Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cannot register LL.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why we cannot reg LL.co.uk ?

Whois says

This domain cannot be registered because it contravenes the Nominet UK
naming rules. The reason is: third-level domains may not comprise two alphabetic characters.

What's the deal here?
I have a client who wants a LL.co.uk that is relevant to his business. Co name, trademark etc etc

Anyone got the inside view?
Cheers
Sean

Because you can't register LL domains.

I think the PAB and Nominet are trying to come up with a "fair" way to start making these available.

Last edited:
It's just policy. There are several issues. One may be that they are reserved for internal use like server naming. Another that they wouldn't want uk.co.uk registered for obvious reasons. I believe there are one or two out there that slipped through the net initially, but you can be sure The AA would be aa.co.uk and not theaa.co.uk if it were at all possible.

Edit: I defer to other posts on this.

Last edited:
Because you can't register LL domains.

I think the PAB and Nominet are trying to come up with a "fair" way to start making these available.

The fairest way I know is to let them all drop tomorrow at 14:14.14.14 and let us have one each.

I'm afraid these will eventually 'selectively' go to the highest bidders... from the corporate world.

I believe there are one or two out there that slipped through the net initially, but you can be sure The AA would be aa.co.uk and not theaa.co.uk if it were at all possible.

Edit: I defer to other posts on this.

Yep, bt.co.uk is one, hp.co.uk another. In fact there was even a single letter x.co.uk but the owner let it expire and it could not be caught due to Nominet's rules! Imagine that, letting the only single letter .co.uk expire... Arse!!!

There are 20 odd in total, I posted a list a while ago. If you search for it :)

I believe a member of this forum owns one too, I'm *sure*, I saw one linked in someones signature ages ago, but I can't for the life of me remember who :(

Aah I felt my ears burning.
It was bought from the previous owner while suspended.
If it had been cancelled it could not have been caught and Nom would have it on the shelf showing:
naming rules. The reason is: third-level domains may not comprise two alphabetic characters.

Aah I felt my ears burning.
It was bought from the previous owner while suspended.
If it had been cancelled it could not have been caught and Nom would have it on the shelf showing:
So what did you pay for it then?

Compare reasonable to what you would sell it for ? Was the price you paid reasonable :p

Just curious if you another firestars, who seems to get some fantastic prices on the off-the-cuff contacts and deals :)

Last edited:
Compare reasonable to what you would sell it for ? Was the price you paid reasonable :p

Just curious if you another firestars, who seems to get some fantastic prices on the off-the-cuff contacts and deals :)
Don't be silly, firestars would have managed to buy it for a tenner :p

Yep, bt.co.uk is one, hp.co.uk another. In fact there was even a single letter x.co.uk but the owner let it expire and it could not be caught due to Nominet's rules! Imagine that, letting the only single letter .co.uk expire... Arse!!!

although this is the shortest one to type in

bl.uk

:D

I love my two 2-letters, Ft.se and Fg.se (under development). Unfortunately, I have not managed to get hold of any pure two letter .co.uk's :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom