Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is it just me or ........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
paravan said:
Nomninet DAc system and drop random mechanism is flawless until another flaw has been found

If todays top catcher has dicovered a flaw in Nominet system then hats off to him for his ingenuity.

Please Nominet sort it out for next time so the rest of us can have a chance. :)

Slater said:
If todays top catcher has dicovered a flaw in Nominet system then hats off to him for his ingenuity.

Please Nominet sort it out for next time so the rest of us can have a chance. :)

It was a J/K. I told the same thing when another TAG got 24 names out of 24 hours period and nominet said it is normal. Then I had PMs from that tag to stop talking then a few days later 303 second bug was discovered.

When the catchers are better than the controllers, the catchers are in charge.

Lucky we can trust the present catchers to not get right into the system and take all the domains . . .

-aqls-

I've said this before and nominet don't take any notice, as long as it's a human doing the dropping, then the system will be sussed. Get a dumb monkey in and it will be a little bit more random but not by much. :mrgreen:

Ah well another Pre-Nom drop passes with my only catch being a wasp that was trying to drink my beer earlier.

Back to the job of trying to catch normal and hopefully randomly dropping names.

Good Luck everyone :)

Slater said:
Is it a matter of next time? that guy has bagged about £100k+ worth and he aint giving them back - the opportunity has gone

Slater said:

Couldn't agree more. Nominet, *please* can you check your code?

Thanks,

Philip.

Looking at the times, they drop approximately every 15 mins or so... Still doesn't explain how two tags got everything.

Jeewhizz said:
Looking at the times, they drop approximately every 15 mins or so... Still doesn't explain how two tags got everything.

It could be a useful exercise for Nominet to examine their logs and see if there's any correlation between changes in DAC traffic volumes from the winning tags and domain drop times. Mann-Whitney U-test or similar might help here too, just a thought...

P.

philipp said:
It could be a useful exercise for Nominet to examine their logs and see if there's any correlation between changes in DAC traffic volumes from the winning tags and domain drop times. Mann-Whitney U-test or similar might help here too, just a thought...

P.

could even try the mars bar test if it would help. Just find an algorithm that *IS* random and has *NO* discernable pattern.

That 2 tags pretty much cleaned up shows there was a pattern.

tifosi said:
could even try the mars bar test if it would help. Just find an algorithm that *IS* random and has *NO* discernable pattern.

That 2 tags pretty much cleaned up shows there was a pattern.

Edited........................

Last edited:
Thanks to the many people who have alerted me to this. I will have it looked at immediately.

I'm just about to go off on holiday for a couple of weeks so you will need to contact use direct at [email protected] if you want to raise any further concerns.

jonno said:
good luck with the airports :)

Oh it is so depressing. For a start we have three kids, one of whom is a baby, and current advice is that nappies are not allowed (bet that changes quickly). Then I hear that large parts Southern Spain, where we are off to, have had to close their beaches because of jelly fish.

It would be more fun reading DAC logs.

Jay Daley said:
Thanks to the many people who have alerted me to this. I will have it looked at immediately.

Do you plan to continue dropping domain names even though there is definately an issue somewhere? and if drops are allowed to continue is it negligent?

jalpope said:
Do you plan to continue dropping domain names even though there is definately an issue somewhere? and if drops are allowed to continue is it negligent?

Jay,

We had alerted you many times before regarding this issue and you could not solve it. This time I am sure you can not solve it again. Because you do not care whether the names drops random or not! Here is the email I sent to Nominet support. I will paste the replies here, if I get any.

Dear Sir,

I am a TAG holder *****. I have invested more than GBP10K so far for DAC dropcatching script and because of flaws of Nominet DAC random mechanism I can not get my investment back. A few months ago I had alerted nominet that a TAG holder named ***** could not get a 24 out of 50 or so valuable names in a day with a same quota with the law of probability. Then a bug is discovered that names were dropping with 303 seconds intervals.

Yesterday for prenom drop same thing had happened. A tag holder named ***** got many of the valuable names in so many people's list.

I am officially inquiring you to detect these:

1. Please look at the drop time of following names and tell me whether the above-mentioned tag holder's DAC queries became more frequent just before the respective drop times:

premier.co.uk
musicbox.co.uk
searcher.co.uk
infrared.co.uk
management.co.uk
sonycentre.co.uk

1.1. If you can find a pattern of high-frequency of DAC query for ***** then how do you explain this? Can your DAC system has a flaw of randomness?

2. Whether registrant type may be hold empty and whether PO boxes can be used in address?

3. Do you have a plan to completely erase DAC and put something more random?

Regards

PS : If you are going to reply me with something like "Unfortunately we can not answer your questions because the questions are personal" then do not bother to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
paravan said:
Jay,
I am a TAG holder *****. I have invested more than GBP10K so far for DAC

Dear paravan
Have you caught any prenom at all with your 10k investment during the last year? I can say that I invested 100k, so what?

Now edit your post and remove list of my names and addresses if you don't want to get in trouble.

Feel free to send anything you like to nominet for them to do any checks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom