Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

POLL: Domainers – How many .uk domains do you hold?

Domainers – How many .uk domains do you hold?

• 1-5

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 5-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 20-50

• 50-100

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 100-200

• 200-500

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • 500-1,000

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • 1,000-2,000

• 2,000 and over

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
taking a bit of the sedo disclaimer and looking at only .co.uk sites (i.e. sedo sites that have even managed to reach google) then the following search shows 229,000 results.

http://www.google.com/search?q="Dom...hip"++.co.uk&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=70&sa=N

and that is:
a) 1 parking company
b) only the sites that use that part of the phrase for the disclaimer
c) only of the sedo sites that reach google
d) only .co.uk and not .org.uk .me.uk etc

-aqls-

aqls said:
taking a bit of the sedo disclaimer and looking at only .co.uk sites (i.e. sedo sites that have even managed to reach google) then the following search shows 229,000 results.

http://www.google.com/search?q="Dom...hip"++.co.uk&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=70&sa=N

and that is:
a) 1 parking company
b) only the sites that use that part of the phrase for the disclaimer
c) only of the sedo sites that reach google
d) only .co.uk and not .org.uk .me.uk etc

-aqls-

Good point aqls and proof indeed that .uk 'domainer' ownership is very high and 30-40% level is not unrealistic.

Whilst I'm no supporter of .eu I note that around 140,000 of 1.7m .eu domains are already listed on sedo. As you say that that is just '1 parking company' and shows very high level of 'domainer' ownership in general.

olebean said:
Nigel

I all comes down to whether nominet are willing to allow/ sanction or sponser research.....

I am waiting for Jay / Jac etc to come back on that...... I am sure if there isnt an answer shortly there could be conclusions drawn..

Well there you go jumping to them again olebean... conclusions are supposed to be things arrived at with evidence. ;)

However, Jac has a day job too and has to earn a crust just like you guys; he was also involved in PAB meetings (in London) until late Tuesday night, Wednesday morning, and Wednesday afternoon, and didn't get back to his office till Thursday morning. Now, some kind hearted soul (cue Whois-Search) might say thanks for doing all that on behalf of the internet community but all you can say is "there could be conclusions drawn". :rolleyes:

However, jocular quips aside, I see from a new threat (oops thread) entitled "Should Nominet get their own" that laskos and a few others don't want me/them here.

But anyway, please define "sanction / sponsor research" cos it isn't clear what you are suggesting or why it would be necessary.

I'm off to try to appease laskos and company and explain why it is probably a better thing than he thinks for AcornDomains to have an ongoing dialogue with people who know the Nominet side of things and can provide answers to some of the questions that keep reappearing here.

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Last edited:
Jac said:
However, jocular quips aside, I see from a new threat (oops thread) entitled "Should Nominet get their own" that laskos and a few others don't want me/them here.

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Steady, woooaaahh. I think that's more to do with Acorn getting in bother over posters arguing about nominet rules and people being sued rather than anything you're doing on here.

Who'd have thought it MP, me a mediator. :mrgreen:

sneezycheese said:
"An entrepreneur making his or her fortune in the field of domain names by offering domain-name related services to clients; or by investing in individual domain names for resale or development." ...I think in one way or another that covers most, if not all of us. :)

For the record, one American definition is: "A person who makes a living from domain name speculation or by purchasing popular domain names and filling the sites with advertising".

The .au regulator says the following. “Domain monetisation” has been defined as follows: the business of purchasing domains and running advertising on a landing page to earn ad revenue from traffic. The traffic to these domains comes from a variety of sources : old bookmarks, people typing in the domain (ie. "direct navigation"), residual traffic from the previous website or search engine results. Registrants who practise domain monetisation are known as domainers.

There are a multitude of similar definitions but it depends (I suppose) on your standpoint. :D

sneezycheese said:
PS: Jac - I'm still waiting on a reply to my emails sent soo, soo long ago. Have you been 'advised' not to communicate with me on the subject in question??? :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm having amnesia and deja vu all at once here; I think I've forgotten this before! I gave you a pretty comprehensive opinion on the issues of your DRS case in a previous thread; at least, I thought it was pretty comprehensive, because you seemed to accept most of it. I can dig back for it if you want? That said, I don't know what else you want me to tell you but if you want to get specific please mail me at [email protected].

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom