Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

'ilovealdi.com' tribute website ordered to hand over domain to chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A WEB designer who created a internet tribute site to his favourite supermarket has been ordered to hand over his domain name to the chain.

Wayne Stephenson, of Osmotherley, near Northallerton, said he had been stunned to receive a 12-page letter from the multinational firm in December, after setting up ilovealdi.co.uk, to highlight the quality and value of the retailer's products.

The website featured Aldi's prices, to enable visitors to see what savings could be made by shopping at the store, compared with its rivals, as an information service for the budget store, which last year reported an annual turnover of £5.27bn.

Its 'ilovealdi.com' not .co.uk see http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...as_been_ordered_to_hand_over_domain_to_chain/

nothing on the site bar a temp theme with a logo.

edit:
nevermind, just read the article.

Last edited:
Mally means the .co.uk - Wayback is showing nothing in the chaps favour either.
I wonder how long now ihatealdi-co-uk will remain ftr ��

Last edited:
If he didn't include aldi in the name, there wouldn't of been a problem would there?

Also I assume he monetised the site; if he didn't monetise the site there would also of been no problem?

If he didn't include aldi in the name, there wouldn't of been a problem would there?

Also I assume he monetised the site; if he didn't monetise the site there would also of been no problem?

Having Aldi in the name would have been the deciding factor.

Aldi would have had a case to take it back whether the chap was monetising the domain or not. He used a TM name in the URL.

From Aldi's point of view it's too risky. The domain could be considered to be part of Aldi's ownership - and even though things are all positive now, imagine it built up a good following but the owner had ulterior motives. Things could turn quite negative and hurt the brand very quickly and enough to take notice (even attract media attention).

Although this could happen with a blogger or site owner, the difference would be damaging comments on a TM domain.

Can understand the ruling.

He used a TM name in the URL.

I was thinking maybe if he didn't monetise it he would of been ok because I know that you could have say "dontshopataldi.co.uk" where you trash them and as long as you don't monetise it then nominet will most likely not take it off you

But I suppose even if he didn't monetise it, having a site saying you love aldi with aldi in the name, then people may think it's an aldi owned website and be confused, whereas if it's a site saying aldi is crap no one will think it's theirs.

If you go back through the decisions you can see Aldi have been actively targeting similar sites/domains.

Who spends their time and resources drumming up business for an organisation they don't own or have any other interest in for free?

If you go back through the decisions you can see Aldi have been actively targeting similar sites/domains.

Ironic too when you can walk into any Aldi and find countless products where the packaging is remarkably similar to other well known brands!

This was the right decision in my opinion. If I was Aldi I would definitely want them to stop using my Trademark in their domain. However, after getting the domain back, I might have offered them the £10 or so for a new non-trademark domain and tell them to carry on praising us.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom