20i Domains

twitter.co.uk

Discussion in 'General Board' started by disruptive, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

Looks like this has now been sold! Not sure for how much though.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Aww ! no more donation advertising deals :(

4. disruptive

It was being offered for £30k, whether this was reached I do not know. A heads up, but I don't know the details.

5. rjs_essex United Kingdom

rjs_essex Well-Known Member

Finally! Would be very interested to hear some more details on how this aquisition panned out...

Rich :cool:

6. wb

wb Well-Known Member

If it was only bought for £30k then I think Twitter got a bargain (still a lot of money of course, but the power really was in the previous owners hands).

7. dp United Kingdom

dp Active Member

I was on there a week or so ago and I'm sure it was being offered for £12k

8. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Just did a quick search, not sure if this is the most recent version of the website but searching for Twitter.co.uk brings up this showing a £30k price tag.

9. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I note that the page:

http://www.azabat.co.uk/twitter/

is saying that they offered the name to Twitter and they turned them down, but the name is indeed now showing as registered to Twitter Inc.

Rgds

10. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

It was common sense to make the purchase mate, they should have done it sooner :neutral:

11. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

You could say they got a bargain, but who else would have bought it?

12. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

I agree mate, more like held to ransom but then we would all have done the same under the circumstances ;-)

13. edo

edo Active Member

I actually looked into the logistics of buying the name last summer, but there's just no getting around the fact that Twitter have a trademark for the word "twitter". Meaning the name is worthless to you or I.

14. disruptive

Why pay 30k and find that you lose it in a DRS claim.

15. edo

edo Active Member

Because "twitter" is a dictionary generic word. Hence the original owner was allowed to keep it because he got there first before Twitter Inc successfully applied to trademark the term. Without the trademark I think you'd have been able to sell it to Twitter for a handsome sum.

16. dougs United Kingdom

dougs Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

lost

So why not just say I want £1 million ......£30K will make no difference to anyones life.

Assuming the drs was ok I would have taken that punt:) Pay £30K and just sit waiting for the £1 million

Doug

17. Ashton Canada

Ashton Well-Known Member

You might Doug, as you might not have a requirement to sell.

However, they do not use the .co.uk as they are global, its just a nicety to own it and keep that typo traffic to themselves. Also they could use it for local emails in future.

Better to receive 30k than for them to ignore it.

18. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

That's a bit of an ignorant statement from you. £30k would make a difference to a lot of people's lives. It might not set them up and mean they never need to lift a finger for the rest of it, but it'd give plenty of people a serious helping hand or a fresh start. :)

You'd never have received it. It was a similar thing in relation to the former owner of gmail.co.uk. Both gmail.co.uk and twitter.co.uk became desirable domain names because the respective .com owners built popular services. The .co.uk's were not essential to that and there'd be a ceiling to what any $million of $billion company in this position would be prepared to pay for something which was non-essential and just "nice to have". All companies, including the likes of Google and Twitter have budgets and have to justify their expendature. This is probably why Google waited several years to acquire gmail.co.uk; they didn't really need it as they could work around it, using googlemail.com, until such times when the original owner decided to take a reduced amount of money in exchange. Then it became "nice to have".

You'd have taken a punt at £30k because you do this for a living. Perhaps the former owner of twitter.co.uk doesn't and decided £30k immediately was better than uncertainty.

19. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Yes, £30k will make a difference to many people... but I still think a better sale would have been made if the previous owner had priced it higher ;)

Facebook.com started out with TheFacebook.com and bought their current domain for $200k if I remember correctly, which is a similar situation from a domain owners point of view.

Regarding the Gmail example I may be wrong as this is from memory, however I think they needed to buy Gmail.co.uk to secure rights to actually use that name in the UK from a legal aspect. They already had the .com which was used at first, but then changed to using 'GoogleMail' for a while before getting the UK domain and going back to 'Gmail'.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  20. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

To some people £30K isn't much. Probably the owner wasn't well off and caved, if that was the amount.

21. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Do we know that it was definitely sold? If not then it could have been handed over for £nowt under threat of legal action or during DRS mediation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.