to have us look at your site and highlight any SEO problems, I will take a look then. Make sure you use Google Search Console too.

Just about to take a look at some of the links post above, i will also take a look Freshbananas.co.uk

Thanks again for all the very good advice, its always good to know the help is available on the forum when you need it.

Best SEO advice I've ever seen (I forget where I first read it): there are no tricks.

If it sounds like some simple magic shortcut, then either:
- it doesn't actually work (correlation is not causation)
or
- Google will slam that door (could be an hour or a month from now, but they WILL)

So you can either spend all your time keeping track of every little SEO tip and wrinkle, every so called silver bullet and shortcut, constantly changing your site to keep up...

Or, you can do it thoroughly and right.

Or you can stop basing your life's income and your livelihood on the back of a business that may take it all away from you at a moments notice.

We are off to a good site, only a little bit has been done on the website but found us on page 8 of google this morning. Looks like we are going in the right direction. Proberly got lots to do yet in terms of seo and page titles etc but it will be worth it

Make sure you're using Chrome incognito mode when you check your rankings. It's also easier to see trends for longer tail searches if you've got Google Search Console (was Webmaster Tools) set up.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom