Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Was I right to drop CheapMobilePhones.tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I expect I'm not alone in finding it hard to drop some names. A day or so ago I dropped CheapMobilePhones.tv. This is a pretty good name for an affiliate site, with a healthy 22,000 monthly exacts. I would still renew and sell the name if anyone wants it, but I'm not going to bargain basement it. The reason I dropped it is that I am finding it hard to find the time to properly market my names as well as building sites etc. You see, I already have a cheap mobile phones site, which is in bad need of some attention, so I figure I should be strict with myself and drop names which I am not finding the time to market or develop.

I also see that .tv doesn't seem to achieve particularly good prices, with a very strong keyphrase like carinsurance.tv only going for $13,200, even though internet TV is set to breakthrough in 2012.

Who thinks dropping CheapMobilePhones.tv was right then?

Thanks

I don't quite understand why you're prepared to let it drop, but not prepared to sell it at a lower price? Is that not "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

I don't quite understand why you're prepared to let it drop, but not prepared to sell it at a lower price? Is that not "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

I already think it's an absolute bargain at the price I'm offering it, and I have sites in this sector, so I'm not prepared to give away too much to potential competitors.

Rgds

But surely if you let it drop it will go to potential competitors ?

You're better off getting some return for it rather than nothing, even though it might not be as much as you'd like for it.

I already think it's an absolute bargain at the price I'm offering it, and I have sites in this sector, so I'm not prepared to give away too much to potential competitors.

Rgds

Sorry, still not with you. For that to be even mildly rational, you'd be wanting to let it drop quietly, so nobody notices, rather than announcing you're going to let it drop.

Don't mean to troll, but I am actually bamboozled by this.

But surely if you let it drop it will go to potential competitors ?

You're better off getting some return for it rather than nothing, even though it might not be as much as you'd like for it.

All I will say is that if I have to drop, it's a way of motivating myself to get my act together on other domains I own. Acorn isn't the place to offer .tv domains anyway.

Sorry, still not with you. For that to be even mildly rational, you'd be wanting to let it drop quietly, so nobody notices, rather than announcing you're going to let it drop.

Don't mean to troll, but I am actually bamboozled by this.

I have got to the stage now where I feel I have a lot of opportunities in developing domains I own, if only I had the time to do it. Therefore I am sometimes prepared to clear out what I regard as good domains. I'm often surprised that no-one else on Acorn sees any potential though.

Rgds

+1.

And why ask the question if all you're going to do is defend your 'decision'? :confused:

Yes, you were right to let it drop, but as others have said it's normally going to be better to get something for it than nothing at all. Counterproductive.

How much is a .tv registration? 8 quid a year?

Why start a thread about it? If you feel the name will make you some money in the near future then keep it..

I own a few names which dont have any search volume or had any interest over the past 1 or 2 years but I know that they will give me a good return one day and that's why I decided to keep them.

One good sale will give you enough return to keep your portfolio for a few years.

I've renewed it now. Explanation to follow shortly ...

I pay $39.99 to renew .tv at GoDaddy. Is someone else a lot cheaper??

Rgds

I've renewed it now. Explanation to follow shortly ...

I pay $39.99 to renew .tv at GoDaddy. Is someone else a lot cheaper??

Rgds

123-reg look cheap at 9.99 did you not try and track down any discount codes for go daddy you can nearly always find a better deal with a quick Google for a code

123-reg look cheap at 9.99 did you not try and track down any discount codes for go daddy you can nearly always find a better deal with a quick Google for a code

I must admit I'm surprised that 123-reg is cheaper than GoDaddy, good job I only have a few .tv.

No, I didn't Google for a code, when I've tried this in the past I don't remember finding ones valid for renewals.

Rgds

Here's the explanation as to why I post these "Was I right?" threads. It's really to test the market for domains that may interest other affiliates. I think a domain like CheapMobilePhones.tv is an affiliate domain, not really an end user domain, as they'll use their brands. If I won't develop in the near future, I have to sell, and that means to another affiliate, or otherwise I will be losing money. I am often very surprised that I can't sell domains like this on Acorn (e.g. offered this for £270, but that price now withdrawn as it's back in my long term portfolio), but it's a good "reality check" nevertheless.

I also tend to make these posts when I'm not sure I should really drop it. In this case, I've mulled it over and have renewed.

Rgds

I was quite surprised at 123-reg being cheapest as well I've a couple of .tv's coming up for renewal so it was worth the look.

I often have the same dilemmas as to should I renew one of them has 100k globals and the other is mortgage related 27k locals yet neither have had any interest when posted here slowly starting to se more appear on tv ads so hopefully its just a case of hang on and wait.

Same story with some of the .eu's the dot com of one of mine sold for 5 and a half million yet the .eu doesn't get a sniff of interest strange

I often have the same dilemmas as to should I renew one of them has 100k globals and the other is mortgage related 27k locals yet neither have had any interest when posted here slowly starting to se more appear on tv ads so hopefully its just a case of hang on and wait.

Same story with some of the .eu's the dot com of one of mine sold for 5 and a half million yet the .eu doesn't get a sniff of interest strange

Have you actively marketed these to potential end users? That's what I'd say you need to do. I would say letters to potential end users if the domain is good enough. I have done a bit of this, but it's finding the time.

Rgds

Have you actively marketed these to potential end users? That's what I'd say you need to do. I would say letters to potential end users if the domain is good enough. I have done a bit of this, but it's finding the time.

Rgds
Its something I'm going to have to look at every domain I've reged has always been with the idea to develop myself but I just have far to many to do now.
Whats your success like with the end users you've contacted have you sold any .uk domains in this way.

Its something I'm going to have to look at every domain I've reged has always been with the idea to develop myself but I just have far to many to do now.
Whats your success like with the end users you've contacted have you sold any .uk domains in this way.

So far I have sent letters out for two domains, and made one good sale, so that's a 50% success rate!

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom