Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

New Registrar Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does say they can only take them once nominets full cycle is over though. So doesn't that mean they will have to register everything a few seconds after midnight like a drop?

That's something I stressed in the consultation and never got a suitable answer.

As it is now a registrant can renew right up to the cancellation point. I hope that this doesn't change and I'll be requesting a full answer to how this is going to work.

I suggested a new status in the whos - similar to the recent 'domain not required' to say something like 'reserved by registrar' so at least it is possible to know the status of the domain.

And absolutely no change to the registrant until cancellation at which point it would be automatically transferred to the registrar.

To save me trawling through the site, when was the supposed abolition of the transfer fee meant to start?

As long as a registrar has this in their terms and conditions for a couple of weeks and sends it out to everybody. They can start taking domains next week. ?

Is non-action considered explicit consent? I doubt that very much

I assume explicit consent would need to be something in writing

In theory this should change nothing, because I can't imagine anyone giving a registrar explicit consent to take their domain, but we shall see how it goes in practice :rolleyes:

At a minimum, explicit consent should be obtained in writing, or at the very least via email, via phone would not be acceptable, as anyone could say they rang someone and got permission, when they didn't.

Likewise, trying to bury it somewhere in their TOS isn't acceptable either, that would just be to try and circumvent what they need to do, which is get explicit consent during the time frame set out in the new registrar agreement, which can't be covered by their TOS.

All you need is an email saying you are going to auto renew and please email back stating you don't want it. That way you force someone to reply.

@ caz, they couldn't get away with something like that, trying to force something on someone just to get what the registrar wants. Plus, people will have had the option to set domains to auto renew in their accounts if they wanted to, if they didn't, that would indicate they don't want it renewed, so again, not something that can be forced on them.

They need explicit consent during the correct time frame as set out in the agreement, if they don't get that, there's nothing they can do.

Last edited:
Anthony as far as I know it starts on the 18th of this month, or as soon as you get a "self managed tag", you will automatically be set as a channel partner, then you can change it or they will check your meeting channel tag requirements and change then.

I had the 18th or 23rd in my head, someone confirmed it for me, they checked and said, the new agreement will now come into force on Tuesday 18 March.

@ caz, the procedure for renewing domains is the same for the registrant now, as it has always been, they can renew it right up until the point that it drops, and always retain the right to renew if they want to, as well as receiving all the usual reminder emails.

It's already happened. If you're a Registrar and you log into your Nominet control panel you'll see that you've now got "Channel Partner" status and have to apply to change that to anything else.

It's already happened. If you're a Registrar and you log into your Nominet control panel you'll see that you've now got "Channel Partner" status and have to apply to change that to anything else.

Just been looking at this. The Self-Managed option seemed to ask a lot of irrelevant questions.

Just been looking at this. The Self-Managed option seemed to ask a lot of irrelevant questions.

Yep. I gave a very short answer (paraphrased: "We don't have customers") so we'll see if that's enough to satisfy Nominet.

Yep I thought that I just put

This TAG will be for personal domains only. customer names will be registered on a separate TAG.

In most of the boxes

The self managed TAG only allows a max of 50 domains. :\ Looks like I really need to trim down some domains then lol.

The self managed TAG only allows a max of 50 domains. :\ Looks like I really need to trim down some domains then lol.

That's fifty names not registered to you mate you can have as many as you want.

That's not how it reads on the application though - it told me I was above the limit for a self-management TAG.

It's very badly written. Once you check the checkbox to consolidate your domains under the self managed tag it seems to accept it.

I guess all of this will get fixed in the hours and days ahead - this is V1.0 after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom