Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk How Many have you got?

.UK How Many have you got since the Launch?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SF

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Its been a few months now since the launch of .uk extension. I am just wondering how many you have registered, just numbers please.

Me: 60

forced: 40 odd
wanted to: 15 ish
other reason: 5

Last edited:
Registered because I wanted to or had to because it was a drops/hand registered with co.uk

None because I wanted to

& about 10 from drops/hand registered co.uk

Less than 10....

Sean - sounds like you might have the biggest portfolio of .uk domains in the country.

Forced 5 (probably sold about the same as well with co.uk)
Registered 2
Already starting to wonder if it was a mistake launching a site on one now I'm thinking of offline advertising.

In human terms;

.co.uk is an executive on £300K per year with an Italia 458 in the garage.

.uk is still in diapers.

Anthony, do you mind me asking why?

No big sites have moved over to it yet as there main domain. nobody not into domains / technology I speak seem to know anything about.

It just looks wrong in print like I've made a typo (maybe I think this because I'm into domains)

If I hadn't picked up some nice links already to the domain I'd have moved to the .com (I still might with and 301 the .co.uk/uk)

With respect, these all sound like your own psychological reasons. I wondered if you'd noticed something that pointed to the .uk causing you a disadvantage over the .uk?

.com is maybe/probably a whole different discussion?

It is psychological reasons but then advertising is all about psychology.

If the site ever takes off I have to wonder if you might loose business because people wrongly assume I cant even spell my own web address correctly.

Haven't spoken to many people about it yet so not a good representative sample. But the two times I've given the .uk email over the phone the person on the other end have asked do I mean .co.uk.

If a business is 100% online then its much less of an issue I guess.

Ranking wise I'm no expert but the site seems to be doing just as well as I'd expect a co.uk to do at this stage.

The thinking behind the .com everyone knows what this is so it doesn't mater which wins long term .co.uk/.uk

28 .uk and very slowly growing

28 .uk domains registered

Finding that although I'm a fan of .uk (being a better long term tld than .co.uk)
I have not moved over .co.uk trading sites to .uk as the money cost of migration is too high
and the risk on SEO / traffic loss is also too high.

With no real take up of .uk there is no commercial pressure that .co.uk looks "old" compared to the new shiny .uk.

Finally I'm not sure people (not on this forum) would always associate .uk as a website, so to be safe would have to start adding the prefix www.
so saving .co (3 characters) and adding www.(4 characters), one the benefits of a shorter .uk URL would not really exist!

1 forced and 1 to see if how the type-in compared to co.uk (it doesn't)

Did 1 for type-in comparison (August 2014).

the .co.uk 9,299
the .uk 725

Nice domain! It's a no brainer for most domains as good as that - either the parking will more than cover the reg fee or the extra potential sales leads will be worth the extra cost

None of my clients (mix of charity and private) were/are interested in .UK at all. One has adopted a new .systems gTLD. All remain .co.uk.

Guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom