Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Do Sedo have a clue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Reaction score
Are Sedo in any way interested in trying to sell domains? I know they are limited by what they can do as a marketplace, but their attitude towards helping a buyer (me) negotiate an offer is lacklustre to say the least!

In brief, I've met the theshold required by the seller for a domain (and then some), but they haven't responded in 7 days. I sent Sedo a message asking if can help, or if there is anything they can do. They've told me that the seller might not like my offer and doesn't have to reply, which totally contradicts their own Q&A section which states the seller must reply...their response, the Q&A is out of date (great!).

It was also suggested that I send a follow up message, yet when I try it won't let me submit an 'open message', without another 'higher' bid amount, despite the system stating to make an offer "OR" send an open message. I asked Sedo about this and they failed to include an answer within their reply, well done! So now the only way to communicate is to offer a higher amount, showing my hand further and placing the negotiation firmly in the sellers court, leading no doubt to a crazy high counter-offer.

Annoyed that the seller hasn't the decency to reply, annoyed that Sedo don't enforce their own rules and use the excuse "all domains listed on Sedo are listed by the owners, not Sedo, and we have no control over the owner's methods of negotiation".

Some of you may say fair enough, they are doing all they can, but are they really trying to make an effort? Couldn't they have suggested a price that might appeal, or sent a further prompt, or even help overcome the errors within their open comment section, rather than their poor response and trying to sell me their domain appraisal services?

Anyway, rant over :D

(before anyone asks, this domain relates to the one I bought the other day, I've not gone back on my previous comments about the state of domaining ;))

Contact the owner directly, if possible.

I suspect the owner is probably being as difficult as Sedo. It is a .com and has privacy enabled, so I didn't bother trying to pursue it that way. The domain isn't mission critical so will see if the seller eventually replies!

Even if a domain is under privacy protection, the whois email should get forwarded to the owner.

I suspect the owner is probably being as difficult as Sedo

Increasing your offer has a way of making people be less difficult.

Increasing your offer has a way of making people be less difficult.

Indeed, but also says "hello, I'm overly keen, so give me a ridiculous counter-offer" ;)

Are Sedo in any way interested in trying to sell domains? I know they are limited by what they can do as a marketplace, but their attitude towards helping a buyer (me) negotiate an offer is lacklustre to say the least!

In brief, I've met the theshold required by the seller for a domain (and then some), but they haven't responded in 7 days. I sent Sedo a message asking if can help, or if there is anything they can do. They've told me that the seller might not like my offer and doesn't have to reply, which totally contradicts their own Q&A section which states the seller must reply...their response, the Q&A is out of date (great!).

It was also suggested that I send a follow up message, yet when I try it won't let me submit an 'open message', without another 'higher' bid amount, despite the system stating to make an offer "OR" send an open message. I asked Sedo about this and they failed to include an answer within their reply, well done! So now the only way to communicate is to offer a higher amount, showing my hand further and placing the negotiation firmly in the sellers court, leading no doubt to a crazy high counter-offer.

Annoyed that the seller hasn't the decency to reply, annoyed that Sedo don't enforce their own rules and use the excuse "all domains listed on Sedo are listed by the owners, not Sedo, and we have no control over the owner's methods of negotiation".

Some of you may say fair enough, they are doing all they can, but are they really trying to make an effort? Couldn't they have suggested a price that might appeal, or sent a further prompt, or even help overcome the errors within their open comment section, rather than their poor response and trying to sell me their domain appraisal services?

Anyway, rant over :D

(before anyone asks, this domain relates to the one I bought the other day, I've not gone back on my previous comments about the state of domaining ;))

Bear in mind, minimum offer levels are typically set across a wide range of domains to eliminate tyre kickers rather than to establish an asking price. Your offer may still be well below what the seller will be looking for for this particular domain name.

If you do want to follow up, up your offer by $5 to allow you to send a new message and explain to the seller that you met their theshold and then some and are disappointed to not get a reply. Then ask for a price.

Bear in mind, minimum offer levels are typically set across a wide range of domains to eliminate tyre kickers rather than to establish an asking price. Your offer may still be well below what the seller will be looking for for this particular domain name.

If you do want to follow up, up your offer by $5 to allow you to send a new message and explain to the seller that you met their theshold and then some and are disappointed to not get a reply. Then ask for a price.

Yep, most have a threshold of 60USD's but this domain was 200USD, so I assume they made a concious decision to accept offers on that basis (mine was a higher offer). If they feel this is too low, then they should have put that reserve higher. I did as you said, last night, upped it by 25USD and have requested a price, we'll see!

I think the way you're going about buying these domains oozes desperation to purchase thus driving up prices and/or scaring seller away. Some domainers are notoriously difficult to deal with. You might think your being subtle but from what your posting here they'll be cranking that price right up and detect what your about mile away.

Also these sedo offers are just out of date or bait most of the time..

Sedo is currently down.

Edit - Nevermind, was only down for a short time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think the way you're going about buying these domains oozes desperation to purchase thus driving up prices and/or scaring seller away.

How do you figure that one out, are you basing that comment on this single topic, or the private conversations regarding offers I've made on specific domains that shouldn't relate back to this? I've no idea if this seller is a domainer or not, and I don't think a single offer in a 7 day time period is oozing desperation. This is why I made the point of asking on here, rather than having to increase my bid just to see if the seller would respond (which they haven't). Goes to prove my point that some domainers (assuming the seller is one) don't have manners to respond when effort is made to make an offer, no matter if it is deemed to them as unacceptable or not. I say if the seller see's my offer as low ball (or even an insult), make sure they set a higher offer limit, or have the decency to tell me! The art of communication is dead, certainly to an extent in this industry!

Last edited:
The domain industry is like no other when it comes to buying and selling, normal rules of 'decency' and responding to offers/messages don't seem to apply.

How do you figure that one out, are you basing that comment on this single topic, or the private conversations regarding offers I've made on specific domains that shouldn't relate back to this? I've no idea if this seller is a domainer or not, and I don't think a single offer in a 7 day time period is oozing desperation. This is why I made the point of asking on here, rather than having to increase my bid just to see if the seller would respond (which they haven't). Goes to prove my point that some domainers (assuming the seller is one) don't have manners to respond when effort is made to make an offer, no matter if it is deemed to them as unacceptable or not. I say if the seller see's my offer as low ball (or even an insult), make sure they set a higher offer limit, or have the decency to tell me! The art of communication is dead, certainly to an extent in this industry!

The domain industry is like no other when it comes to buying and selling, normal rules of 'decency' and responding to offers/messages don't seem to apply.

Ok, so as I'm displaying "desperation" in making a single (now two) offers for a domain, in an industry that doesn't operate like any other, what would you recommend, that I don't make an offer at all when interested in a domain? I'd be amazed if anything sold!

The issue here is, an opening offer, is almost like a letter of intent, so it has to be serious.

One of the businesses I was involved in (and sold during .uk rights hassle) used to get lots and lots of people who wanted "samples" or a "good price because they would order lots next time", only problem is, 99% of these people was wasting time, and just looking for low hanging fruit. The same is true here of 99% of lowball offers.

The answer is, make your best AND final offer, tell them its your final offer, and if they don't bite, move on.

Ok, so as I'm displaying "desperation" in making a single (now two) offers for a domain, in an industry that doesn't operate like any other, what would you recommend, that I don't make an offer at all when interested in a domain? I'd be amazed if anything sold!

The issue here is, an opening offer, is almost like a letter of intent, so it has to be serious.

This works both ways. What is the point if you are a seller accepting low offers when you have no intention of selling at this price?

Min price should be realisticly set so it does not waste a potential buyers time.

and as for people who set a low min price, receive a low price offer and do not have the decency to even reply are (imo) @rseholes

This works both ways. What is the point if you are a seller accepting low offers when you have no intention of selling at this price?

Min price should be realisticly set so it does not waste a potential buyers time.

and as for people who set a low min price, receive a low price offer and do not have the decency to even reply are (imo) @rseholes.

You don't say! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom