Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the vote result. I think most voters went on gut instinct and most probably made their vote on what they perceived the impact would be on immigration. Of course it was a vote on an issue much bigger than that but it became an immigration based vote. That's a shame because lack of border control and a weak government that says 'we see no reasonable limit to immigration' is culpable for a large part of the immigration problem. The political, economic and cultural impact of the UK leaving the UK will be huge. Nobody knows what will happen next and few are even attempting to claim they know what will happen next. UK has rolled the dice..... it's going to be very interesting.

I'm surprised at the vote result. I think most voters went on gut instinct and most probably made their vote on what they perceived the impact would be on immigration. Of course it was a vote on an issue much bigger than that but it became an immigration based vote. That's a shame because lack of border control and a weak government that says 'we see no reasonable limit to immigration' is culpable for a large part of the immigration problem. The political, economic and cultural impact of the UK leaving the UK will be huge. Nobody knows what will happen next and few are even attempting to claim they know what will happen next. UK has rolled the dice..... it's going to be very interesting.

I think the vote on this forum was a good indication and I think the 'immigration' card is very overplayed and not an accurate reflection on why 50% of leavers voted out. You may just as well say that the remainers only voted that way because of the economy threats.

Just out of interest @admin when did you last live in the UK?

As for the future...... said it before and will say it again, my crystal ball don't work :) However, I can more countries leaving.

Just out of interest @admin when did you last live in the UK?

As for the future...... said it before and will say it again, my crystal ball don't work :) However, I can more countries leaving.

Nearly 10 years since I lived in the UK

We just need to cut out the defeatist attitude in our political establishment. It's in every UK politicians constituents interest to make the UK strong.

Currently there are just "member states", but could the EU become a membership organisation with a new type of member?
  • Eurozone member
  • EU member
  • Affiliated member?
You pay in, you meet core criteria, you get access to the market (or reduced tariff access), but you don't get a vote and don't have to implement the rules in full.

There is a list of European continent countries who aren't members (the link includes mostly non European ones obviously).

Is it an opportunity for the EU to become broader by serving different interests in different ways?

The UK, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Turkey, Andorra, Moldova, Ukraine and Belarus?

Possibly Netherlands too?

Of course, three big interesting issues are the Scotland issue, the Northern Ireland issue, and the Gibraltar issue.

This is someone's comment I've just seen in The Guardian, think it makes sense and I thought I'd share:

'Britain will find itself in dire straits.
In thirty years from now, a more modest Britain will then be allowed to rejoin the Union, but by then they will do so without their present-day sense of superiority towards the rest of Europe.'

But UK refused to join in 1957, relied on the Commonwealth and formed the rival EFTA
It got into dire straits
It begged to join the EU
It was vetoed by De Gaulle
After De Gaulle died it was eventually allowed to join in 1972 [with referendum 1975]
It spent the next 40 years moaning & asking for special treatment and opt outs
Now it is throwing its 'toys out of the pram' and demanding a rewrite of the 1957 Treaty of Rome [fundamental principles] or else it will leave
And if it leaves it will then demand special trade agreements better than anyone else has 'because we're worth it'

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it."

I admit I'm gutted at the result. I'm astonished that we have yet to hear from any of the three main faces of the leave campaign, i.e. Boris, Gove or Farage. I think they owe it to the British people to come and explain to us how they think we should move forward from this point - their (Gove and Johnson) body language on Friday at their conference was quite strange I thought, i.e. looked like they won something that they didn't ever wish to win in the first place. Just my opinion.

I admit I'm gutted at the result. I'm astonished that we have yet to hear from any of the three main faces of the leave campaign, i.e. Boris, Gove or Farage. I think they owe it to the British people to come and explain to us how they think we should move forward from this point - their (Gove and Johnson) body language on Friday at their conference was quite strange I thought, i.e. looked like they won something that they didn't ever wish to win in the first place. Just my opinion.

Farage was in the Telegraph yesterday, reportedly furious at being sidelined from future discussions by the official Vote Leave team.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-to-take-control-of-britains-exit-from-the-e/

Perhaps he's taking a breather to lawyer up and/or consider his options?

Farage was in the Telegraph yesterday, reportedly furious at being sidelined from future discussions by the official Vote Leave team.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-to-take-control-of-britains-exit-from-the-e/

Perhaps he's taking a breather to lawyer up and/or consider his options?

Possibly. I don't really care what Farage thinks, but I would like to hear from the other 2 sooner rather than later as they are most likely going to be tasked with sorting out the way forward and I suspect they don't really have a clue.

The first thing that has to be done is to steady the markets, the BOE have committed 250 billion sterling to defend the pound. We need to keep our triple A rating if we can. Osborne will be doing his job to this effect to maintain his credibility, at least what is left of it. IDS was on BBC this morning, and showed statesmanlike confidence in his message.
The government need to ignore the natural criticism and unite to a man/woman. Easier said than done though.

IDS was on BBC this morning, and showed statesmanlike confidence in his message.

I'm not sure we were watching the same programme if you think that. Pretty much avoided answering any questions put to him on Andrew Marr.

Possibly. I don't really care what Farage thinks, but I would like to hear from the other 2 sooner rather than later as they are most likely going to be tasked with sorting out the way forward and I suspect they don't really have a clue.
I think Farage should have some part in the negotiating team. Don't know if he would become a tory again.

I'm not sure we were watching the same programme if you think that. Pretty much avoided answering any questions put to him on Andrew Marr.
I'll watch it again but I think he said the party were committed to reducing immigration, he couldn't say if it would be an Australian style points system. He said some money saved from the EU membership fee would go to the NHS. He's a very genuine guy IMO.

It's possible Boris and Gove naively expected to be able to take credit for the result but leave Cameron the job of actually squaring the circle. He scuppered that by resigning immediately.

So they're probably very busy trying to plan something. A pro brexit MP was tweeting yesterday about how strange it felt to be needing to write a manifesto after a vote, rather than before.

I think politicians will go back to their constituencies rather than work with one eye on a future career in what has been a gravy train for politicians.
I don't think England politics is going to be as attractive for career politicians in the future, but do think that will be a good thing.
If I was a politician, whichever side I was on I would look back to my constituency and see what work needs to be done, sometimes it's more important to look inwards rather than outwards.

This is only my opinion, I respect others have their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom