Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was just wondering what your thoughts were about putting numbers, letters and hyphens in domain names?
Any help would be great as i am new to this!

Thanks

Hi guys, i was just wondering what your thoughts were about putting numbers, letters and hyphens in domain names?
Any help would be great as i am new to this!

Thanks

Your aim is to register generic terms based on highly searched keyphrases. So, this is a good domain name:

mortgages.co.uk

Anyone can register domains with added numbers, so this isn't valuable:

mortgages10.co.uk

Generally speaking search keyphrases are good, e.g.

fixedratemortgage.co.uk

with this type of domain, buying the hyphen separated may be worthwhile:

fixed-rate-mortgage.co.uk

but the non-hyphen separated is more valuable.

Rgds

Thank you for your help!!
I have quite a few domains and am thinking about selling some, how easy is it to find someone who wants to buy?

Regards

I don't like numbers, check out http://www.domainprices.co.uk and see what sells and for how much.

Most big value names contain no numbers, no hyphens, and usually no more than 2 medium length words or 3 short words, there exceptions to this tho.

Also think plaurals are more for directories rather than a solo entity.

For example...

MoneySupermarket is 1 person.

MoneySupermarkets is more a directory or about supermarkets.

Oh names prefixed with e, i and the, ie

iSupermarket
eSupermarkets
theSupermarket

Are risky but sometimes do sell high.

Oh Bugger, i was gonna renew f1 and f-1 today, may as well let them drop :p

If only I had taken some advice like that all those years ago, when registering pretty much anything that come into my head, heard on the news, rhymed or just looked half decent had me cards out.

Oh well, I console myself knowing that if it was not for people like me, the chaps at Nominet would not have, oh so posh executive loo's :D

I have quite a few domains and am thinking about selling some, how easy is it to find someone who wants to buy?

Regards

That depends on the quality of the domains you have.

If you have quality generics people are always prepared to buy them but you need to have a good idea of value so that you get a fair price. Where you sell them and how much marketing you do will affect the price you achieve. The prices offered on here are wholesale prices as opposed to end user prices.

If you have a bulk sale strategy, then if you have reasonable domains at reasonable prices, they will also go here, but the price has to be right.

If your domains aren't that great, you probably won't sell any.

Rgds

Regards

Ha ha, we all knew it was coming, first of all he is new to all this, and next he has a load of hyphen and number domains he cant sell.

Perfect for this forum.

DA, you should def get rid of them :p

I got a guy in Siberia who is into names like that.

If people check out previous prices then names like them will show up :p

Perfect for this forum.

he he he...

I quite like some numbers, if they are 365 or 247, easy for marketing purposes, anything else is no good! Hyphens, yes for product search engine marketing, but again for very little else...

I better sell 5aside.com and Vans4u.com pretty quick then or are we just talking about .co.uk's

Last edited:

Thanks Rob

I Remember speaking to Leeroy and this was his reply

Leeroy

Classified Rating: % ()

Domain Trader Rating:
(100% / 7) Re: 5aside.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Paul,

I would say that the .co.uk is more valuable on this occasion with these names to a UK company.

However, soccer is growing in the USA and 5aside with start springing up, maybe in a few years you could be sitting on a gold mind .

Regards,
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulleahy
Hi Lee

How much do you think i would get for 5aside.com/.net

Kind Regards

Paul

Sorry Rob about the delay in replying as i had to dig this one out it looks like he didnt buy it he registered it

Last edited:
Always amuses me how people quote the exceptions to the rules when it comes to general statements.

I mean M1.co.uk being centre of manchester has value, but does that mean M-1.co.uk is of the same value ? and how about Manchester1.co.uk and Manchester-1.co.uk, or Mcr-1.co.uk and mcr1.co.uk ?

I can name at least 20 LLN/NLL/LNN/NNL off the top of my head that are doing nothing and are unreg, generally speaking they are not worth that much unless they mean something to someone.

Always amuses me how people quote the exceptions to the rules when it comes to general statements.

I mean M1.co.uk being centre of manchester has value, but does that mean M-1.co.uk is of the same value ? and how about Manchester1.co.uk and Manchester-1.co.uk, or Mcr-1.co.uk and mcr1.co.uk ?

I can name at least 20 LLN/NLL/LNN/NNL off the top of my head that are doing nothing and are unreg, generally speaking they are not worth that much unless they mean something to someone.

Again that Reminds me what is 1ne.co.uk worth then if numbers arent worth registering

£79,995 + VAT for ConsumerLoans.co.uk. Wake up and open your eyes you silly f*cker.

Also would you pay 80k+ for consumerloans.co.uk and leave Consumer-Loans.co.uk to be registered I let everyone else make up their own mind pity really i had high hopes.

5aside.com is for sale that brand new audi tt isnt going buy itself

I must have missed where anyone said they are not worth registering END OF!

GENERALLY speaking a number/hyphen isnt as valuable as as a name without numbers, to the most people out of the buyers.

Again that Reminds me what is 1ne.co.uk worth then if numbers arent worth registering

p.s.

10n.co.uk
12elve.co.uk
13teen.co.uk
14teen.co.uk
15teen.co.uk
16teen.co.uk
17teen.co.uk
19teen.co.uk
20one.co.uk
0n3.co.uk
0n4.co.uk
2elve.co.uk
3teen.co.uk
5teen.co.uk
2ty.co.uk
2enty.co.uk

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom