Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Online transfers from 25th June

Status
Not open for further replies.
nooooooooooo, my wife is out of a job, how can i break the news to her......

Is it just me that thinks this may end up a complicated mess???

Sounds a bit chaotic, but hopefully it will work out in the end!

During the month of April a whopping 50% of my transfers ended up with typos by Nominet, so I'm all for this automation.

Although, I was expecting (well, hoping) they'd eliminate the fee once registrant name changes were automated (like most other registries)...

They no longer have to pay staff to manually handle the paperwork, and free transfers would boost aftermarket action.

I didn't really understand Alex Bligh's Nomsteer reply on this, if the new system can transfer in minutes, then I can't see what Nominet are doing for verification other than trusting the old and new registrants to type correctly and press the right buttons, hardly justification for £10, what cost are they actually recovering?

All registrant transfers should be free. Transfers are an integral part of running the registry and they should be paid for out of the pot that the £5 registration fee goes into.

End of :twisted:

All registrant transfers should be free. Transfers are an integral part of running the registry and they should be paid for out of the pot that the £5 registration fee goes into.

End of :twisted:

I fully agree with this but welcome the changes all the same.

Edwin,

what part sounds chaotic?

The bit about it depending on the management account. I haven't really paid a lot of attention to that side of things yet - no need when a manual transfer request WILL transfer the name regardless of what "account" it's in if all the paperwork is in order.

The bit about it depending on the management account. I haven't really paid a lot of attention to that side of things yet - no need when a manual transfer request WILL transfer the name regardless of what "account" it's in if all the paperwork is in order.

I haven't seen that bit...........is there a link?

Thanks

So one problem I see is that if you DON'T consolidate your accounts then if you have 1,000 names you have to keep track of 1,000 user/password combinations. However, if you DO consolidate them, then if someone manages to hack/sniff your user/password then you could lose all of them in one fell swoop!

Something that was quite literally impossible under the old paper method.

I suppose a 'lock/unlock' password for the domain that would be generated & sent BY nominet to the registered admin email address would be some sort of trail.

There needs to be another layer of security on top of the secure login. All domains on the account should be locked to transfer by default, and NO bulk online transfers.

S

So one problem I see is that if you DON'T consolidate your accounts then if you have 1,000 names you have to keep track of 1,000 user/password combinations. However, if you DO consolidate them, then if someone manages to hack/sniff your user/password then you could lose all of them in one fell swoop!

Something that was quite literally impossible under the old paper method.

...and the same applies to the updated registration cancellation process. No pgp signed instruction is required. Scared? We should all be a little.

NO bulk online transfers.

Sounds good to me.

However, I think where the domain belongs to someone who owns a tag, they should be able to do a PGP signed email to Nom to authorise a bulk transfer...

I totally agree Edwin.

I had no use for accounts in the past because all updates would be handled via the registrar regardless of the account ID. As a result I think I now have as many accounts as I do domains!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom