Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Early post-mortem on MeetDomainers Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There's still some of the event to go (paintballing today, though I'm skipping out on that) and then a drinkie at the bar this evening, but since the meat of the meeting is now over, it's worth taking a quick look at what transpired...

Firstly, hats off to James and the team for putting together a first-class event. The magic Namedrive wristband has been the ticket to unlimited drinks and some great food, and the presentations have been a lot more useful and relevant than at the other conferences I've been to in the past (TRAFFIC Down Under, DomainFest Amsterdam and Targeted Traffic Amsterdam).

(Tip for future conferences: do NOT fasten your wristband tightly to your wrist or you'll be wearing it night and day until the event ends as it's designed intentionally not to be removable - pocket it instead! I'm still wearing mind, and developing a mild case of wristband-chafe...)

The Domainers meet Domainers panel was a good start. Some interesting tales from all the panelists, and Greg's story of flipping a $10 million newly acquired portfolio within weeks was amazing.

Morgan Linton did a brilliant job building a simple blog site on the fly in about 20 minutes flat - showed me that Wordpress has a lot more tricks up its sleeve than I'd discovered to date. And his advice about building out networks of names was great. His mindblowing energy - well, I'll get to that in a bit...

The Domain Legislation panel was very wide-ranging, and included Leslie's comments about professionalism in the domain industry that were picked up in The Register. In the context, and sitting in the room, I felt they were very valid and highlighted a fair concern. After all (from here on, this is MY commentary, NOT hers) it only takes a few ranters and rabble-rousers to cause a stir in the UK market, as it's very small and sites like The Register love anything that smells of trouble, so there's a ready ear for complaints and accusations, and conspiracy theories. Plus there have been occasions where some of the stuff posted here on Acorn has made me cringe, whether for the extreme foul language (we had a very long thread on that a while back, sadly inconclusively) or the ranting tone.

Having said that, the vast majority are NOT THE PROBLEM and the people I've met and listened to at the show come across as professional and engaging. But it only takes a few outliers with too much time on their hands to cause a stir and give Nominet a headache.

Other interesting stuff from that panel includes the fact that Nominet's working through processes that will hopefully eventually allow for any length of domain registration from 1 year through 10 years. There was also a hint (but no stronger than that) that the cost of transfers may be revised downwards at some point i.e. that's an issue on the agenda.

The Domain Sales panel was good. I'll gloss over my part in it and leave it for others to comment if they like, but I found James' info about the series of emails that he sends to potential buyers very informative, and especially the increase in response he's seen moving from a long sales email to a 1-2 line approach at first. Tessa covered all the bases when it came to valuing domains and also explained some of the tools she uses to get appraisals (she knows they have to be taken with a heap of salt, but they can also be useful when dealing with novice buyers unaware of domain values in general, as can past sales data for domains in the same niche)

The Expedia panel was an eye-opener for me, as I didn't realise they had so much data (aside from the hotel listings) for affiliates to chop up and reuse in any way they like, and also the fact that they seamlessly provide the back-end for many travel companies who you would have pegged as direct Expedia competitors! Definitely something for me to look at for my Maps.co.uk project somewhere down the road...

The Development/SEO panel was a bit sales-heavy, but that's fair enough since one of the companies presenting was a Silver show sponsor. Still some good info here as well, and an interesting comment (mirroring my own belief) that plural product generics are more useful than singular if you're building a site focusing on selling that product - makes it seem more like you're THE place to buy that product). There was also some interesting comments on doing online PR, and using press release and article sites to drive traffic and get incoming links - and the ticket-selling tip was great. I'd have preferred to have had more specifics on which resources to tap for distributing press releases or syndicating articles (rather than "Google it") but the underlying process was clear.

While there weren't many sales (and this has been covered at length elsewhere) Morgan Linton's seemingly limitless ocean of energy and enthusiasm made the auction a very entertaining event. If you heard the audiocast you'll have already experienced a taste of it, but he was also striding from side to side and waving his arms as he tried to whip a generally tame audience into a bidding frenzy. This was the only genuinely weak point of the show, and suffered from the available inventory and some slightly strange choices like the succession of ".co.im" domains that left the room as silent as a crypt. Fortunately, Morgan kept it fun, but overall I would say that I would have preferred 1 or 2 more panels instead of the time that the auction took up.

The food and drinks afterwards were tasty and copious. I can't comment on the after-after-party as I dropped out and kept on chatting in the hotel bar (wimpy, I know) but everyone headed off in a swarm of mini-buses just after 9pm...

Overall, the most RELEVANT domain show I've been to, and probably also the most REALISTIC. Parking was addressed, but also mini-site development, large development projects, domain sales, affiliate programs, white label development, lead-gen and more, which paints a pretty accurate picture of the real options facing the owners of decent generic names in 2010.

Two thumbs up!

Last edited:
Thanks for this Edwin - for those of us who couldn't attend (even though I'm only 40-odd miles away - 4 kids on school holidays put paid to that!) it sounds like we missed a good show.

Last edited:
I didn't get to the event so thanks for the review. I was listening to the auction audiocast though. I have just discovered that .co.im are Isle of Man domains. Perhaps next time split them up a bit in the auction, as that might avoid a tricky patch for the auctioneer.

Rgds

BTW, it kind of went unsaid in my initial post, so I'll say it here: the huge payoff for me from this show wasn't any of the above, but meeting a lot of folks I've been dealing with "virtually" for years face-to-face for the first time!

I didn't get to the event so thanks for the review. I was listening to the auction audiocast though. I have just discovered that .co.im are Isle of Man domains. Perhaps next time split them up a bit in the auction, as that might avoid a tricky patch for the auctioneer.

Except that I was chatting to a domain developer who lives in the Isle of Man, and he told me that most businesses locally just use .co.uk and a very few use .im, and .co.im has no traction at all in the market (in other words, those were 3rd choice extensions from a very, very, very small market!)

Thanks Edwin for a comprehensive review of the MeetDomainers conference. It sounds like it's been a great success apart from a slightly dissapointing auction. I think next time any obscure extensions need to be given a wide berth, reserves made a little more realistic and more effort made to encourage owners to list quality domains.

On the professionalism issue that was raised by Mrs Cowell and picked up by the Register I do agree with a lot that you've said. At one time there was a lot of extreme foul language, abuse and crude stuff on here that did not help the uk domain industry one bit. There were quite a few of us that tried to make a stand and the forum has definitely changed for the better. Mrs Cowell could have noted the improved standards in the industry. There is also nothing any of us can do to control the few loose cannons, that blatantly register trademarks and give nominet a hard time but Mrs Cowell should realise that these people are not tolerated on this forum nor would they have been present at the MeetDomainers conference. She should give some credit where credit is due.

The Morgan Linton presentation sounds good. Was this recorded and is it available to watch?

All in all sounds like a really good show. Thanks for your efforts in keeping everyone informed.

I asked the question - and agree with the answer Lesley gave.

.Uk domainers need to shape up, grow up and act more pro. For some on here that will never happen, but in all honesty they wont be about long term.

On the professionalism issue that was raised by Mrs Cowell and picked up by the Register I do agree with a lot that you've said. At one time there was a lot of extreme foul language, abuse and crude stuff on here that did not help the uk domain industry one bit. There were quite a few of us that tried to make a stand and the forum has definitely changed for the better. Mrs Cowell could have noted the improved standards in the industry. There is also nothing any of us can do to control the few loose cannons, that blatantly register trademarks and give nominet a hard time but Mrs Cowell should realise that these people are not tolerated on this forum nor would they have been present at the MeetDomainers conference. She should give some credit where credit is due.

It's worth noting the context of her remarks. It was after a question was read to her from the panel moderator (this panel was almost entirely question-driven) saying "What can the domain community do to help Nominet?". She said that she appreciated the question, then made the appeal for greater professionalism from a minority as it was damaging the overall reputation of domainers (which I've already concurred with, above). The suggestion was also that the industry should be self-policing (e.g. a professional membership organisation) to bolster its image. There was nothing I heard from her "on the day" that I really disagreed with, and she covered a wide range of issues only a few of which I've picked out above.

The Morgan Linton presentation sounds good. Was this recorded and is it available to watch?

Morgan said something about it being available for download later, but I can't see it on his site. Perhaps it will show up in a bit?

Thanks Rob and Edwin

Helps us understand the context i.e. it wasn't part of a prepared speech

But as I said before there's nothing anyone can do to control loose cannons. At the end of the day they usually come unstuck.

Thanks for the roundup Edwin, I'd have liked to have come along but I couldn't spare the days of my day job, so I'm heading to Think Visibility next weekend instead, not as domain oriented but I think I'll benefit from all the other aspects too.

But as I said before there's nothing anyone can do to control loose cannons. At the end of the day they usually come unstuck.

Not 100% true. It's difficult, but a professional organisation that domainers could apply to become members of (with a codified and clear Code of Conduct, annual membership dues, the works) would be one way to counteract this kind of issue. If such an organisation were to gain traction (and especially if spokespeople from the organisation became known to the media as domain "subject experts" who could provide prompt, reliable, lucid commentary whenever a news story involved a domain angle) then the loose cannons would be de-fanged, to mix metaphors liberally.

Not 100% true. It's difficult, but a professional organisation that domainers could apply to become members of (with a codified and clear Code of Conduct, annual membership dues, the works) would be one way to counteract this kind of issue. If such an organisation were to gain traction (and especially if spokespeople from the organisation became known to the media as domain "subject experts" who could provide prompt, reliable, lucid commentary whenever a news story involved a domain angle) then the loose cannons would be de-fanged, to mix metaphors liberally.

I know .com space has a professional organisation representing it but that's a much larger market. I think it was tried for .uk but never got anywhere. It will be an enormous burden, in terms of money and time, to run and why should the onus be put back on us. Is there any evidence to suggest that large portfolio owners (i.e. the people she was speaking to) are the ones giving Nominet staff abuse?

But there is a cheaper way of setting up an organisation. How about - from today all 'exclusive' members of acorn are automatically members of the UK Professional Domainers Association (UKPDA) and you Edwin have been nominated to be our spokesperson :D

Edwin > thanks for taking the time to write up your early review, it really is ashame that there was only a hanful of decent genric .co.uks and also some of the decent domains had ridiculous reserves.

I think quadbikes was a reasonable price, I really need to attend myself so I can get an idea of what type of buyers are attending and bidding on online aswell.

As for professionalism I like to think I am getting there myself, I have had my own domain sales site for 2 years instead of just going through Sedo etc, I have been very open about my hate for TM domains/cybersquatting.

I have scrapped my endless list of single page aff sites and took on my first decent generic which is already proving to be a good money source.

I am currently working on a marketing strategy for themett#co#uk to sell to travel companies.

If any wonders what is The mett please read this article

Anyway, I haven't been posting so much on here now and trying to keep to domain realted post only from now on.

Here's to a good future for us all and in 2011 let's see the back of TM domains please and that includes the big players.

Hope to be a meeting next year, it's just all down to finances :|

Last edited:
Nice detailed summary Edwin, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Hi Edwin,
Many thanks for taking the time out to post to Acorn.
And many thanks again for joining me on the domain sales panel.

You did an excellent job! Many people commenting directly afterwards how impressed they were in the openness of the information shared.

To be honest im still half asleep after last night so Ill keep it brief.
But if anyone is interested Morgan has uploaded snaps of all the panels and will update with more information over the coming days.

www.morganlinton.com

Once Im back in the office on Monday expect to hear much more from me.

James

I had a great time and met some great people. I was hoping to meet alot more acorn domainers but I would say there was only about 6 members there...

Maybe next time it could be more actively promoted on the forum and to members by a quick email..

Next time I'll need to take some headache tablets, the function was great, thanks James and everyone who helped and spoke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for a great post Edwin. Wish I'd come too.

brilliant show, excellent speakers, and it was great to meet some people off here...

well done James and NameDrive, i'll definately be attending the next:)

if you spoke to me later on last night then please drop me a pm so I know who you are, my memory is a bit hazy !

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom