Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anyone been able to outrank a company for their brand keyword?

Reaction score
I have an SEO client. For the sake of argument their website is: widgets.com/blue. They've been stuck 2nd for over 12 months for the keyword 'Blue Widgets' behind bluewidgets.com, despite widgets.com/blue's significantly superior website and page authority.

Anyone had a similar experience? Despite the depreciation of EMD signals, do you think Google sees bluewidgets.com as the brand owner or similar and has applied some artificial preference to the site for the keyword?

We're not talking about some well known company, trademark etc, it's a generic product.

Depreciation of EMD signals is in my view a very broad spectrum, EMD's still carry massive weight in low - mid level competitiveness, especially when linked/combined with a genuine brand name of the same term.

Matching Brand/business + EMD of the brand = Still golden ( imo )
Random Brand/Trading as + SEO EMD = Depreciated value , but hugely dependant on the niche and competitors.

Hard to know without seeing the sites

SEO wise I don't have my finger on the pulse anymore, at least nowhere like I used to, but I do know even after the EMD update new sites launched on EMD's were ranking way better than they had to right to given everything else being equal

Do a comparison via Moz.com for page authority and domain authority - how big is the difference? Two or three big hitting links could make the difference

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom