Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New Registrar Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Goodbye drop catching not that I'll miss you really.

Last edited:
They have to have explicit consent (I think was the term) to transfer an expired domain into their name.

When I asked what explicit consent was a while ago someone from nominet told me "probably something in writing"

What would worry me if the fact that who will be checking? will they be able to transfer names as they like and only the ones that get complained against will be checked?

Then they don't ever need explicit consent, they just need to not have a complaint made.

Ha which silly sod agreed to this?

Oh yeah the 90% of members (big boys club) being made up of exactly the registrars who will profit from this!!

Coming to a large domain reseller near you soon.........

Last edited:
They have to have explicit consent (I think was the term) to transfer an expired domain into their name.

Unfortunately I cant see that as the wording is "Right to transfer expired domains into own name" same terminology as a .co.uk owner has right to .uk i.e.. not subject to anyone elses approval.

I would love to see 1 n 1 take ownership of a ™ domain and get drs'd

A group of us should join forces to build a new awesome .uk registrar at ridiculously cheap prices, to entice premium domain holders to move over to our new registrar.... ;)

It will be interesting to see how 1 n 1 and Sedo work this as it would certainly improve Sedo's position.

Unfortunately I cant see that as the wording is "Right to transfer expired domains into own name" same terminology as a .co.uk owner has right to .uk i.e.. not subject to anyone elses approval.

I would love to see 1 n 1 take ownership of a ™ domain and get drs'd

There should be a protocol before names can be transferred into a registrars own name.

& one of the steps should be providing nominet with their proof of the registrants explicit consent.

If that isn't one of the steps it will turn into an absolute joke because of the reason I gave above.

There should be a protocol before names can be transferred into a registrars own name.

& one of the steps should be providing nominet with their proof of the registrants explicit consent.

If that isn't one of the steps it will turn into an absolute joke because of the reason I gave above.

I agree but it will be clause 95.1 giving registrar rights to take ownership after 60 day period.
Someone who registers a domain never really scrolls the T&C's… they just tick the box.

I agree but it will be clause 95.1 giving registrar rights to take ownership after 60 day period.
Someone who registers a domain never really scrolls the T&C's… they just tick the box.

They can't do that, not at the point of registration

You may, no earlier than 30 days after the expiry of a domain name on an Accredited Channel
Partner Tag, take steps to transfer the domain name into your name, provided that you have previously
informed the Registrant that you intend to do this and obtained their explicit consent to your doing so.
Such consent must be obtained no earlier than 30 days before the date on which the domain name is due
to expire
, and no later than 30 days after the date on which the domain name expired. Even if you transfer
a domain name in these circumstances, the original Registrant of the domain name must always retain the
right to renew the domain name in question as set out in paragraph B.1.13 above. You may not transfer a
domain name into the name of a third party under this paragraph;

http://www.nominet.org.uk/sites/default/files/Revised_Registrar_Agreement_January_2014_FINAL.PDF

It depends on how they obtain 'consent' and whether it is assumed 'no consent' unless otherwise instructed. If 'consent' means ticking a box and not being allowed to register a domain until you do this is lip-service only. Basically we all know who will benefit from this and it happens to be certain people on the (non-profit) board and the major registrars.

Last edited:
The simple fact that this has been proposed can only be based on greed!

Why is this now being discussed in a new thread like its something that hasn't been brought to the attention of the forum until now? How many of the thread contributors turned up to relevant meetings and voiced concerns about it? No point complaining about it now (well actually there is because it's possible things could still be modified in the future, as I was told personally by someone at Nominet in senior management after I said that accredited registrar will bend the forthcoming rules). However what actually have the majority of those posting in this thread done to voice real concerns? With respect Mr Blackburn you have been involved in domain names for at least as long as I have yet you start this thread like you've only just realised the change will be occurring imminently. :-$

So basically if you discuss in this thread you're actually complaining? Nice logic. Can we conclude from this that *every* person reading this thread already knew about the 'changes'?

Last edited:
So basically if you discuss in this thread you're actually complaining? Nice logic. Can we conclude from this that *every* person reading this thread already knew about the 'changes'?

It can be discussed in this thread although it has been discussed to this extent previously so is possibly pointless. The issue has already been publicised extensively on this forum and elsewhere; a forum search would provides results. Who in this thread isn't a Nominet member? :)

Attending the meetings and/or making phone calls and writing emails to the right people would probably be more useful. Was this not an issue you would have considered getting on a plane for? :)

I'm not complaining. I was merely commenting. Quite why I'd get on a plane for that I don't know. :) I was just pointing out that you were very quick to say anyone commenting in the thread was complaining and it was pointless. This is a discussion forum - obviously the OP thinks this is worthy of 'discussion'. A forum search would be pointless for people totally unaware of this change as they wouldn't know to even look for it. But let me make it easier for the thread - 'Does anyone who wasn't aware of this wish to comment on it?'

Why is this now being discussed in a new thread like its something that hasn't been brought to the attention of the forum until now? How many of the thread contributors turned up to relevant meetings and voiced concerns about it? No point complaining about it now (well actually there is because it's possible things could still be modified in the future, as I was told personally by someone at Nominet in senior management after I said that accredited registrar will bend the forthcoming rules). However what actually have the majority of those posting in this thread done to voice real concerns? With respect Mr Blackburn you have been involved in domain names for at least as long as I have yet you start this thread like you've only just realised the change will be occurring imminently. :-$

Hi David
The thread was only started as this agreement now takes effect in 7 days time and I thought it better to open this new thread rather than post on an old thread where it might not be noticed.
Clearly some members were not aware of this judging by their responses.
Ive been aware of this for a while but was just passing on the information to members of this forum, some Nominet members, some not.
Ive voiced my concerns to Nominet before about this so its nothing new to me.

I think the best thing to do if trying to make sure nominet enforce the explicit consent rule and don't let registrars take whatever they want unless there is a complaint from the registrant.

I would like it if registrars had to provide proof of explicit consent to nominet before transferring .

Fox-in-Henhouse.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom