Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The London Office for Verifications and Registrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The London Office of Verifications and Registrations

Got a call from someone from The London Office of Verifications and Registrations www.loovar.co.uk today. I have a small business and the lady who phoned told me who she was calling from and that they had received an application to have my company name registered in all the other available extensions ie: .net, .biz, .info, .eu. I was told they also wanted the .co.uk extension which I already have and the .com extension. I was also told the company applying for the extensions was in the same line of business as I am and was also based in London, as I am.

I was told that they were calling to verify that I was the person applying for the extensions and when I said no they said it was probably being applied for with malicious attempt to draw traffic away from my site. They said that as I was already trading under that name that they would give me 1st refusal. I was out at the time and I admit it kinda put the frighteners on me and I foolishly decided to go ahead and purchase these domain extensions. Total price £470. (£100 each for 2years + VAT.)

I did ask them if they were from Nominet and they said no they were from The London Office of Verifications and Registrations. It sounds like some body for domains and I bought it! What a plonker! It turns out they're no more than another register! And their domain www.loovar.co.uk was only registered 26 days only. And they haven't bother to register .net, .biz, .info, .eu. for their domain name!:rolleyes:
Let's face it...domains registered in the UK are on a first-come first-served basis and no registrar would bother checking if companies with different extensions might be affected by new registrations. Hardly their concern! But at the time I didn't think they were just a registrar.

I contacted Nominet and they said to contact Trading Standards.
I sent Loovar an email 1st and told them of my intent to inform trading standards if they don't cancel the domains and refund me.

Hope no-one else falls for this one!!!

Coder
---------

Last edited:
Hmm I quite like this
.co.uk Short for .company.united kingdom. Most widely known and used TLd domain type for the United Kingdom with only companies trading in the UK allowed to own them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just thinking if you paid by credit card, could you not call your issuer and stop the transactions?

The business changed names in July. There are two directors, if you need welsh addresses let me know..

Just thinking if you paid by credit card, could you not call your issuer and stop the transactions?

Tried that, they can't do it.
They said they haven't any control there end on that, only DD's.
Maybe when it comes out I could say I don't know anything about it!! And get the money back that way. It's happened before when someone used my details to pay a parking fine!!:evil:

Tried that, they can't do it.
They said they haven't any control there end on that, only DD's.
Maybe when it comes out I could say I don't know anything about it!! And get the money back that way. It's happened before when someone used my details to pay a parking fine!!:evil:

You could initiate a chargeback..

Maybe you could have then on the Distance Selling Regulations
The key features of the regulations are:

you must give consumers clear information including details of the goods or services offered, delivery arrangements and payment, the supplier's details and the consumer's cancellation right before they buy (known as prior information)
you must also provide this information in writing
the consumer has a cooling-off period of seven working days.
Twll them you are rejecting the service under DSR, if they dont comply, then charge back.

Maybe you could have then on the Distance Selling Regulations

Thanks meinthecorner! Didn't think of that!
It doesn't say anything about that on their Terms and Conditions.

It says this in their Payment Policies - Payment Processing
:By purchasing our domain and/or hosting services, you are agree to pay London Office of Verifications and Registrations Ltd the required duration of said service(s) in full. If the customer wishes to cancel before the full length paid for, we will refund/credit for un-used service time paid. Please note that there may be an additional admin charge of no more than ?20 (UK GBP) for early cancellations.

and this in their Cancellation policy: Fees for products and services are non-refundable, unless there is an express money-back guarantee.

Isn't that were you don't get the goods?
They did what they said, it's just they lied to pressure me into the expensive purchase.

They cold called you and you haven't been given and cooling off period

The distance selling regulations won' come into play if the domains are for a business.

Also, as domains count as a 'custom' item, i.e. made just for you, they aren't covered unfortunately

I do hope you can get your money back - it's not fair :(

The distance selling regulations won' come into play if the domains are for a business.

Also, as domains count as a 'custom' item, i.e. made just for you, they aren't covered unfortunately

I do hope you can get your money back - it's not fair :(

Oh Cr*p!!!:(

I think companies can charge a nominal "Admin \ restock fee" I'm sure i've read that somewhere...

They mentioned £20.

Please note that there may be an additional admin charge of no more than ?20 (UK GBP) for early cancellations.
Hope that for the cooling off period but they don't mention anything about a cooling off period.

They do say:
You have ninety (90) days to dispute any charge or payment processed by London Office of Verifications and Registrations Ltd.

If you paid on your personal card not business card you are covered. I would always try the cooling off period anyway, you never know!

Business card, I'm afraid!
I certainly will try though!

I briefly discussed this subject with our solicitor a few weeks ago.

The selling tactics of Loovra are devious, but they almost certainly will deliver what they have promised, at the agreed price and time.

If you were a consumer then DSR would give you an opportunity to cancel the deal and obtain a refund. If you are making a purchase as a business customer then DSR do not applicable.

Apparently there is some grey area/overlap between consumers and business customers. There is a disclaimer on Staples website saying that it is only for business buyers - but they clearly sell to the general public in their stores.

You may be successful in claiming a refund if you pursue the matter, I would be interested to know the final outcome.

Thanks Keys for the info.
Yes they have registered the domains and forwarded them as they said they would.
I've no doubt they made up the story about a competitor ready to register the domains' other extensions. Adding extra impetus by saying they also operate from London. My proper/usual registrar say DSR regs don't apply to domains where the domain has been registered. So DSR, as you say may not work here.
I've just sent them an email pointing out that I realise they were in fact Streamlineltd operating from the same address/phone no. and sent them a link where others were complaining about Streamlineltd doing the same thing happening to them.
Told them I'll sent it all to trading standards if I don't get confirmation of a refund.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom