Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Thank you for your support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who voted for Graeme and me in the recent election. Sorry I couldn't do better for you. If elected, I would have done my best to earn the faith that you put in me.

I would also like to thank Graeme for his courage in standing for election - he has nothing to gain personally from what he is doing. He is even being sued by Nominet. I think that Nominet, and our society, need people like Graeme - who stand up and speak out for what they think is right, and in the public interest.

I asked for Nominet members to send a message to this board, and I think that message has been sent. Despite a huge calling campaign by Nominet, Graeme and I had a decent showing. Messages I have had show I had support from across different interest groups (apart from the top 20!).

The comments made by others, both here and on Nominet Forum, show that there appears to be an emerging consensus around a number of issues: a perceived trust deficit between the board and the membership; a perception that the weighting voting system stacks the odds entirely in the favour of the top 20; and that somehow the public interest seems to have got lost in the mix. The haste for reform on direct.uk and the registrar structure only support these perceptions. The winners will be a handful of larger members and Nominet the corporation, the losers will be the public (who won't know what is going to happen until too late) and the majority of Nominet members.

These perceptions cannot just be brushed aside as those of domainers or an unrepresentative minority any more. They are shared by many, from different backgrounds, and yesterday's election results do nothing but strengthen those concerns.

Thanks to both of you too.

Hard to compete when you are up against such a complex, weighted voting system and board that treats the golden top twenty like royalty, and the rest of us like we don't exist.

- Rob

there appears to be an emerging consensus around a number of issues: a perceived trust deficit between the board and the membership; a perception that the weighting voting system stacks the odds entirely in the favour of the top 20; and that somehow the public interest seems to have got lost in the mix. The haste for reform on direct.uk and the registrar structure only support these perceptions.

The above sounds eerily like a paraphrase of one of my posts to what passes for nom-steer :)

Hazel

Yes it is. That is the nature of an emerging consensus - we all nick each other's mantra.

I think Paul Keating came up with 'trust' issues and I agree with you totally about the weighted voting and public interest getting lost in the mix. If Rennie Fritchie and Steve Dyer would allow me, I would now like to move on and help in the uphill struggle to get those more important issues seen and heard.

Well done Lucien and Graeme.
You had my votes for what little they count and the first stage results certainly were not what Nominet wanted.

I just wanted to reiterate what Lucien said... and thank you everyone for the amazing support. I was always told you can only lose when one of two things happen

1) Times up..
or
2) You give up..

None of them two are likely to happen, we have come a long long way in just one year. I still believe the courts are independent and every faith that they will deliver the blow that finally brings transparency to Nominet.

It's only a matter of time,

Thanks for standing guys. I wonder if Nora or Dickie were asked (pleaded) to stand again because only two candidates stood? I doubt the board would have welcomed a walk-in from one of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom