Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Has the .uk market dropped on its arse

has the arse fell out of the .uk market.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind, there's a clear separation between somebody picking a few gems off the shelf and clearing 5 figures in an afternoon and somebody who's ongoing business model (based on the evidence of their forums posts) seems to be to sell their gems for peanuts in order to keep the lesser-quality gems in inventory.

Yes I also agree with that - it is doing business the wrong way around for sure.

For me sales have really dried up, thats inbound sales i mean.

I used to do well from inbound sales but I just dont get the volume i did anymore.

On the other hand, I think alot has to do with the quality of names being caught.

Because of which I am having to really look at renewals and are they worth keeping hold of when the time comes.

I know a few domainers letting go not so good names so they can concentrate on the better stuff.

I would certinly say anybody catching decent domains or have done for the last few years will do ok.

I just think the names that are dropping and going out on the usual auction sites are mostly rubbish atm - it's as if 'because it's a 'drop'' it must automatically have some value.

I've never seen such utter shite being banded about recently, but hey, wait? because its a 'drop' it must be worth something!

- there are better hand reg out there - yet people would still buy a broken dream for £100 because they see it lit up on an aution site.

I know a few domainers letting go not so good names so they can concentrate on the better stuff.

I think you could be quite right. I've seen a very large player in the domain industry heavily discount domains that they have allowed to go into a state of suspended. Whilst I believe they would just renew the domain anyway, it's interesting that they have valued them to sell, rather than pay the renewal fee.

I think you could be quite right. I've seen a very large player in the domain industry heavily discount domains that they have allowed to go into a state of suspended. Whilst I believe they would just renew the domain anyway, it's interesting that they have valued them to sell, rather than pay the renewal fee.

Supply and Demand.
That's why it's best to look at quality not quantity.

Yes thats correct its quality over quantity, why have 3,000 poor names when its much better to have 100 top quality names that will sell for good money or much easier to develop

There are many more domains - even reasonable ones - than there are skilled people (programmers, website designers, content writers, SEO bods, etc) to develop them.

The reason for that is because the economics of the marginal sites (as these news sites would be) isn't strong enough for all of these sites to warrant being developed.

If 10% of the regged but undeveloped domains were developed, other already developed sites would then struggle and may lead to some of those existing sites becoming uneconomic, unmodernised and undeveloped (in effect).

There are only so many sites that Google can fit onto Page 1 for any keyword. And that represents only so many domains and far, far fewer than all the ones registered. Hence the supply is greater than the demand. The demand is driven by the economics of being or not being on page 1 of Google - to a large extent.

.... for some almost all the activity happens off forum, the last 4 names I bought I am fairly sure I could flip for well over 100% profit in the £x,xxx region on here if I tried and almost every week/month I am amazed at some of the prices I can still buy names for, but I generally don't flip and the best buys are from owners who don't dabble too much so again off forum. The UK market looks strong yet undervalued from where I stand and long may it continue, kinda :)

also just to add if you started with say a budget off £500-£1000 today I still see no reason why you could not buy/flip your way to 5 figures profit within a month, on the assumption your first purchase was not reg fee. It's not luck, it's a numbers game, I hated hearing it at the time but a big guy once said to me every 'no' takes you closer to your next 'yes' and it's true.

Last edited:
also just to add if you started with say a budget off £500-£1000 today I still see no reason why you could not buy/flip your way to 5 figures profit within a month, on the assumption your first purchase was not reg fee. It's not luck, it's a numbers game, I hated hearing it at the time but a big guy once said to me every 'no' takes you closer to your next 'yes' and it's true.

Scott, I think this says more about your skill to find value in the Market Than anything else. I can prove that u can start from that budget and not make anything :( . If you feel like sharing would love to hear some tips via pm

I've been looking to buy a few decent names recently and can't find anything with what I deem realistic prices. That may be that i'm wrong with my valuation but my opinion is there are a lot of inflated prices around.

With regards to cheap catch flipping, could it not be that if someone has a dac allowance sitting there doing nothing they may think I might as well stick in a few cheapies to flip? £10 is better than £0 especially for 10 seconds work inputting a name.

I stand corrected on my 2007 prediction but you never know!

the main trouble I have after doing a bunch of research/emails/letters is saying no to some but I have passed some decent names on to others to buy.

.... for some almost all the activity happens off forum, the last 4 names I bought I am fairly sure I could flip for well over 100% profit in the £x,xxx region on here if I tried and almost every week/month I am amazed at some of the prices I can still buy names for, but I generally don't flip and the best buys are from owners who don't dabble too much so again off forum. The UK market looks strong yet undervalued from where I stand and long may it continue, kinda :)

Yes, this is -as in antiques or art trading- all about knowing your business, becoming an expert, and there are not enough real experts around. If you become good at anything you will be able to trade successfully, there has always been money to be made out of buying and selling property/land/real estate and for domain names there is not necessarily just one deal between registrant and end user.

The honest truth is that a large percentage of people on the forum are not capable of spending time on quality research, sending out business emails to both new customers or owners of generic domains let alone trying to write professional business letters.

The standard of Pm's and posts on the forum that I receive and view from members trying to sell domains for thousands of pounds written as if they were texting their mates after a drunken night down the pub is frighting and is half the battle if you want to be taken seriously and trade in a business environment act like it.

The forum used to be a place to trade and sell quality .co.uk domains with a small group of like minded individuals.
It has now become a dumping ground for people with large lists of below average domains or people thinking all .org.uk are worth registering and will resale the next day on the forum from the outside it must seem the Wild West and Fools Gold on Acorn Domains...

Cant understand how anyone relates "the poor quality" of domains offered on boards - with the overall market, that really is comparing chalk to cheese. There is a real understanding these days both of the value of 'quality' domains and their potential to the end user - the days of the non savvy end user is long past - the days of the non savvy domainer never left us.

I always laugh when you read that "Been registered for over 10 years" blurb in a sales post. You'd think somebody is trying to flog a case of vintage claret by some of the wording used. It is unfortunate that the immediate liquid value of even reasonable domains does appear quite low at times - but, often they really are only 'instantly recognisable' terms or words rather than the actual markets dream wording.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom