Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

A better way to manage domains?

Discussion in 'Domain Parking - General' started by danny, Jun 6, 2021.

1. danny

danny Active Member

Greetings,

The time has come to find an alternative solution for management of my entire portfolio which contains approx. 40,000+ domains, a small proportion of which are clients’ hosted sites. I’ve been on old legacy systems for far too long now.

For parking, selling, hosting and management here is what I use:

Server: Linux (CentOS 7), Apache (2.4)
    Web Host: WHM / cPanel
    Database: phpMyAdmin, MySQL (5.7)
    Domain App: PHP (5.6), Laravel (5.1.6 LTS)

Issue 1:
    It’s essential I upgrade to MySQL (8.x), PHP (8.x) Laravel (8.x); however, doing so will mean updating all the core code on my domain parking platform which uses an old outdated Laravel version.

Issue 2:
    My domains are parked as Aliases across (x15 cPanels) due to cPanel’s incapacity to handle more than a max of 3,000 domains in each instance; breaching this limit results in severe performance degradation. This means I have to manage 15 separate hosts and all the files on each, an FTP nightmare!

Issue 3:
    Using cPanel I’m only able to secure a mere 500 domains per cPanel with SSL Certificates using Lets encrypt’s limitation. This means that only 7,500 out of 40,000 of my parked domains resolve when using http(s)://, this results in a huge amount of lost traffic when visitors don’t use http:// due to their security concerns!

My Question(s):

a) Can anybody offer any insight as to what might be a superior and more effective setup to Park, Manage, Sell, and Host domains than what I already have? I am certain cPanel is probably the least attractive and utilised option for domain owners of large portfolios.

b) Due to the limitations of cPanel, as mentioned above (Issues 2 and 3), can anyone provide me with a solution to these specific problems?

Please PM me to discuss any details that you wish to keep private.

Many thanks!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I would maybe reach out to Rob who does UKBackOrder / Melita tag , and Alex @monaghan both of those are server monkeys and coders, so likely they will know another way without using cpanel. possibly custom management apps. I don't think the average member will be able to help.

I can't remember Robs name on here but mail him via UKBO.

4. ukbackorder

ukbackorder Active Member ukbackorder.com
    Bronze Member

Alex is probably your best bet. If he's not in a meeting of course :p I don't do custom work.