Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Incase you didn't know, this is why digs.co.uk didn't drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Didn't realise so many were at it (that is, approaching suspended domain owners).

Interesting. Didn't realise so many were at it (that is, approaching suspended domain owners).

I was also surprised when I read that tbh, they must have had a fair few people contact them.

I only stumbled across it, as I saw "renewed" on domainlore and I have been watching the whois to see if one of us had got to them before the drop (esp as the prebid was up to £850)

I only stumbled across it, as I saw "renewed" on domainlore and I have been watching the whois to see if one of us had got to them before the drop (esp as the prebid was up to £850)

I wonder if pre-bids on that site were to cease, if that would curtail this behaviour?

Personally I am annoyed by it (pre-drop auction bids/values).

Or maybe just a way of marketing something… Strange that the people that were contacting the owner were not offering enough hence they did not get the domain…

That would make it look as if the owner had placed a value on it at which if the price was not achieved he would not sell… Now why would you have a value for something you were about to let drop
:rolleyes:

I know of, at I'd guess half dozen acorn members who contact direct, this is best guess due to names I've seen pass the drop date then transfer, or transfer in the week or so before drop date.

Some people are more successful than others at this.

Its becoming more and more of a common practice, and its breeding a first strike mentality, where by people are contacting directly first because they know someone else will, so may as well.

Or maybe just a way of marketing something… Strange that the people that were contacting the owner were not offering enough hence they did not get the domain…

That would make it look as if the owner had placed a value on it at which if the price was not achieved he would not sell… Now why would you have a value for something you were about to let drop
:rolleyes:

Not really - maybe the owner had 4 different offers emailed to him and he only checked his email every few days, then when he opens his email to find numerous emails from people wanting his name which he didn't want to keep, with a £100 offer a £200 offer and say 2 x £300 offers

Then it has made him realise that what he was about to "throw away" is actually worth something, and he wants to now capitalise this the best way possible.

All in my opinion of course, but obviously makes sense too

Could be just when you look at what other domains owned and managed and the industry there in makes you wonder... maybe I'm just too cynical :)

its breeding a first strike mentality, where by people are contacting directly first because they know someone else will, so may as well.
Hasn't it always been that way :) Must admit we have done so for years...?

Last edited:
I contacted the company listed in the whois and they said I could have it for free as they had no use for it. About 5 minutes after giving them my email address they called back and said they actually sold the company that owns it 10 years ago, not realising it was included in the deal. Apparently the current owner didn't know they had it. He said that I should probably just try to catch it when it expired, but I noticed the whois contact changed last week.

I was willing to pay £200 as it would go nicely with a site I have been developing, but unfortunately not at the prices on domainlore :(

Am I missing something with this one, what got people onto it, as it wasn'r nlr, rr or suspended as far as i knew, or was it?

Am I missing something with this one, what got people onto it, as it wasn'r nlr, rr or suspended as far as i knew, or was it?

It was suspended, but I had been looking for names similar to this so had been tracking it for the past few weeks.

I see. Wonder why though, the previous registrant was not a registered company (dissolved), i'm wondering what put it into suspension. It wasnt even up for renewal yet either!

The renewal date was 19th nov 2009, it went suspended as any other non-renewed domain would and should have dropped a couple of days ago.

Grant

I thought it should have been suspended, the renewal date was in November. When I called they told me was that it was part of a company that was a division of dixons insurance, but they sold it 10 years ago. If you look at the whois for dixons insurance you can see that digs.co.uk is listed as the registrant.

decent sale, not entirely unsurprising considering the amount the interest they appear to have received.

Can't see the value myself.

Nice name for a student accomodation site, which is a large market. Hard to forget the name. I see what you mean though. If someone has bought the name, just to sit and wait for higher offers they probably won't come. Plus, it someone does develop, it won't be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom