Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

No Nom Update!

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Jeewhizz, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeewhizz

Jeewhizz Well-Known Member

2. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

I think there were quite a few problems with the (much) earlier versions of the DAC that were caused by Oracle being buggy.

One would have thought that Oracle would be a bit more switched on / keen to help...

3. Jeewhizz

In my experience, oracle has just got lucky. They do have some good software, but it's buggy.

We abandoned Oracle at work for MySQL, and have had no complaints about it. Companies sometimes have issues with using 'open source' but not us ;)

4. A-Wing

A-Wing Active Member

Most people abandon Oracle for Postgre, but I guess with the advent of MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 it is starting to play catch-up.
    I have this one client with a MySQL 4.1 server for whom I have shoved 8GB of data into tables for (using some special scripts that ran for about 2 weeks :) ). I managed to get their query times down from 30 seconds to under 1 second for searches. MySQL is deffinitely starting to join with the big boys.

5. Jeewhizz

The last month i've been working with a DB of about 45 million records across 1000 tables. Cross referenced queries are running at <0.5 seconds now down from over a minute on the previous solution.

MySQL is definately making insteps into the DB market :)

6. A-Wing

A-Wing Active Member

sweeeet ;)
    Going from version 3.23 -> 4.1 is like changing product, all the features you could want (apart from stored procedures which are in v.5) and amazing speed increases (mainly due to decent key and query caching).

7. Jeewhizz

5.1.6 is the killer - cron jobs within mysql ;)

8. A-Wing

A-Wing Active Member

I noticed that on the site (not tried 5.1 yet though), could be very useful for DB/index clean-ups, especially if you delete a lot of records.

9. philipp United Kingdom

philipp Active Member

Stored procedures always seem a pretty evil idea to me (I'm not a DBA, maybe they have greater tolerance for this kind of thing).

But having seen Nominet's struggle with Oracle bugs, I wouldn't really want anything to do with it :)

P.

10. Jeewhizz

Stored Procedures are quite handy. If for example, you have one dedicated DB Server, and multiple web servers, if you need to edit a procedure, you can do it in one go on the DB Server, or edit the files across all the webservers!

I'm planning on using MySQL events for database optimising and running time sensitive queries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.