Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Help an idiot with an email/nameserver setup query

Ignoring the bad apple (as most of us do), does this screenshot look about right?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 47
Ignoring the bad apple (as most of us do), does this screenshot look about right?

No. For a start the A record section shouldn't have TSO's NS records. They're now superflous because you're no longer using TSO's name servers. .

So for name Ian, you could use www then give the IP address of your server in the IP section.

So for name Ian, you could use www then give the IP address of your server in the IP section.

I haven't watched any video so please explain why he would want those entries in the zone for his domain name?

Watch the video and find out

Explain in terms of DNS logic. The IP addresses aren't his either. They match the hostnames. Why does he need any of that as A records in his zone hosted at DNSMadeEasy when he's no longer using TSO's name servers?

I thought that, it allows you to enter www, but you can't use the other method, being @ (though suggests leave it blank), so wasn't sure if I need both. Also that would only allow me to enter a single IP (I assume from ns1.tsohost.co.uk); doesn't it allow a fall back in case of downtime at TSO?

Explain in terms of DNS logic. The IP addresses aren't his either. They match the hostnames. Why does he need any of that as A records in his zone hosted at DNSMadeEasy when he's no longer using TSO's name servers?
I still need to point my web traffic to TSO where my website is hosted.

I still need to point my web traffic to TSO where my website is hosted.

Correct but you haven't appeared to have done that. Instead you appear to have added entries related to TSO's name servers. These are no longer required. You simply need to add the A record(s) for the IP address(es) your web site is hosted on.

So the server you are on will be looking for Ian's web traffic.

At his registrar, all traffic is being sent to dnsmadeeasy and then the control panel there is deciding where different types of traffic go. So by putting www it is saying if someone types in www.iansdomainname.com then it will go to the IP address of his server.

If it's email it would go to wherever he sets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct but you haven't appeared to have done that. Instead you appear to have added entries related to TSO's name servers. These are no longer required. You simply need to add the A record(s) for the IP address(es) your web site is hosted on.

I think you missed the post where I said he should put www as the name and the server IP as the IP.....

I think the point David is trying to make (whilst mocking me of course) is that I should use the specific IP address where my website is hosted, not the nameserver IP addresses. Does it not matter that this particular website hosting is a shared with a few more websites of mine, so therefore share the same IP?

I think you missed the post where I said he should put www as the name and the server IP as the IP.....

He'll need to do that too, if he wants those A records. He might be using CNAME for all I know though. :) However the three A records he has in within his screenshot are wrong/unnecessary/of no use which is what I said.

So you feel it is worth me having both a blank one (which dnsmadeeasy count as A record "@"), plus a "www" one, both to the same IP?

He'll need to do that too, if he wants those A records. He might be using CNAME for all I know though. :) However the three A records he has in within his screenshot are wrong/unnecessary/of no use which is what I said.

Yes they are wrong but we've got passed that.

I think the point David is trying to make (whilst mocking me of course) is that I should use the specific IP address where my website is hosted, not the nameserver IP addresses. Does it not matter that this particular website hosting is a shared with a few more websites of mine, so therefore share the same IP?

Indeed that's correct.

No as the server will be looking for your traffic and will do its thing. No different from all the sites pointing at Fasthosts or any other company.

So you feel it is worth me having both a blank one (which dnsmadeeasy count as A record "@"), plus a "www" one, both to the same IP?

Yes. Once you have setup Google Apps Premium, and found where to do this, also set up a CNAME of webmail (webmail.yourdomain.tld). This'll take you right to the Google Mail login page in a browser.

Indeed that's correct.

No as the server will be looking for your traffic and will do its thing. No different from all the sites pointing at Fasthosts or any other company.

Ian, Paul means web server where he says server, specifically. It's name based hosting rather than IP based hosting, allowing many web sites to share a single IP address.

Yes. Once you have setup Google Apps Premium, and found where to do this, also set up a CNAME of webmail (webmail.yourdomain.tld). This'll take you right to the Google Mail login page in a browser.
That would be quite cool, but one thing at a time!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom