Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Order by Post ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone know of a plugin that can automatically force order all posts within a category by post ID - or even all posts by post id.

Had a good look, maybe I'm missing something :confused:

ta.

Thanks, but that's more of an admin tool for reordering the current posts within a site.

I'm trying to display all recent posts based on the exact time they are created or the unique post_id - (automatically).

Say 500 people make one post each under multiple categories, when one of those categories is selected I want to force the display of the posts by the date they were created or post id ASC, I'm really surprised there not a way to do in WP without getting me hands dirty with some SQL :rolleyes:

Use the posts_orderby hook in your themes functions.php file and filter for a category archive to tweak the main query...

Code:
function tweak_category_order( $orderby ) {

if ( ! is_admin() && is_category( XX ) ) {
         return "ID ASC"; //or ID DESC
    }
     //not cat
     return $orderby;
}
add_filter('posts_orderby', 'tweak_category_order' );

Will work for front-end but leave admin posts display as is.

Change the XX to either the id, slug or name as show here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags

query_posts is the spawn of satan! It throws away the default query and uses a new one so any url parsing is lost. Destroys any functionality that many plugins with additional url parameters require. Just look through a lot of shitty free themes to see how much it is abused! :)

Last edited:
thx for your help all, will try in morning when fresh.. after me cup of gold blend :???:

this is just rough experiment t-v, but is is bit tricky ordering 20,000 tv listing posts on a rolling basis.

Use the posts_orderby hook in your themes functions.php file and filter for a category archive to tweak the main query...

Code:
function tweak_category_order( $orderby ) {

if ( ! is_admin() && is_category( XX ) ) {
         return "ID ASC"; //or ID DESC
    }
     //not cat
     return $orderby;
}
add_filter('posts_orderby', 'tweak_category_order' );

Will work for front-end but leave admin posts display as is.

Change the XX to either the id, slug or name as show here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Tags

query_posts is the spawn of satan! It throws away the default query and uses a new one so any url parsing is lost. Destroys any functionality that many plugins with additional url parameters require. Just look through a lot of shitty free themes to see how much it is abused! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom