Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Landrush phase for .uk short domains now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every registrar can apply, you can't really blame Nominet if registrars haven't made it possible!!

Grant

I think I can, I would have expected Nominet to have put a lot more effort into this, liaising with the top well known and widely used registrars to push for maximum coverage. This is not directed at you Grant btw, but in general terms there is far too much flattering of Nominet for my liking and not holding them to account. The public have a right to expect a lot more of them than a charity!

How can registrars apply through Nominet, is it just a case of creating a record in the 'Web Domain Manager' as per normal domains?
http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/registrarsinfo/
Also, when are the application fees payable or when is the deadline? (Only asking as I notice someone above commented that some domains aren't showing in the WHOIS as the fees haven't been paid yet).

Fees are payable by close of the landrush phase - http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/reserved/

I think I can, I would have expected Nominet to have put a lot more effort into this, liaising with the top registrars to push for maximum coverage. This is not directed at you Grant btw, but in general terms there is far too much flattering of Nominet for my liking and not holding them to account. The public have a right to expect a lot more of them than a charity!

Nominet have kept registrars informed, we get regular information from them, however, they can't make us implement anything and don't enforce systems onto us (other than the EPP/Automaton standards that allow us to interact with the registry)

What more can they do? I think your gripe should be directed towards the registrars who choose not to implement rather than Nominet.

I think I can, I would have expected Nominet to have put a lot more effort into this, liaising with the top well known and widely used registrars to push for maximum coverage. This is not directed at you Grant btw, but in general terms there is far too much flattering of Nominet for my liking and not holding them to account. The public have a right to expect a lot more of them than a charity!

I get what you're saying but at the end of the day Nom put the systems in place and the resellers decide which systems they're going to use, which products they're going to sell and what features of those products theyre going to support (an address change, for example, which some registrars don't support).

Grant

Thanks Monaghan, I had skimmed through the pages earlier but must have missed those details.

I agree that the big registrars should have put more effort into opening this up to the public. Noticed a fair few personal applications so far for initials, and it would be great for non-domainers to get a fair few of these. No doubt there will be plenty of greedy domainers snapping up many combinations though (personally, I'll only be applying for a few sets of family initals).

so can a tagholder just apply direct to nominet then?
as it may be easier and cheaper just to get a TAG in the longrun

so can a tagholder just apply direct to nominet then?
as it may be easier and cheaper just to get a TAG in the longrun

If you don't have membership then I imagine you can apply the same as other tag holders that do, it will just mean you have a more expensive registration fee if successful as you don't get the discounted rate.

It's what I'll be doing (or hope to do, unless I'm wrong!)

...they can't make us implement anything and don't enforce systems onto us ...

In which case they should not be dropping any of these names. The 'ordinary joe' who might want a name or two is likely to throw in the towel if their usual registrar can't be arsed. We'll see the distribution of landrush registrants when the dust settles to determine the effect of that one.

Of course what you're saying is that there are no teeth in the UK domain market. I don't think that's acceptable, that's my opinion.

If you don't have membership then I imagine you can apply the same as other tag holders that do, it will just mean you have a more expensive registration fee if successful as you don't get the discounted rate.

It's what I'll be doing (or hope to do, unless I'm wrong!)

I'd guess that's correct, £90 or whatever it is for a non member.

Grant

It wouldn't earlier, bit it's now letting me apply for them through the domain manager on my tag.

In which case they should not be dropping any of these names. The 'ordinary joe' who might want a name or two is likely to throw in the towel if their usual registrar can't be arsed. We'll see the distribution of landrush registrants when the dust settles to determine the effect of that one.

Of course what you're saying is that there are no teeth in the UK domain market. I don't think that's acceptable, that's my opinion.

Not sure how to reply really, are you suggesting that we all present a standard offering as specified by Nominet? If so, then what is the point in Nominet having registrars, why not just bypass us lot and only sell direct?

The big registrars have obviously decided after reading the Nominet info that there's not sufficient profit in this particular handful of domains so have chosen not to offer them.

I really doubt that "joe public" is going to stumble across a domain registrar site and decide to pay a fee followed by an additional fee to enter them into an auction where they may possibly get their domain. The "joe public" who would do this will have sufficient capability to find the list of participating registrars on Nominet's site and approach them. I've had a number of "end user" people find me and I'd not done anything other than put a simple page on my site and inform Nominet that I'm accepting requests.

I'd like to try 2/3, can anyone offer me this service here? :) Please drop me a PM if you can help, thanks. :D

As pred has already posted, some of the URLs listed by Nominet are wrong/not resolving.

I've just done some by hand through my domain manager on my tag. Just waiting for Nominet's approval.

I would also like to try for two or three names would anyone able to help please Pm me
Many Thanks
Simon

I thought I'd registered for a few, but I'm no longer showing on the whois. Someone mentioned you have to pay before showing up on there, yet I don't see how to pay...

I thought I'd registered for a few, but I'm no longer showing on the whois. Someone mentioned you have to pay before showing up on there, yet I don't see how to pay...

You will get an email with a code and link in it once you've submitted the reg request.

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom