Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Approaching Potential End Users

Reaction score
I have a domain that I think would fetch a better price if I were to sell it to an end user than a domain trader. It is in the Hotels niche, so I am going to email some relevant hotels who already spend money on advertising. However, I am worried about coming across as a cold-calling spammer- any tips from seasoned veterans?!

Cold calling (or emailing) is ok providing it is a one off and you clearly explain why the opportunity is worth them considering. Just don't get yourself in position where by you are advertising for sale a domain name that potentially infringes on their trademark etc.

Cold calling (or emailing) is ok providing it is a one off and you clearly explain why the opportunity is worth them considering. Just don't get yourself in position where by you are advertising for sale a domain name that potentially infringes on their trademark etc.
Thanks! Mine don't infringe TMs- any good phrases to include in an email?

@Federer has written lots on here on how he approaches end users, search for some of his posts and I'm sure you'll find some really good advice.

My advice would be to do your research. If you really do have a domain that's going to be of interest to end users, don't just contact relevant hotels, email the relevant people at the hotels. The more focused you can be, the better.

@Federer has written lots on here on how he approaches end users, search for some of his posts and I'm sure you'll find some really good advice.

My advice would be to do your research. If you really do have a domain that's going to be of interest to end users, don't just contact relevant hotels, email the relevant people at the hotels. The more focused you can be, the better.
That's smashing advice, thanks! Last thing- how do I specifically get to the relevant people? A simple FAO in the subject line?

An email subject only has one job, to get them to open the email. If you were selling a domain 'freediesel.co.uk', I'd probably put 'Diesel' in the subject.

Knowing that they have an interest in diesel, and the email might be from a potential customer for them, they'll read it.

You wouldn't use the word 'free' in the subject because that would increase the spam rating.

The email itself then has the job of selling not the domain, but the value of them owning the domain. What will it do for them?

Likely as not your email isn't going to arrive in the inbox of a person who knows much about domains, pay per click, seo, or perhaps even marketing in general.

For small companies you need the boss to read it. And you need him/her to see £ signs - be that from lead generation, branding, avoidance of competition, or something else.

An email subject only has one job, to get them to open the email. If you were selling a domain 'freediesel.co.uk', I'd probably put 'Diesel' in the subject.

Knowing that they have an interest in diesel, and the email might be from a potential customer for them, they'll read it.

You wouldn't use the word 'free' in the subject because that would increase the spam rating.

The email itself then has the job of selling not the domain, but the value of them owning the domain. What will it do for them?

Likely as not your email isn't going to arrive in the inbox of a person who knows much about domains, pay per click, seo, or perhaps even marketing in general.

For small companies you need the boss to read it. And you need him/her to see £ signs - be that from lead generation, branding, avoidance of competition, or something else.
Thanks, that's really helpful

I have had a great deal of success/sales with the template I am using.
It's incredibly simple and to-the-point. As with all templates, the quality can be improved - just showing what has worked for me.

Hello,

The following domain name recently became available and is currently for sale: DomainName.com

The domain is available for £___. Let us know if there is interest as we are reaching out to a number of businesses within the industry.

Best regards,
Name

Acquisition & Sales of Key Domains
Address | Post Code City | Portugal
Direct: (00351) 216 424 439 | Cell: (00351) 955 169 084

- Domain history (if any) can be viewed here: web.archive.org/web/*/DomainName.com
- Registration information: whois.domaintools.com/DomainName.com

This is a one-time advertisement that is being sent to your company just once; please reply
« stop » if you no longer wish to receive domain branding offers in the future.

I have had a great deal of success/sales with the template I am using.
It's incredibly simple and to-the-point. As with all templates, the quality can be improved - just showing what has worked for me.

Hello,

The following domain name recently became available and is currently for sale: DomainName.com

The domain is available for £___. Let us know if there is interest as we are reaching out to a number of businesses within the industry.

Best regards,
Name

Acquisition & Sales of Key Domains
Address | Post Code City | Portugal
Direct: (00351) 216 424 439 | Cell: (00351) 955 169 084

- Domain history (if any) can be viewed here: web.archive.org/web/*/DomainName.com
- Registration information: whois.domaintools.com/DomainName.com

This is a one-time advertisement that is being sent to your company just once; please reply
« stop » if you no longer wish to receive domain branding offers in the future.

Thanks Federer that's really helpful. I'd be interested to know more about your "great deal of success"!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom