Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is Bitcoin the Next Big Thing?

Ah right, it was only the $1 bit that caught my eye, missed the "billion" bit :)

Crypto as a whole is a place to store wealth away from conventional means; if it wasn't on a constant upward trajectory, would many still buy in for the principle point of it all, or the belief of an idea? I doubt it. They'd settle for what we have now.

There are significant benefits to it all though, blockchain etc. We are just at the start of a very long journey that will ultimately change the world and our future, but many of the coins we see today will be non-existent, replaced by something better, perhaps just with the wealth moved across.

These 'fake' coins, and those with million dollar caps because an individual could spin a few attractive sentences together and a catchy website, will certainly lose many a lot of money, and do nothing for the positive impact being made by crypto as a whole, but for now, they are novelty and as such, continue to increase in value, making tidy profits for those that invest (not carefully).

It is interesting that in a bunch of tech savvy individuals we have here, how divided we are on whether crypto is a good or bad thing. I'm new to the game, attracted initially by gains, retained by possibility, and that keeps me excited for the future, even if I lose my shirt!

Doge being worth $1 billion really does show how much crypto is in a bubble.

Because although it does actually have a purpose, it is used as a currency on Reddit and people tip each other with doge coin. E.g. a wallpaper artist shares a free wallpaper, people tip them with doge coins.

But Reddit had a funding round in 2017 at a valuation of $1.8bn for the whole business...... and yet a crypto coin created by the community as a joke and used to tip people on Reddit is valued at $1 billion?

Its the crazy world we are living in though and not exclusive to Reddit.... I learnt recently that the CS:Go gambling industry is worth $200k a day. That's people gambling for weapons to use in a computer game..... $73 million a year gambling market for that one game allegedly!

I saw somebody recently post that they sold some Doge coin they mined when it was joke and thenforgot about for $30,000 and he paid his sons college fees for the year and booked a 'vacation', pretty cool. Especially as those involved in the joke originally were presumably crypto skeptics, and that's why they were mocking it (they would pump and dump for a laugh).

Very smart move. Wish I'd thought to do the same. At 18, 28, or even 38...

One problem is, compound interest is the diametric opposite of instant gratification. As a culture, we're more and more used to getting what we want "immediately" (even if it's paid for on the never-never) and yet the one thing that can make the average person financially secure is about as counter to that trend as it's possible to be.

Well actually this is what annoys me when I see millenials moaning about how lucky baby boomers were.... whilst they replace their iTwat 700 with the iTwat 750 Zoom after a year. I wear my jeans until they have a hole in them and I've had the same phone for 3.5 years.

Plus ask any of them to swap the internet (which they have) for good fortune with investments (which they haven't bothered to make) and how many of them would do it? Its not all 'luck'.

I know that property has become more expensive as a proportion of income, but another thing which annoys me is my facebook followers who choose to live in London but moan incessantly about not being able to afford to buy a house. If you were born and raised in London and all your family live there then I understand.... if you moved there out of choice and do a job that can be done anywhere, then its a problem of your own making and you are actually part of the problem for real Londoners.

I'm not a huge fan of my own generation.

Can someone explain market caps in a simple way, I don't understand what they are or how they work.

I've been reading about ripple, and there were numerous sites with topics asking if it can reach $5, $100, or $1,000 etc, and a lot of people were saying because of the market cap, no way can it reach $1,000, as that would be many multiples of all the money that exists in the world.

So, in simple terms, what is market cap and why can't a certain coin reach $1,000 when numerous others can?

Another question regarding some of the newer low priced coins, I'll use Golem (GNT) as an example, this coin has been around since Nov 2016 when it started out at $0.01, it's currently at $1.01.

Say you bought 100,000K of those coins at $0.01, and if they go up to $1.01 you might want to sell, how easy would it be to sell all 100,000K for that price? I think if you wanted to sell a few thousand you might be ok, but to sell them all, would that be possible, would there be enough of a market to sell them?

Hi Systreg, my understanding is the Market Cap means current Value of Coin multiply that by current Supply. I stick to the HODL plan but I should think selling huge quantities of coins depends on the demand of the particular currency might be quicker to convert into LTC BTC or any of the more popular coins and Cash out.

@Systreg - market cap is easy, its the same for stocks. Its simply the amount of shares times the price or in crypto world the amount of coins x price. The 'problem' with ripple is the humogumbus number of coins in circulation (over 3 billion). Bitcoin is limited to 21m with nearly 17m in circulation. This is why you cannot just look at the 'price' of crypto you want to buy. I laugh when people say i cant buy bitcoin now its too expensive. I like ripple because its cheap (3 dollars). Its not sound logic. Its always about percentage increases and you can buy any number or fraction of bitcoins.

You can use things like 'shapeshift' to convert one crypto currency into another more liquid currency if you want to unwind a position.

Its always about percentage increases and you can buy any number or fraction of bitcoins.

Why was it such a struggle to do anything with my 0.0056?

The best advice I could get with what to do with it was "hold on to it"

Couldn't spend it anywhere or sell it on an exchange

If you can't do anything with £60 then..

Why was it such a struggle to do anything with my 0.0056?

The best advice I could get with what to do with it was "hold on to it"

Couldn't spend it anywhere or sell it

If you can't do anything with £60 then..

Bitcoin is in its infancy and you bought it as a punt not because you knew what to do with it. With upcoming improvements to the network, utility will arrive. If Amazon accept it as payment then....you can imagine.

Bitcoin is in its infancy and you bought it as a punt not because you knew what to do with it. With upcoming improvements to the network, utility will arrive. If Amazon accept it as payment then....you can imagine.
To clarify, it wasnt a liquidity issue like which is being asked about above. It was an issue of transaction cost. There is no problem selling significant numbers of whole bitcoins nevermind 0.0056 of one

Bitcoin is in its infancy and you bought it as a punt not because you knew what to do with it. With upcoming improvements to the network utility will arrive. If Amazon accept it as payment then....you can imagine.

I like ripple because its cheap (3 dollars). Its not sound logic. Its always about percentage increases and you can buy any number or fraction of bitcoins.

You can't buy any fraction of bitcoin atm , I imagine it's easier to buy £100 worth of ripple than £100 of bitcoin

Can you even buy £100 of bitcoin atm?

The 'problem' with ripple is the humogumbus number of coins in circulation (over 3 billion).

Think there are currently 40 odd billion xrp in circulation, with an additional 60 billion still with creators ( they were planning to put them in escrow and release at 5 billion a year so as not to flood market) All the tokens are pre mined and there will never be more created. CEO Chris Larson became the 5th richest person alongside Zuckerberg this week it seems. On paper anyway, as he co founded and owns largest amount of ripple.

Of course it's not really a coin anyway, its a token used as transaction intermediary protocol for banks. I'm not sure most people jumping on the train understand and are just seeing the rise. I'm hoping it will certainly get well into double figures at least over next couple years, and its more than possible given the take up rate of banks and institutions.

Market cap = total value of all coins.

If there are 10 of CoinA in circulation and each one costs £10, that’s a market cap of £100.

If there are 1,000,000,000 of CoinB in circulation and each one costs £1, that’s a market cap of £1,000,000,000.

So even though 1 CoinA is worth 10 times as much as CoinB (£10 vs £1), ALL the CoinB together are worth 10,000,000 times more than all the CoinA (£1,000,000,000 vs £100).

So if you only have 1 coin you’re much richer if you have CoinA than CoinB, but from the point of view of the wider economy CoinB is much much more significant than CoinA.

Yes. Although transaction cost is high at mo.

The problem at mo is transaction time and cost due to backup from the latest craze of interest. I personally think thats what will eventually cause the demise of bitcoin. Transactions per second are pretty limited really for a global currency and transaction confirmation times are ridonkulous at the moment.

You can't buy any fraction of bitcoin atm , I imagine it's easier to buy £100 worth of ripple than £100 of bitcoin

Of course you can, you can buy any fraction. A bitcoin contains 100,000,000 satoshi

On a side note. If anyone is seriously thinking of getting in on ripple. I'd do it now. I mean like this weekend. It's just retraced to under 3 after coinbase announcement run proved to be slightly premature, and not sure it will ever be this low again.

Obviously just my opinion .

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom