Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

catch all dns on a vps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paullas

Staff member
Reaction score
does anyone have any knowledge on setting up a catchall dns on a vps server. also is it possible to setup a catchall for emails on the vps.

I haven't done it myself but theoretically both are possible, I've never done a catch all for all domains, only for all sub domains but I had my host do them for me, but they pretty much just added *.domain.ext A and MX record.

Since you can do dom.*.domain.ext to match a 2nd level sub, I don't see why you can't add *.com and *.co.uk *.net to your settings ?

Have you asked your host nicely ?

edit: Just saw this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_DNS_record

ive emailed the host yes and jsut waiting on reply. i thought i would ask here then if anyone has any solution then i can give it them if they say they dont know how to do it lol.

Whats the scenario you are trying to deal with?
What is your DNS server running (bind I would assume)?
You probably need to configure your http server (apache, IIS, lighty etc) to deal with it too.

my host is having problems understanding what i want lol (thought so)

does anyone have any documents i can show them.

Can you explain in english (non technical) what it is you are wanting?

does anyone have any knowledge on setting up a catchall dns on a vps server. also is it possible to setup a catchall for emails on the vps.

Give up and get something which is dedicated and devoid of any control panel. :cool:

A VPS shouldn't have a Control Panel anyway :p thats why most people pay extra for a panel heh. I HATE with a passion having to shell into a server, I would rather trap my nutsack in my zipper and run the zip up and down 20 times than have to deal with my server in shell :p I'm just lucky enough that my host appreciates my business :p

Just tell them you need a wildcard A and MX record adding to BIND to point to your root user space, that should just about cover it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom