Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Know a good catcher?ood drop catcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree 100%.

In this cut-throat drop market, when it's a given that people are going to try and approach the owners of "interesting" names BEFORE they drop, why should a catcher who also maintains their own portfolio of names not do the same? Doesn't take anything away from their catching service - they're still offering what they promise: IF it drops THEN we will catch it FOR YOU.

I agree with this, on the provision that the catcher was already aware of the name dropping, before it was booked. I think it's a little unfair if they weren't aware, saw a booking coming through, and then approached the registrant.

I agree with this, on the provision that the catcher was already aware of the name dropping, before it was booked. I think it's a little unfair if they weren't aware, saw a booking coming through, and then approached the registrant.

That is something you will literally NEVER be able to prove. If it's a pure generic, any catcher worth their salt will have already had it on one list or another. But at the end of the day, nobody except the catcher knows.

The best "defense" is to try and approach the owner yourself if the name's really important to you (as you can be sure others will be going down that route too).

That is something you will literally NEVER be able to prove.

Obviously, but doesn't make it any less unfair.

From a personal point of view, if I was the public catcher, I'd feel a little unethical doing this. Maybe I'd keep an eye on bookings and inform people of my intentions at the cost of getting gazumped or whatever.

If the domain is one the catcher was already aware of before accepting bookings, why wasn't it pre-booked for themself in the catch system?

If it's worth them contacting the registrant and paying at least £6 renewal and the £12 transfer fee, it's safe to assume that it's worth a £6 catch/registration fee to them rather than offering the booking to someone else.

If the domain is one the catcher was already aware of before accepting bookings, why wasn't it pre-booked for themself in the catch system?...

Exactly. It wasn't pre-booked by them, so their system allowed me to assign my credit for a catch to be booked on it.

Like Edwin has reminded us, don't expect ethics or integrity in the .uk domain market, there is no such thing!

Instead of asking "I wonder if he will honour my order" on a public forum to people who won't be able to answer your question, and also turning this into a question of morals and a possible witchhunt, why don't you just ask the person instead ?

If you are trying to get others to back your corner without even knowing what his intentions are or were, then I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree at present and this is not a very good way to get answers or resolve a situation which you clearly feel very strongly about.

Exactly. It wasn't pre-booked by them, so their system allowed me to assign my credit for a catch to be booked on it.

Like Edwin has reminded us, don't expect ethics or integrity in the .uk domain market, there is no such thing!
Are you saying that this catcher sells credits that may be applied to catches?

Anyway, as previously suggested by others, any monkeying around in this business will leave a catcher without customers. Yes, there are some of us left with ethics and integrity.

Instead of asking "I wonder if he will honour my order" on a public forum to people who won't be able to answer your question, and also turning this into a question of morals and a possible witchhunt, why don't you just ask the person instead ?

If you are trying to get others to back your corner without even knowing what his intentions are or were, then I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree at present and this is not a very good way to get answers or resolve a situation which you clearly feel very strongly about.

It's a domain forum, and is therefore a legitimate comment to make after certain catchers were suggested. Don't make the mistake of thinking that approaching the catcher will resolve the matter, I know only too well how the domain industry deserves its 'wild west' label. There is no hope of getting the domain name, but if just a handful of newer members get a bit of a wake-up call about the experiences of others with various catchers, then the point is made. I certainly don't need anyone backing my corner as you put it. You have presumed, wrongly, that getting the domain is my motive for posting, but that would be a futile stance.

Are you saying that this catcher sells credits that may be applied to catches?

Anyway, as previously suggested by others, any monkeying around in this business will leave a catcher without customers. Yes, there are some of us left with ethics and integrity.

Spot on obs as always Dale! And yes, there are some with ethics and integrity, but these are only to be found from certion individuals. Personally, I have always found that Aquanuke's approach has been the most favourable model to use, either you provide catching services only for others, or not at all. At least that way your paying punters know exactly where they stand!

Last edited:
Of course, if the domain was up for sale before dropping, then it would probably of been bought by any number of domainers so never dropped and caught. It just seems unlucky that you happened to book it with the catch system of someone who was doing another deal.

I like to think I'm above board, I rarely buy pre-dropped domains, but the thought of checking the bookings database on my system hadn't even crossed my mind as it is more or less automatic (other than the final transfer out as Nominet won't give us the transfer facility yet in the EPP :()

I suspect, as others have said, it's just a coincidence that you booked it and the catcher bought it before it dropped. In many ways domaining it still a small world, so I wouldn't read too much into an individual incident. That's not to know you're wrong to bring it up though. Checks, balances and all that.

was the transfer to you honoured anthony? did you contact the dropcatcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom