Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Chainreaction.co.uk listed as sold on Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I haven't a clue why the price went that high, but Chainreaction.co.uk is listed in the "Recent Sales" section of Sedo as having been sold for 17,000 Euro.

Thought chainreaction was a bike shop. Can't see that value can you?

Ratboy, I was expecting a series of Diana Ross puns!

But I agree - no idea how/why it would sell for so much. WHOIS shows current registrant is American, maybe a massive Diana Ross fan?

Regardless, it beggars belief.

Well before my time, well maybe a school disco tune, but never on my tape playing walkman. Besides, I was always pulling the girls and smoking, not listening to the tunes, like a pro.

Back to domains. If someone wants a domain enough, they will pay.

I was just playing with your sales data, and here's what I found (using the pounds column)

Total reported sales in 2005: 347
Total reported sales value: £508,263
Average sales price: £1,464.73

Pretty impressive, given that the reported sales are only the tip of the iceberg!

Nice stats Edwin, we will add that to the end of year roll up

As you say, we only get to see a small percentage of all UK sales

These figures alone suggest a pretty healthy market size. Considering this market has been created from dust it's amazing. And, more importantly it seems to be growing both in terms of reported sales and obvious amount of interest from newbie catchers and domainers, look at the growth of this forum for a start!

This is good news for those who have at it a while but for those joining the goldrush now I think the outlook is grim as the market, like most that have matured over time, is pretty much sewn up by those that had the foresight to reg generic names back in the 90's.

This is good news for those who have at it a while but for those joining the goldrush now I think the outlook is grim as the market, like most that have matured over time, is pretty much sewn up by those that had the foresight to reg generic names back in the 90's.

Nonsense! The market was wide open much more recently than that... I regged my first significant quantity of .co.uk domains just over 2 years ago (in June 2003, I had just 10 .co.uk names and finished 2003 with around 120). While things have got tighter since then, there are still aftermarket bargains aplenty if people are willing to hunt them down... and there are new players on the private drop-catching scene almost every week.

Last edited:
Perhaps I was misread, what I meant was if you are looking at getting into the dropcatching game with a view to selling your catches now then the outlook is grim. Unless of of course you have a ground breaking new script or are short on ethics and can see your way to cheating the system with multiple tags. You must agree that the number of top quality names dropping is declining as they are caught and subsequently renewed by those that know their value?

I guess your point about bargains still being out there is true though, given lyrics.co.uk was picked up for a reg fee ;-)

yep check out edwins stock of names like he said just been at it 2 years with the .co.uk i rememeber the days he would not touch a .co.uk .com only ( how times have changed)
keep it going bud

It's a market where you have to put the work in to reep the rewards. Yeah sure lyrics was a fluke, but i spent hours and hours searching names.

I think those who think it's easy money will get fustrated as it isn't anymore. But those willing to put the time in will be rewarded healthily.

After all there are not many investments where you can generate your own wealth. If i gave £5 to a fund manager and said, right make me £x,xxx - he'd laugh. But we know its possible to make that, or even more in certain situations.

If you're really only looking for regfee wins and you don't have the resources to devote to either A) developing competitive drop-catching scripts and/or B) going after after-market domain bargains, then you probably are slowly running out of luck.

On the other hand... I've registered a stack of domains in the last 30 days alone, and I'm pretty happy with most of them - so I guess there are still regfee bargains to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom