Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Time to try and get fit again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Systreg - re smoking, I smoked for 20+ years and stopped a few times - once for 1.5 years, but the way I stopped for good was this;

I was going to China on business for a week. I knew my schedule would be hectic so hopefully it would take my mind off cigs and it would be awkward to buy them.

For a week or two before I went, I started to think of myself as being a non smoker after the trip; I used to picture myself turning down a cig and saying 'no thanks, I don't smoke'.

I told myself that every time I thought about smoking (on the trip), I'd swap my thoughts to feeling healthy instead.

I've been a non-smoker for almost 8 years now - that's about £12k in my pocket (I wasn't a chain smoker...10-15 a day) and it's the best thing I ever did.

Course, you've got to want to stop - if you don't want to you'll never do it. I wanted to because I was fed up being controlled by ciggies - that panic when you realise at 9.50pm that you won't have any left in the morning unless you get up and go to the shops...always having to know that you've got some...

Oh, and the sleeping...just stop taking acid before you go to bed ;-)

I've never understood the idea of a good looking corpse :p

a wise old scot I used to work with had the plan to use all of his organs up to 99% capacity and for them to go wrong at the same time, so he 'got his money's worth' :D
lol. he was hilarious, great guy to work with. actually he never smoked or did drugs. old school, boozing was his game

I'm no doctor, but you just sound dehydrated. These head things i've experienced in a long race in France in the sun, close your eyes and you nearly pass out.

Sort hydration, with some riding might definitely help you sleep. Not eating after 9pm and no caffeine after 6 - see how it goes.

Dunno, i'd see a doc, even just to make sure it's nothing more serious!

@ WigWam, I don't own a mobile phone or iphone so I can't use any apps :)

@ Brewsters, I'd like to stop smoking if I could, but I know that the chances of me stopping smoking are very slim, cutting right down is the only option for me.

@ RatBoy, I don't think it's a dehydration thing, as I just sit at the computer all day, I drink a lot of juice during the day, I do drink coffee, but only decaf, as normal coffee compounds my cardiac arrhythmia and makes my heart miss a lot of beats and become more erratic, been on decaf for about 8 years now and I haven't drank alcohol since Dec 2007, apart from on one occasion since then.

Last edited:
I suppose now is as good a time as any to revive my cycling site, just spent a few hours fecking about with it after doing a WP version update, I said I would never do another WP update, but clicked it anyway, and as a result loads of things weren't working properly, logo has gone missing, think I got it working correctly now apart from the logo, I'll use it to blog about my progress cycling www.cycle.org.uk

Quick question, in the footer of the site, it says, Copyright © 2011 · Lifestyle Theme on Genesis Framework, anyone know how I change that to Cycle.org.uk? What file at the webhosts do I need to edit, I can't find it?

[edit]

Found the answer within the WP control panel under edit theme >> Theme Functions, just had to change the current name and url to the cycle.org.uk one, I was trawling through HostGator looking for something called, footer, took bloody ages and it was in front of me all the time :)

Last edited:
My bike still hasn't arrives yet (ordered Nov 14th), sent Chain Reaction Cycles an email asking when delivery should be expected, they replied today saying:

We do apologise, there has been a delay in processing your order. This has not been caused by any problems with your order, but unfortunately is due to an unforeseen delay.

We will endeavour to get your order dispatched as quickly as possible.

Once again, we apologise for the delay and for any inconvenience caused.

Pain in the arse :mad:

Could someone advise on this, please, I want to put an Storeburst store on my cycle.org.uk site, but I'm not sure how to do this, in HostGator I can set up a subdomain such as shop.cycle.org.uk

Problem is, currently, the nameservers are pointed to HostGator for the main url, but I would need to put SB nameservers on when adding the sub domain to the SB site.

In my Nominet account, is it possible to add SB nameservers in with the current HostGator nameservers, or does that not work doing it that way? I could try it but don't want to break something, thought I would ask first.

In Nominet it would look like this:

cycle.org.uk
ns2587.hostgator.com
ns2588.hostgator.com
ns1.webtistic.co.uk
ns2.webtistic.co.uk

If I added them so the 4 nameservers are pointing to cycle.org.uk, would SB pick up that the subdomain is meant to be directed to the SB nameservers due to the main url having SB nameservers added. Sorry, just read this back, it sounds complicated, not sure I'm explaining it very well.

shameless plug. GETFIT.co.uk - still not sorted a backend bootcamp partner for it yet altho its in the plan so its still for sale :cool:

However one of the best things in the world for getting fit is getting a dog.

2x walkies a day and up the time and pace.

Get fit enough to start running with it and ur onto a winner.

Done me a treat :cool:

Does anyone know if I can do this below? Cheers.

Could someone advise on this, please, I want to put an Storeburst store on my cycle.org.uk site, but I'm not sure how to do this, in HostGator I can set up a subdomain such as shop.cycle.org.uk

Problem is, currently, the nameservers are pointed to HostGator for the main url, but I would need to put SB nameservers on when adding the sub domain to the SB site.

In my Nominet account, is it possible to add SB nameservers in with the current HostGator nameservers, or does that not work doing it that way? I could try it but don't want to break something, thought I would ask first.

In Nominet it would look like this:

cycle.org.uk
ns2587.hostgator.com
ns2588.hostgator.com
ns1.webtistic.co.uk
ns2.webtistic.co.uk

If I added them so the 4 nameservers are pointing to cycle.org.uk, would SB pick up that the subdomain is meant to be directed to the SB nameservers due to the main url having SB nameservers added. Sorry, just read this back, it sounds complicated, not sure I'm explaining it very well.

Adding the four name servers at Nominet won't work and will result in Cycle.org.uk appearing offline for some visitors if either of the webtistic.co.uk name servers are queried.

You have three choices:

1) Create an A record pointing shop.cycle.org.uk to the IP address for the StoreBurst site (you'd need to confirm with SB the IP address to use).

2) Create a CNAME record pointing shop.cycle.org.uk to webserver.webtistic.co.uk or whatever host name they're using (again, you'd need to check with SB).

3) Create a subdomain of shop.cycle.org.uk and delegate responsibility for it to the webtistic.co.uk nameservers. I've never used HostGator but I don't expect they support this.

Your best option is to use method #2 (unless method #3 is supported), that way if SB change the IP address of their system, you won't need to update the shop.cycle.org.uk record.

Hi Kev,

Thanks mate, I'm pretty sure HostGator don't do option 3 for the delegating thing.

Nominet don't do the A records things either, not sure how to get round that, might be easier to reg a similar name for the store part of the site and just use that instead

As of 20 minutes ago, my new bike has arrived, it's looks good and it's so frigging light :) None of the other stuff has turned up yet, that still says processing on the CRC site, so does the bike but that must have been sent Friday and they haven't updated it yet

Nominet don't do the A records things either, not sure how to get round that, might be easier to reg a similar name for the store part of the site and just use that instead

You should be able to create A records and CNAME records at Hostgator using their control panel. Like I say mate, I've never used them, but I'm presuming you can add various DNS records.

That way you leave the nameservers pointed to Hostgator for cycle.org.uk and just add a new A/CNAME record for shop.cycle.org.uk at Hostgator pointing to SB.

Ahhh, ok, I'll have a look at their control panel and see if there's anything like that in there, can't remember seeing that type of thing before, but I generally don't look at much other than the file manager in there, apart from a cursory glance when I first joined HostGator, so I might have missed it.

Hi Systreg.

I was a big cyclist in my younger days, regularly doing over 300 miles a week with a resting heartrate of 32. Then I ended up getting M.E. following glandular fever and was bedridden with the thing. I gradually improved but I thought I'd never cycle again.

A couple of years ago I bought an Ezee Forza electric bike. It was the best thing I ever did. It allowed me to gradually get my fitness back at my own pace. As soon as you get tired you just give the throttle a little twist and it will tow you up a mountain !! Now I use much less throttle. I sound like I work for them or something but it really is a fantastic thing for people who want to get fit but have health issues. Thr battery gives a range of around 30 miles or more dependiong on how much throttle you use and charges in a couple of hours. I was over 15 stone when I started and it managed my weight no problem.

All the best with things. I know how difficult it can be, but I'm sure you can do it.

Cheers,
Steve.

Ps. Just read you got your new bike. Great stuff. That 'new bike' feeling is just the best !

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your illness, I used to know someone with ME, horrible condition, I remember when ME was first doing the rounds quite a few years back, it was in the news a lot all of a sudden, and people didn't understand it, they used to think people who had it were just lazy, glad to hear you're recovering and now out on the bike again.

Ps. Just read you got your new bike. Great stuff. That 'new bike' feeling is just the best !

Yeah, great feeling, though I did look a bit of a numpty when it arrived, I was standing at the back of the delivery van, I was only expecting a small package with a mini pump and front lights, as the bike order still says it's processing, and I thought it hadn't been sent yet, so when I see a large bike box with CRC on the side of it, I said, is that mine, he says yes, the mrs and my boy are standing at the door, I shouted out across the garden, it's the bike, with a big grin on my face and my hands in the air, the delivery man said, is it for your kid, I said no, it's for me :)

[edit]

Just need to give it the once over to make sure everything is tight and adjusted correctly, and stick the bars and pedals on:

[edit]

Just had an email from Chain Reaction Cycles saying the rest of my order has been dispatched by 24 hour parcel post, they're paying for that, should all be here tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Hi Systreg. Yes, the M.E. certainly was a learning experience. My girlfriend at the time had glandular fever for a couple of weeks. I got it and it just wouldn't go away. Then they said it was M.E. All I knew was I'd gone from being megafit to fainting if I stood up for any time in the space of a week ! I just appreciate everything so much more now :D

The bike looks great. What make is it ? I'm sure if you take it easy at first you'll reap enormous benefits from it. It's amazing how quickly the body adapts with a little gentle encouragement !

Be great if you could keep us all updated on how you're doing with it.

Cheers,
Steve.

Nice looking bike that!! I love going on bike rides just wish I could do it more often :cry:

@ Steve, horrible thing to happen out of the blue like that, my breathing problem was similar, riding fine on the 2 days before, then bang the next day, I'd had a bad chest the previous week, so may have started riding again too soon after that, which may have contributed to the problems.

What make is it ?

It's a BeOne, they're a Dutch company.

Be great if you could keep us all updated on how you're doing with it.

I'm keeping a blog on my Cycle site (need to get some articles on there in the other sections) of how I get on with getting fit and losing weight. I'm cutting right back on how much I smoke from this week, already back on the healthy foods, cutting out most of the rubbish I eat. It's not the best time of year to start cyling, but it's now or never, providing my breathing doesn't go again, I should be pretty fit again come spring, then I can do a lot more with the better weather then.

I love going on bike rides just wish I could do it more often :cry:

Make time, Wayne, no excuse for not riding :), well, unless it's pouring down, I hate riding in the rain and wont go out in it, some people love it, but I get no enjoyment from getting soaked and cold.

It rains most days here, rain is forecast for 8 out of the next 10 day, it's pouring down at the moment, and has been for days, apart from Sunday, but it's supposed to be one of the dry days tomorrow, we'll see, I'll be ordering some bike rollers or a turbo trainer to put in the outhouse, so I can do a bit indoors when it's raining, everyday then :)

I enjoyed reading your blog Systreg and the bike looks great. A nice light hybrid has gotta be the way to go hasn't it. And with all those extra bits you're sure to have that new bike feeling for a good while to come :)

All the best with the winter riding and I hope next year finds you fully fit and healthy again (where did 2011 go ?!).

Just a little update, I bought some bike rollers for use over the winter and found them difficult to balance on, not helped by having mountain bike tyres on the bike, so then I decided to buy a support stand for the rollers, much better, just uploaded a couple of videos on myself trying the rollers out, no comments on my legs lol :lol: http://www.youtube.com/cycleorguk and blog here Cycling Blog

Last edited:
Wow do ear plugs come as standard haha?

Just a little update, I bought some bike rollers for use over the winter and found them difficult to balance on, not helped by having mountain bike tyres on the bike, so then I decided to buy a support stand for the rollers, much better, just uploaded a couple of videos on myself trying the rollers out, no comments on my legs lol :lol: http://www.youtube.com/cycleorguk and blog here Cycling Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom