Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is Domain Parking Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Back in 2007, I parked a few domain names and managed to get a fairly decent side income off it. (In that a few of the domain names paid for themselves, nothing more!).

6 Years later, after leaving things unattended for a long time, it looks like things have really changed. Is Parking dead or am I just using the wrong services?

I am with sedo and out of about 20 domains, some of which get decent hits on google when I check adsense, I have had about 5 visits in 2 weeks and no clicks!

I also tried another subset of my domains on 123-parking, with even worse results in visitors.

Yep unfortunately traditional domain parking died a few years ago.

Like yourself up until quite recently I had the majority of my names parked at Sedo. But with the low rev. its not even worth it.
One thing I also discovered since moving away is that All of the 'sales leads' that I received that came through Sedo were directly through the parking pages. Hardly anything came through from directory listings etc.
In affect, I was providing all the leads! + they were happy to charge me for it. :cool:

Depends what sort of names you're talking about - our Japanese-language .com IDN names have never earned as much as they do now, and they're comfortably paying for their renewals and then some (across 1,800 domains)

But I would agree that in the .co.uk namespace, parking looks to be pretty much dead.

I was the same earning a good income for a few years but now it's dead. I never thought about what Edwin stated that the domain itself is bringing the sales, I always imagined that people searched Sedo for a lot of them. So build your own sales pages! I might do that on 10 domains with prices and see what difference it makes.

Trying to make ad revs since the Google EMD penalty is very very difficult, most if my revenues have fallen off a cliff since then.

Some domains I registered and developed recently I have been able to get to Page1 of Bing in 3 days but don't even appear in Google.

If I were you try to sell some, develop others but don't rely on Google for traffic, try FB and Twitter instead.

Admin

our Japanese-language .com IDN names have never earned as much as they do now, and they're comfortably paying for their renewals and then some (across 1,800 domains)

That's interesting...
I wander how many other extensions still make profit from parking alone?

I've seen a huge reduction in my NameDrive affiliate earnings. Still trying to figure to figure out what the root cause of this revenue slide is.

1. People have moved names away from NameDrive parking.
2. Some NameDrive glitch.
3. Revenues have fallen.
4. Something else (read between the lines).

Depends what sort of names you're talking about - our Japanese-language .com IDN names have never earned as much as they do now, and they're comfortably paying for their renewals and then some (across 1,800 domains)

It's funny you mention that, as I also looked up a couple of Bitcoin .co.uk names in March, but left them unpurchased, came back to it in April only to find that they have been bought by a Japanese company. Going by a few google searches, it may actually be the guy behind Bitcoin himself!

Not saying those were pinched, just coincidence this time, but it does suggest the Japanese are beginning to look outwards. Sadly my Japanese stops with hadjimemashte and banzai! :)

Domain Monetisation is NOT Dead

Domain Parking is NOT dead.....it's just become a LOT more sophisticated.
The problem is that most domain owners do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome (eg. change change nameservers). What needs to happen is to completely change approach.
Take a look at a video that I put together on the topic of traffic optimisation and you'll get the idea of why it's become a very intricate science.
http://www.parklogic.com/index.php/news/124-earning-more-from-your-traffic-

I'd be happy to answer any questions on the topic.

--------------------
Michael Gilmour
ParkLogic

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom