Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Time to kill off sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The increase to 15% is due to the fact we are improving our marketplace and also opening up sales channels to improve sales for our customers through MLS.

That's some pretty perverse marketing speak!!

Why should the rest of us pay for your new 'channels'?

If you're opening up new channels then surely the additional revenue from these would cover development costs. And to promote these shouldn't you be reducing commission?

Your logic of one related to the other is irrelevent.

S

To be honest, you just need to file a series of complaints with HM R&C, if you can show them evidence of incorrect charging by anybody, you can ask them to investigate.

Just had a PM that may shed some light :)

(not from Sedo...!)

Last edited:
Popcorn.gif

Guys please keep this civil or I'm closing this thread.

Time-out

Admin

My understanding after speaking to HMRC currently is as Sir Bob said (or didn't as he claims), "anyone who owes us, give us ya f'ing money".

Their coffers need a top up and they are being (in a way) pressured to collect money, and if you can show HMRC that sedo HAS a big ass chunk of what is LEGALLY their money, you can bet your arse right now HMRC will rag sedo like a 17 year old chav does a nova.

So put up an XX,XXX domain on SEDO, sell it, give Sedo their cut, then tell the tax man to go fetch.

no, no
we need more pageviews than the sweetpotato.co.uk thread or I will feel a bigger failure than i already probably am :D

jokes aside
when are people gonna start deleting their domains at sedo and requesting closure of accounts?
i'm serious, sedo's going down :D
vote with your feet guys

i actually have never understood mentality of people who have a link to sedo on their parked page anyway
it's like someone approaching you about buying a bunch of flowers after finding you and you direct them to covent garden flower market one sunny morning
talk about introducing them to competitors domains

surely every domainer with an ounce of sense has built at least one dedicated sales/corporate site they direct them to?

even parked.com and other parking companies, if you need to park, offer facility to have dedicated contact form that comes to you or your own link, sales site etc
you can set up bulk too so all pages have same link or individual, or none

also parking these days is a can of worms even on pure generics

i think the problem with .uk domainers is the whois makes it very hard for people to find you via whois
so figures they will visit the page/domain. actually that first before whois for most
for domains that aren't developed or pay no revenue, use the traffic and redirect en masse to your sales site or contact page

i have more enquiries every couple of months than sedo ever gave me in the 5 years or so i was with them

food for thought, and we can damage the german economy. double bubble :D

Last edited:
Commission is still 10% for fixed price parked domains.

Why does it have to be parking dependent?

Isn't it currently 10% for "maker an offer" negotiations?

Who are your MLS Registrar partners in the .uk sector?

15%. Greedy bastards.

My sentiment too considering the service from Sedo is average e.g. 5 day week operation. However its the end user that will pay, just put your price(s) up.

http://www.afternic.com/fees.php are at this level with a 5% cash back if you park. I signed up with them a few weeks ago and got a dedicated support person immediately assigned. No "pro" bullocks there.

i actually have never understood mentality of people who have a link to sedo on their parked page anyway
it's like someone approaching you about buying a bunch of flowers after finding you and you direct them to covent garden flower market one sunny morning
talk about introducing them to competitors domains

surely every domainer with an ounce of sense has built at least one dedicated sales/corporate site they direct them to?

Directing sales leads to a marketplace does have its advantages despite the sales commission at the end.

1. You don't have to deal with the inquiries directly - negates abusive tyre kickers.

2. It demonstrates to buyers what the aftermarket is about and price expectations.

3. It filters down the leads to genuine buyers.

4. The transfer process and explanation(s) is handled by someone else (support).

5. It saves you a lot of time (over the direct selling method).

SEDO is certainly not for everyone, but for a passive seller like me it's a great sales channel. I make a decent number of sales there.

I do get enquiries from contact forms provided by the other parking companies, these don't convert at the same level as SEDO offers. I think if I was a buyer with no experience of the domain marketplace, I'd feel more comfortable buying via SEDO than direct from a buyer.

I understand why they are pushing the fixed price sales with lower commissions, they obviously make more sales and more commission. I've got no idea how many offer/counter negotiations result in no sale, but I presume it's quite high.

They should as a company address the VAT issue, but I don't think thats a matter for Joanna - this should be addressed by their FD. They are not the only online company that operate in multiple countries to have peculiar VAT treatment. For example, when I buy a domain from godaddy I pay no VAT, when I buy a domain in a godaddy auction they do charge VAT.

I would really like to set up something for us all to use collectively and have looked at this before with little success.

I would want a site aimed at attracting end-user sales (so not linked directly to AD) along the lines of Names Market or Domains Shop and have us all contribute to promoting the site (with adwords and offline advertising) so with no commissions as such for at least the first year to give it some traction.

Are people just looking for simple "contact me" sales pages like this or something much more?

I think if we pool our resources, advertising funds and domain profolios we could build a strong UK domain sales platform.

Input please?

Admin

Paying sales commission is not a problem for me.

I can generate my own leads, so the market place can be dormant for all I care.

I want everything handled by someone else, so I can have a life.

I liked domains.co.uk and thought they would have built it out by now. Looks like they are sticking to their own portfolio and a lease model :(

There would be little or no benefit over individual sales pages. You don't need to set up much of a site to have people contact you about your domains - just make sure they all resolve to your sales page when they're typed in and the enquiries will come if the domains are commercially viable. With a templated email reply, it takes all of 60 seconds to process an enquiry so it's not as if you'll be kept running around all day handling buyers.

A central sales site would disproportionately benefit those with names that don't have the commercial appeal to generate their own sales leads, at the detriment of those with decent domains who would be supplying the bulk of the traffic and potential customers, some of whom would then see (and buy) 3rd party domains.

The only type of sales site that would make any sort of sense is one that is very highly selective i.e. much higher quality listings than Sedo accepts (they accept pretty much everything, after all) so that no matter which names a buyer looked at, they'd all be resoundingly commercially valuable. But that would annoy those who felt "excluded" from the platform (the majority) and would probably be perceived as clique-y.

If anything, there's a need for a sales solution (don't call it a platform, it's much more than that) that takes a much higher commission (25%? 30%? More?) but which proactively goes out and direct markets decent names to carefully selected, likely customers. In other words, a real brokerage service that brings in customers that would otherwise NEVER walk in of their own accord. But that would take a roomful of smart, switched on sales and marketing experts, plus back office support staff to match. The software side of the equation is a trivial piece of the jigsaw in comparison.

After all, it's much better to get 70% of a decent sales price regularly than 100% of nothing (or 100% of an occasional sale)

Such a sales solution would need to be super-selective as well, as the up-front expense of such a proactive approach dictates that nothing but the most commercial names can be repped.

Last edited:
Such a sales solution would need to be super-selective as well, as the up-front expense of such a proactive approach dictates that nothing but the most commercial names can be repped.

What a load of old bullocks.

I would really like to set up something for us all to use collectively and have looked at this before with little success.

I would want a site aimed at attracting end-user sales (so not linked directly to AD) along the lines of Names Market or Domains Shop and have us all contribute to promoting the site (with adwords and offline advertising) so with no commissions as such for at least the first year to give it some traction.

Are people just looking for simple "contact me" sales pages like this or something much more?

I think if we pool our resources, advertising funds and domain profolios we could build a strong UK domain sales platform.

Input please?

Admin

With respect Alan, that sounds like an awfully good deal for you.

You build the site, we stock the shelves, build the links and/or pay to promote the 'brand' for you. And what do we get out of it? No commission for at least a year.

Without an ownership stake, that would be a total non-starter for me.

- Rob

With respect Alan, that sounds like an awfully good deal for you.

You build the site, we stock the shelves, build the links and/or pay to promote the 'brand' for you. And what do we get out of it? No commission for at least a year.

Without an ownership stake, that would be a total non-starter for me.

- Rob
I think Alan means the seller pays no commission for a year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom