Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Have you ever been Ripped Off / Scammed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Have you ever been Ripped Off / Scammed?

When I first got on the net in 2001 with my first website, I got scammed over $5000 USD with paypal reverse payments. I have a traffic hits website which supplied traffic to people, they paid me via paypal, I delivered the hits, the a few weeks later they would write an email to paypal saying someone had fraudulently used their paypal account ... in other words "they would pay me for the goods, I delivered, then they wrote to paypal and got their money back and the goods for free!"

I learnt the hardway! Be very wary guys!

As the first poster said, there is a risk in using Paypal in that if the buyer complains to Paypal saying they never received the service (i.e. domain) then Paypal will just reverse the payment back to them and they have your domain and their money back.

I would only use Paypal for small value transactions where you trust the buyer completely.

If it's a larger amount, ask to be paid by bank transfer direct into your bank account, and don't transfer the domain until the money is safe and secure in your account. If the buyer doesn't want to do that, tell them they can use an Escrow service such as Escrow.com but they will have to pay the fees.

As additional security don't have too much money in the account whose details you give them (or just open a separate bank ac specifically for domain payments).

Does anyone else have any advice on best practice?

Rgds

Accelerator

I got ripped off by a guy on this site for £600 his username was domainmonster and his real name Tony Mace. Moral, dont trust people you dont know.... Im in touch with the police about it though.

Rob

I got scammed for about $2k when I was starting. Because of paypal reversals etc.
Still hurts, but it was a good lesson..

You serious..

That f***** 's done me too... but for £200.... can you pm me about the police thing cos I will add my name to it too...

Have you talked to Nom about it... ie you paid and have proof of the intention to sell?

Cheers Rob

TW

I got ripped off by a guy on this site for £600 his username was domainmonster and his real name Tony Mace. Moral, dont trust people you dont know.... Im in touch with the police about it though.

Rob

Rob

I bought some parts for my car over the internet and the person never sent the items. You will be suprised how clued up and fast the police are with internet matters. I rang them as a last resort not hoping for much, but they went down his house and made him pay the money back into my bank. I was very impressed!

I rang them as a last resort not hoping for much, but they went down his house and made him pay the money back into my bank. I was very impressed!

That's good to hear, well done Mr PC Plod. Nice to see taxpayer revenue being put to good use.

It's good to hear that the Police have started to treat my money in the same importance as the Inland Revenue.

It used to be, defraud Joe Public out of £20,000 and they might have a look into it, but underpay the inland revenue or the vat man £20 and the sod will be round with the baliffs before you can say "Has GB abolished the 10p band then?"

I am impressed though, things could be improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom