Domain building experience log

Discussion in 'Mini Sites' started by Ashton, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

This is a progress log of my experience in trying to make a passive income from domains and microsites.

I hope it will help new domainers not make the same mistake's I do, and some of the more experienced domainers will provide some sort of advice and direction when I am doing something stupid.

19th August 2010
    Completed first beta of http://www.hygienecourses.co.uk - All thoughts are appreciated. £5 commission per course purchase. Will update on google ranking and hits when it gets listed.

August 2010
    Purchased the following domains for development (plans on the right):

HannahMontana.co.uk - Hannah Montana blog + gallery, no adverts until success, maybe affiliates to itunes for music, amazon etc.
    UsedBikeSales.co.uk - Bike classifieds, completely free to list, no adverts planned.
    SiteCreate.co.uk - Info on creating your own website, affiliated with the website builders like webs.com
    LuxuryWeekend.co.uk - Luxury weekend reviews, hotels, etc - Affiliates
    HygieneCourses.co.uk - Food hygiene courses online.

July 2010
    Foolishly over confident in myself I bought buyusedpcs.co.uk off a drop list. I made a very basic and hastily made site, and signed up to affiliate programs, surprise surprise, no traffic, not many google searches. Bad choice. Once burned.

Early 2010
    Joined acorndomains as an experienced web designer, tired of earning <£50k a year and wanting to have some passive income. I initially joined tempted to offer my design services to gain experience.
    Gradually got hooked to the ideas behind domaining and that led me to start spending my time on researching and creating sites

All thoughts on what I am currently doing and any advice is really appreciated. If the admin would prefer I kept this off the forum let me know, better than me asking for a website review on every site I complete I thought ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. rob

rob Founding Member

Good info - will be nice to follow progress - keep it updated!

4. springer United Kingdom

springer Active Member

Your Hygiene Courses site is nice and clean, although I would add a logo instead of the tightly spaced text at the top.

I am sure it is something you considered before your purchased the domain, but I would think carefully before investing, and quite possibly wasting, time on Hannah Montana. I doubt Disney would be too impressed you making money from their intellectual property.

Look forward to further updates Ashton.

5. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

I intend to ;)

The text is for SEO purposes, although currently its only h2 and h3 so I could add a logo.

Regarding Hannah Montana, it wll be a fansite. It will have similarities to: http://www.hannahmontanazone.com but be targeted at a UK audience.

At the end of the day, I will be earning them money (Branded products, DVD's and music) and promoting their show.

Unfortunately it has been the last Hannah Montana series... so unsure how long it will last.

Thanks for your reply :)

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

7. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

Today I am redesigning hygienecourses.

I will make a design that will get picked up by some of the showcases and hopefully improve its ranking considerably. (Its currently page 10 on google for hygiene courses haha)

New design will have some elements of the old and some entirely new bits :)

Thanks for the suggestion about the buttons, they are all being changed in the new design to a slightly more square look, with a better hover.

8. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I was thinking a better colour ... my favourite is orange.

Rgds

9. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

Green is associated with hygiene, that was the idea.

Once you see the new design it hopefully will sway you :)

10. theonemanyuri

theonemanyuri Active Member

Good work mate. Couple of thoughts:

- On mouse over, 'supervising' says manufacturing certificates
    - The footer is offset to the left on my display, would look cleaner in the centre

But it looks smart apart from those small things. I agree green is a suitable colour for food and hygiene, not too intrusive on a site where your going to be reading alot either

11. Ashton United Kingdom

Ashton Well-Known Member

Sorted both in new design, but thanks for the feedback ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.