Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Left in limbo, no £350 and no domain SEDO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sedo - threats, negligence and EUR200 stolen?

This post isn't just to release some steam but also just to see whether I'm alone in having this problem with Sedo.com.

I decided to buy a short domain name for a text message (SMS) advertising campaign as our normal one takes too many characters. I found a two-letter .nu domain name and offered the EUR250 asked for. The seller cam back and said that due to the EUR200 commission fee of Sedo he'd need to charge me EUR350 - fair enough, so I offered this. The offer was accepted and I paid immediately! Yay! This was on January 30th.

Promptly - the next day - I was told to open an account at the same registrar which I did. I provided the username as requested. The next day I was told the seller had a complete a transfer of ownership form - fine.

I then hear nothing for a week but on the 8th Feb I see two forms have been added. The thing was the forms didn't have any of my details on and were not for the registry namecheap but for names.nu themselves. The form seemed to be trying to change the registrar together with the registrant. I phone names.nu themselves who then explained that namescheap cannot transfer ownership for .nu domains and so a change of registrar form needed to be completed before they could change the registrant. They advised that even if the right form had been used the seller still needs to allow for registrar transfer as apparently this was 'locked'. So I fed this back to Sedo.com on 9th February. I has angered that I had to prove this as surely this is what the EUR200 commission is for?

Since the 9th February I have got nowhere. Sedo.com ignore most of my messages and when they do reply, seem to be selective about which points they answer. They haven't acknowledged this problem at all.

Losing my temper and having to buy a unregistered name for my campaign to avoid further time loss, I told Sedo I would contact the seller and tell him the sale cannot proceed due to Sedo.com's failure. They replied to my very long and detailed communication with, '
I have informed the seller that you will be contacting him directly.

The seller has replied, clueless that there is any problem and rather confused, he states his English is poor, and I don't speak Swedish. I detailed the 7 points clearly to Sedo again on the 14th February. On the 15th again, Sedo told me they had told the seller I would contact him directly? Still refusing to acknowledge any issue. I have messages them again on the 15th, 16th and 17th only to be ignored.

I have told Sedo.com that I can no longer go ahead, the additional time-taken has been entirely down to their failure, and they have offered no resolution and no timescales. When asking to cancel I was simply met with a link to their T&C's and a reminder that the sale is 'legally binding'.

And so they are sat there offering no solution, withholding my funds and meanwhile I have no domain name. The only reason I used Sedo was precisely to avoid this kind of situation.

What would you guys do in this position? Has this ever happened to any of you?

Last edited:
I know what you arriving through must be frustrating but if sedo still have your funds (haven't released them to the seller) then that's a good thing.

The seller also has to help you if you are stuck at making this transfer happen. If using sedo means that he seller doesn't have your money then you have the escrow benefit until its confined that you hav the domain (an that both buyer/seller are happy).

And that is indeed the rational way to look at it I suppose. I will have to cut Sedo out of the loop and just try and guide the seller through the process as best I can. I just can't believe that Sedo will be making EUR200 out of this deal for just getting in the way. I wish I could go back in time and use a different escrow service. I certainly won't buy through Sedo again.

Whilst I suppose you are right in that at least the seller hasn't done a runner with the money, it still kind of feels like Sedo has. They haven't offered a timescale at all so I am left with no idea as to how long this could drag on for. I don't ever receiving such a poor service from anyone.

You won't beleive what Sedo have said in response

Okay, I'm beyond words now. I have told Sedo on several occasions now that I cannot proceed because the change of registrant forms cannot be submitted until the seller has first moved registrar, this is a different form and one he needs to sign, as confirmed by Names.nu themselves. This is what Sedo had to say today:

I have absolutley no idea what to do now.

Feb/20/12 Sedo Transfer Agent
The seller has informed me that he did receive your email last week and he did reply back but you failed to respond.
The seller will like to complete this transfer and this is a final notice for you to kindly follow our instructions.

If we are forced to cancel due to your noncompliance, your details will be available for the seller to take legal action against you if he chooses as this agreement is binding and you will therefore have been in breach of it.

You will also be liable to pay the cancellation fee and your account will be put in review.

Sedo are on here so I sent them a message, I hope it helps.

Admin

I have sent numerous messages on this subject, the clearest one was on the 14th Feb when I detailed the issues I've been having for the past weeks. Bear in mind I had already confirmed that Name.nu had advised the forms were wrong five days previous to this post below:

Feb/14/12 Your Comment
Look, you cannot just leave this transfer in limbo:

1) I have paid you for the domain name.
2) I have not received the domain name.
3) Names.nu have confirmed the forms you mention are not correct.
4) The process has taken longer than the 7-14 days your website states to expect.
5) You have refused to answer my questions over the past week electing to just leave things 'hanging'.
6) You have put forward no way of resolving this crisis.

Thanks Admin, I missed your post earlier, I really appreciate that. I've tried to again spell out the problem (no response as yet) in the clearest terms possible which I've included in this post.

Sedo, if you do read this post, basically I am after one out of two outcomes.
1) You cancel the whole thing - only fair considering the amount of time you have wasted throughout.
2) You get someone to communicate the problem to the seller (in Swedish, as he could not understand my last email he said). Hopefully then we can move things on.

I have decided today, whatever the outcome, to pen a letter to the UK's Office of Fair Trading to register a complaint. Your continuing threats of legal action and penalty fees are inappropriate considering I have advised you numerous times since the 9th February that the forms you have provided are wrong, and that even when corrected client transfer remains prohibited meaning Names.Nu would reject the application anyone (their words not mine).

Feb/20/12 Your Comment
Right. Listen carefully, and respond to this point which I have raised with you several times please.

The forms which have been provided are incorrect. The seller needs to transfer to the Names.NU registry before I can submit the change of registrant forms. I have told you this several times now. I cannot do this, the seller has to do this. This has been confirmed by Names.NU themselves.

I cannot progress the matter until the correct forms are used.

Last edited:
I know what you arriving through must be frustrating but if sedo still have your funds (haven't released them to the seller) then that's a good thing.

The seller also has to help you if you are stuck at making this transfer happen. If using sedo means that he seller doesn't have your money then you have the escrow benefit until its confined that you hav the domain (an that both buyer/seller are happy).

So woopwoop, do you still think my money is safe with Sedo? It looks to me like they have forced the sale off the rails and then intend to screw me for the EUR200 as a cancellation fee.

The thing is you paid the money so you didn't intend on canceling. Don't cancel the transaction just keep telling sedo that you haven't received the domain. That should stop them from releasing the funds and it should get the seller (who I assume understands the TLD and transfer process for it better) to get off their bum and make it work. If the seller thinks that you might not go ahead, usually that gets them to help.

I don't know what the problem is with transferring this TLD (I'd stay away from strange TLDs).

How long do Sedo give to transfer?
How long can you be without the money?
How much do you still want this domain?
How helpful has the seller been in trying to help you transfer?

I've forgotten the early part of your story but usually a call to the registrar or sedo can clear things up - hopefully!

Its taken nearly a month now so I've used a different domain, I'd still like the name though. The fact is Sedo are ignoring everything I say. I have told them time and time again that the seller has not submitted the correct forms. They responded today to threaten me with cancellation fees and legal action?

I've posted enough to fill a small novel already, however I am just stunned to find myself in this position. Essentially there is no need for Sedo to allow the sale to go through, as you see above they have now given me a final warning - one I can do nothing about :-(

I spoke to the Registry on the phone (very small registrar) they confirmed the seller needs to transfer the registrar before we can do anything. So I'm in the right but Sedo seem to be just completely ignoring the problem.

If sedo charge you a cancellation fee then it will be a huge mistake. I will send you the email address of someone who has been helpful to me in the past at Sedo. Hopefully they can help.

Otherwise the seller needs to get active.

getting hold of sedo
scroll to bottom
http://www.sedoholding.com/en/the-company/offices/

not easy finding their uk number

anyway I had to ring their uk office today over an escrow transaction their 'team' have failed to get back on for an eternity
Dildeep is a good chap to speak to in UK office
knows the biz, maybe he can help

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom