Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tag holder server question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know that this information is valuable and that all I can offer is good catching karma in return.

I'm looking at the nominet member > tag holder > dac access process.

Am I correct that to catch, all you need a way of sending a lot of emails that are PGP signed with the email in a specific format?

I see that to be a tag holder and access to the DAC you need to list a server.

So my question is how do I get a good server that wont have limits of 500 emails an hour (like a shared hosting plan)? Do you have any recommendations? How can I send out up to 432,000 emails in a day legitimately? Will all dedicated servers allow this? How about running it from a local server?

Would appreciate the advice because I'm lost with my research - but I know that this is the secret recipe - even a few starting tips by PM are more than appreciated.... please... :(

You don't send 432,000 emails. You have 432,000 lookupsper 24 hours, and you only send the email when it's free to reg. If you send lots of emails to the automaton, you'll get blocked by Nominet I'd imagine.

You also don't run on a shared host - dedicated is the way forward.

Thanks both. Can EPP query the DAC quickly with a script?

If anyone has any recommendation for a dedicated server or if ther have advice on how to get started with a home mac server - would appreciate a nudge in the right direction

Thx

Dale & Simon @ dropsystem.co.uk sells a script for PGP that you could run from home if you wanted to test the water that way.

Thanks both. Can EPP query the DAC quickly with a script?

If anyone has any recommendation for a dedicated server or if ther have advice on how to get started with a home mac server - would appreciate a nudge in the right direction

Thx

EPP is for registering (and other management options) not querying availability, the DAC needs a raw IP connection, so your script / application will need to handle the DAC and EPP connections.

Home server would be better during development, then migrate to a paid for solution when you think you've developed the system sufficiently. A home system should be fast enough to catch the less sought after drops, but not for the competative names.

The bit that no one has mentioned it what the DAC is.

Basically the DAC is like a till, you pass it the names/domains, it checks and returns the status, this is done by doing 'for example'

stat: me.co.uk

It returns the result.

You can also send for example

stat: me.co.uk, you.co.uk, us.co.uk

it then returns them one by one or all together depending on ur code.

You then parse the returned data, make your choices EEP (XML) into another connection to register the domain (or attempt to), or discard the result/do something else.

If your not using EEP, then your script would fire PGP with the same instruction.

So you would never be sending 4 emails a second 24/7, you only send PGP/EPP upon the dac telling you the name is available.

I don't have a tag and only have rough notes to hand but I think that covers it all.

I'll second aZooZa's hosted system, its by far and away the most flexible system, and highly configurable. Its the 'swiss army knife' of dac hosting :).

I like to flick switches and fiddle with dials so I get the feeling the first month, when I get sorted the only thing I'm going to catch is a slap off my Partner in Crime coz I'll be busy playing with the options :p

Caughts I think has its advantages in that its straight out the box and does exactly what it says on the tin, so no chances of messing things (as above).

I'll second aZooZa's hosted system, its by far and away the most flexible system, and highly configurable. Its the 'swiss army knife' of dac hosting :).

I like to flick switches and fiddle with dials so I get the feeling the first month, when I get sorted the only thing I'm going to catch is a slap off my Partner in Crime coz I'll be busy playing with the options :p

Caughts I think has its advantages in that its straight out the box and does exactly what it says on the tin, so no chances of messing things (as above).
Oh dear - we're just about to launch a big update to the hosted EPP system with even more configurable parameters. Anyway, you can use it in 'default' mode anyway without having to fiddle with anything. Thanks Skinner!

but but but I like playing with switches and things :p

I think I'm going to star in the new Saw 6 Movie, Jigsaw is going to put me in a room full of dials and switches and everyone of them is going to do something nasty, all I have do is sit and wait and not touch anything for 3 minutes.

William Hill have stopped taking bets of less than 4.5 seconds before I'm dead. :p

Thanks for these tips also thanks for the PMs offering me deals on your catching software - I've deleted a few pm's from my account - but it may fill soon until I can go through all the PMs.

Thanks for these tips also thanks for the PMs offering me deals on your catching software - I've deleted a few pm's from my account - but it may fill soon until I can go through all the PMs.
No need to buy anything from me -- I just wanted to give you a few tips -- in exchange for some karma ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts