Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Length of registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Something that has always puzzled me with Nominet is why they will only allow you to register a domain for 2 years ?. Would it not be sensible to allow registrants to renew for maybe 5 to 10 years ?

DG

domaingenius said:
Something that has always puzzled me with Nominet is why they will only allow you to register a domain for 2 years ?. Would it not be sensible to allow registrants to renew for maybe 5 to 10 years ?

DG

You appear to be using the words 'Nominet' and 'sensible' in the same sentence :)

Grant

I keep thinking I've seen long registrations but must be my mind playing tricks and yes I'd like to able to reg domains for longer but I guess they like the rolling income.

If I remember rightly, it's all to do with money... At the moment, with two years, Nominet has to ensure that it's got enough bunce in the bank to keep every domain running (and supported) for two years.

If you increase to, say, 5 years then Nominet will need to increase the pile of bunce that it holds so as to make sure that it can support all domains for five years.

It is a little more complex than that but I think that's the main reason.

I'm sure there's something on the Nominet website about it somewhere ...

grantw said:
You appear to be using the words 'Nominet' and 'sensible' in the same sentence :)

Grant

Lol, yep ,force of habit I guess,but then at least compared to Putrid,oops I mean Eurid, they are excellent.

DG

grantw said:

Grant

Grant

They speak highly of you too! :p

But seriously, to answer DG's question. Longer registration periods have been discussed a few times by the PAB and Nominet. It was felt that 2 years in the internet business is a long time and things change rapidly. When you consider that over a third of registrations are never renewed, it was felt the 2 year default period should stand.

That said, there's no reason why the question can't be asked again. However, if I remember correctly, the majority consensus (at the time) supported a 2 year registration period. I have/had clients with 5 and 10 years registrations in .com (etc) and they come and go (voluntary and forced liquidation) leaving a trail of dead and unusable domain names behind them, which nobody can access on a FCFS basis until they have expired and been deleted. IMHO, having a database full of dead and unused domain names isn't in the interests of the wider communities either, is it?

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Jac said:
Grant

They speak highly of you too! :p

But seriously, to answer DG's question. Longer registration periods have been discussed a few times by the PAB and Nominet. It was felt that 2 years in the internet business is a long time and things change rapidly. When you consider that over a third of registrations are never renewed, it was felt the 2 year default period should stand.

That said, there's no reason why the question can't be asked again. However, if I remember correctly, the majority consensus (at the time) supported a 2 year registration period. I have/had clients with 5 and 10 years registrations in .com (etc) and they come and go (voluntary and forced liquidation) leaving a trail of dead and unusable domain names behind them, which nobody can access on a FCFS basis until they have expired and been deleted. IMHO, having a database full of dead and unused domain names isn't in the interests of the wider communities either, is it?

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

James, I note what you say but it would at least give the tsol another asset to sell. I dont think that giving the option to registrants would cause any great increase in unused domains over and above that caused by other things,such as the many thousands of names held by, dare I say domainers, that are unused and for sale.

DG

Google looks at the time left on the domain, and this plays a part in its criteria for search engine page listings...

Variable registration periods back on the agenda

domaingenius said:
James, I note what you say but it would at least give the tsol another asset to sell. I dont think that giving the option to registrants would cause any great increase in unused domains over and above that caused by other things,such as the many thousands of names held by, dare I say domainers, that are unused and for sale.

DG

Just an update.

I have discussed this with Nominet again, and Variable Registration Periods is back on the PAB agenda. Don't hold me to a timeframe though, but we'll discuss it as soon as we can and I am hopeful of a positive outcome.

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Jac said:
Just an update.

I have discussed this with Nominet again, and Variable Registration Periods is back on the PAB agenda. Don't hold me to a timeframe though, but we'll discuss it as soon as we can and I am hopeful of a positive outcome.

Regards
James Conaghan
[PAB Member]

Xcellent. Thats good and lets hope that we can reach a good period such as 5 to 10 years or so. That way at least we can "forget" about them for good few years. And im sure the "catchers" will be grateful because there may be a few more to catch in long run,

DG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom