Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Help an idiot with an email/nameserver setup query

So for name Ian, you could use www then give the IP address of your server in the IP section.
I thought that, it allows you to enter www, but you can't use the other method, being @ (though suggests leave it blank), so wasn't sure if I need both. Also that would only allow me to enter a single IP (I assume from ns1.tsohost.co.uk); doesn't it allow a fall back in case of downtime at TSO?

Explain in terms of DNS logic. The IP addresses aren't his either. They match the hostnames. Why does he need any of that as A records in his zone hosted at DNSMadeEasy when he's no longer using TSO's name servers?
I still need to point my web traffic to TSO where my website is hosted.

So the server you are on will be looking for Ian's web traffic.

At his registrar, all traffic is being sent to dnsmadeeasy and then the control panel there is deciding where different types of traffic go. So by putting www it is saying if someone types in www.iansdomainname.com then it will go to the IP address of his server.

If it's email it would go to wherever he sets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct but you haven't appeared to have done that. Instead you appear to have added entries related to TSO's name servers. These are no longer required. You simply need to add the A record(s) for the IP address(es) your web site is hosted on.

I think you missed the post where I said he should put www as the name and the server IP as the IP.....

I think the point David is trying to make (whilst mocking me of course) is that I should use the specific IP address where my website is hosted, not the nameserver IP addresses. Does it not matter that this particular website hosting is a shared with a few more websites of mine, so therefore share the same IP?

I think you missed the post where I said he should put www as the name and the server IP as the IP.....
So you feel it is worth me having both a blank one (which dnsmadeeasy count as A record "@"), plus a "www" one, both to the same IP?

He'll need to do that too, if he wants those A records. He might be using CNAME for all I know though. :) However the three A records he has in within his screenshot are wrong/unnecessary/of no use which is what I said.

Yes they are wrong but we've got passed that.

I think the point David is trying to make (whilst mocking me of course) is that I should use the specific IP address where my website is hosted, not the nameserver IP addresses. Does it not matter that this particular website hosting is a shared with a few more websites of mine, so therefore share the same IP?

Indeed that's correct.

No as the server will be looking for your traffic and will do its thing. No different from all the sites pointing at Fasthosts or any other company.

Yes. Once you have setup Google Apps Premium, and found where to do this, also set up a CNAME of webmail (webmail.yourdomain.tld). This'll take you right to the Google Mail login page in a browser.
That would be quite cool, but one thing at a time!

For anyone else reading this thread, NS records and DNS records are different things.

NS records (name servers) are held at the registry level, to tell you where to go and find DNS information.

DNS records are held on the aforementioned name servers (and you don't need to duplicate the NS records there)

A records point directly at IP addresses
CNAME records point at A records (not quite as efficient as A records for looking up, but easier to maintain if lots point at the same IP. Not officially allowed for pointing MX at)
MX records point at email hosts
SPF and other records are informational only (for anti-spam and the like)

A typical setup would be:

A > domainname.co.uk > 127.0.0.1
CNAME > www.domainname.co.uk > domainname.co.uk
A > mail.domainname.co.uk) > 127.0.0.1
MX > domainname.co.uk > mail.domainname.co.uk > 10 (priority)

Those are glue records.

I thought glue records tied nameservers to IPs, rather than defined nameservers?

NS records do belong in zone files. Each zone requires a NS entry detailing the name server hostname that hosts that zone (and one entry for each hostname if the zone is hosted with multiple name servers, as would be usual). Some GUI's may hide this from the user but these NS entries still have to exist in the underlying zone.

I thought NS records at the DNS level were only required for delegated subdomains? Everything else being automatic by every DNS provider I've ever known.

Well I decided to set up on a domain that just had a uniregistry holding page to see. I first included the domain within my tsohost server, added a test html page, then added the IP address of my server into DNSmadeeasy, then changed the nameservers via my Nom account....and....it worked, success!

Thanks David, you must have seen my post straight away, as I edited it 2 minutes later. It was an error on my part as to why that particular domain didn't work. For some reason my cpanel account had stopped assigning add-on domains to public_html by default, so the domain was pointing to a root location it had no rights to. Sorted that. Now setting up the transfer of the real domain!

. For some reason my cpanel account had stopped assigning add-on domains to public_html by default, so the domain was pointing to a root location it had no rights to. Sorted that. Now setting up the transfer of the real domain!

Thats an update for cpanel and one your host has accepted, addon domains now natively have their own folders below the public_html instead of in side it..............much better.

Thats an update for cpanel and one your host has accepted, addon domains now natively have their own folders below the public_html instead of in side it..............much better.
Yeah, I'm sure it is better, but not when you've not noticed the change and are trying to battle understanding of setting up email :D In any case, my main domain is now operating through DNSmadeeasy and Google. Hasn't quite filtered through ISP yet, as emails are still going the old route, but I've received some in on the new, so I know it is getting there. One thing I found which was a pain, was that I already used the email address for other Google servers, and you cannot use the same for Gsuite, so I had to do some email name changes to sort it (but naturally went the long way around).

That reminds me, I can change my email address on Acorn now to test, as I wasn't receiving PM notifications on the domain prior.

One nice feature of GSuite (I wish they would stop renaming their products!), is that you can receive and send email on as many domains as you like, without further charge, as long as the address to the left of the @ is the same.

So if your account is set up as [email protected], then add seconddomain.co.uk, thirddomain.co.uk etc as domain aliases and you can send and receive email using iian@ on all of them. Works on the App too.

One nice feature of GSuite (I wish they would stop renaming their products!), is that you can receive and send email on as many domains as you like, without further charge, as long as the address to the left of the @ is the same.

So if your account is set up as [email protected], then add seconddomain.co.uk, thirddomain.co.uk etc as domain aliases and you can send and receive email using iian@ on all of them. Works on the App too.
I actually found that you could add alternative email addresses from different domains under the same control, so not an alias. However, it does then requires you to have another sign in account. It is a decent tool, that's for sure, though takes a bit of setup to suit the way I operate, with many features that are already 'open' on a gmail account, requiring authorisation on this account.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom