Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What Code?

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by denchomsky, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

PHP:
    Hi 
    I need to build better web sites to try to develop some of my names, what code should i learn? PHP? XML? and can anyone recommend a good teach yourself book or books.

Cheers

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

Hmm, tough one, it really depends on what you want to do with your sites. For basic sites HTML will suffice, if your looking for database driven sites your going to need to look at PHP.

I learned HTML just by playing around with the code really and have recently been learning PHP by using Cubecart (Shopping cart software) and adding by adding modifications by other people, i'm starting to pick up the code now and can do a few minor modifications of my own.

I can't recommend any books as i get far too bored reading them so i prefer to learn with a hands on approach.

4. denchomsky United Kingdom

Cheers Drizzt, well i have these two names DemoListen & TheDemoChart and i wanted two build a site that bands could submit their songs, then they would be placed in a chart depending on how many listens they got, i need this chart to be self updating, or be updated at the end of every week, i presume this can't be done in HTML?......How difficult would it be to write a script like this for someone who knows what they are doing?

Cheers

ps. you really should change your name;)

5. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

Interesting idea, i'd love to see the final outcome of the sites.

The work involved with a site like that is well beyond anything that i could do! The possibilities for features and the like are endless!

Even when using PHP you still need to know HTML to design the site, the PHP code is more the back end scripting rather than the look and feel of a site.

Have you though about posting a request on a site like rentacoder.com? You'd need to get a firm specification in your mind first of exactly what you'd want from the site, then you can submit your idea to freelance coders to bid on your project. (You don't have to pick anyone to do the job but it would give you a good chance to pick a few brains and an idea as to how much work and cost is involved.)

6. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

The first question should be has such a script already been written, and released under a free licence.

There are many open source file repositories, and image galleries that let users rate files and produce "most popular" charts (Music files are just another file format).

I believe Olate is a free open source package that would be a good start - it can do most of what you want as it is :
    http://www.olate.co.uk/products/od/features.php

It is standards complient and has features like RSS feeds which will help with SEO.
    Have you considered how you are going to kick start this project - how you're going to get some initial content.
    How are you going to promote the site?

I'd suggest finding either an open source piece of software that almost does what you want and modifying it - or identifying a few open source components that can be pulled together to give what you need (there are loads of file management and rating scripts available).

I have experience of customising such scripts for clients, and of "seeding" sites with activity/content to kick them off as well as in SEO - do send a PM if you're interested.

7. retired_member27

retired_member27 Retired Member

I would use Perl every time, and if you want speed then use mod_Perl.

8. denchomsky United Kingdom

thanks MishMash for a very informative reply, the olate software you recommended looks good, but unfortunately it's integration and application into a web site is a bit beyond me, i am just learning html at the moment and can barely design a good site for it to sit in. with your knowledge how much would i expect to pay for someone to do this for me?

Cheers.:-D

9. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Den
    I am new to php mysql etc but I can say its easy, dynamic pages images etc etc there is loads out there to help, this week ive managed a 40-50 page website including backend

10. charlie United Kingdom

charlie Well-Known Member

i use HTML/ASP but as you have a noticed i find the lack of free/cheap components fustrating compared to PHP offerings.

your choice of first site sounds extremely complex denchomsky - i'd perhaps try something simplier to start or get a freelancer in sort a bulk of the code then you can tinker later

11. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I would recommend php too, mainly because there's a good community that will help you out and there are a large number of open source scripts available. See:

http://www.php.net/
    http://www.phpfreaks.com/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/index.html

For your own projects, I think php is hard to beat. If you were ever interested in contract development projects, you'll find much of big business uses asp.net, so vb.net or C#.net would be worth learning, but whilst they are probably more powerful than php, I find they take a lot longer to learn / do anything with.

Rgds

Accelerator

12. denchomsky United Kingdom

Thanks everybody for your input..Right, before i start experimenting i need a good cheap host package with php & mysql support any recommendations?
    I am going to build my demolisten/demochart site, it will take a long time but i like a challenge!

If I build it they will come!:D

13. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's quite a project you're contemplating for a newbie coder ..... sent you a PM.

Rgds

Accelerator

14. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

Den three books for you

Sams teach yourself php and dreamweaver in 24 hours and sams php mysql and apache all in one (mysql and apache cds included)

15. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Sorry for my late reply on this thread, but i just wanted to agree that PHP and Mysql are really easy to pick up! I learned enough to design a database driven comparison site within a few weeks. Loads of free tutorials out there.
    If you want an extremely decent (but steep learning curve) content management system based on php/mysql go for drupal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.