Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomainLore Auction Oxfordshire.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've requested admin change my username from 'pred' to 'balls of steel'

self appointed, naturally :D

No reserve
just start price, which it has met

it's a great domain so not worried
first time in 15 years been on sale and other owners of counties not selling so whoever doesn't own in 7 days will prob never own, bottom line

if anyone wants to help an old pred
feel free to tweet link please
i have contacted endusers today and changed ns to DL, so touch wood they'll get involved

Wow, that's a corker of a name.

No reserve is indeed ballsy.

Incidentally, do you have any more UK City / County exacts?

goes without saying only person banned from bidding is Ashton

if your ip goes anywhere near domainlore the volvo will be travelling down the m1 ;)
and it's never pretty when 'the duchess' is started up :D

if your ip goes anywhere near domainlore the volvo will be travelling down the m1 ;)
and it's never pretty when 'the duchess' is started up :D

The Volvo? That sounds reliable. ;)

Built like tanks too........!

Volvo_Tank_Rally_Art_Car_before.jpg

Gutsy move. Bound to be the biggest domainlore sale price ever.... 'Citing!!

Yeah, very interesting, already up to £850 which is still peanuts for this name. :)

Something tells me that my top bidder status will not last long. Although if I got it for £1051 I'd move to Oxfordshire and build a quality site that the name deserves.

Hi Balls of Steel.

How long have you had this for? how did you acquire it, can you let us know any background info on it big balls?

lol

yes, recent acquisition from a plc in oxfordshire
well the plc was bought up and the new company sold it
as far as i know off the market and developed since 96

was a community, business portal
and all pages were pagerank 4
i just took down and parked :mrgreen:, now goes to DL
traffic was good as well

Well very best of luck my friend you deserve it, hope it makes good money

Did you not get rights to the content too? If you did then parking might not have been the best option from an SEO point of view (a clear sign to Google that a change has taken place). Would have been worth much more to me with an established site.

no
wasn't worth having imo
5 basic pages that all had pagerank
google pagerank gets updated so rarely that any new site (which domain deserves) that is up in time will be an improvement on old site
the fact the domain had a site so long and domain is so old wil get googles respect
and google will see an improvement is made on content
i parked for about 2 days, max

obviously i have to change dns to DL as I am not going to miss out on it's traffic for any potential buyer and endusers I have contacted

this is a domain sale of a top generic, not a website sale.
otherwise i owuld have sold on flippa :cool:

i hope whoever buys builds out a cracker of a site

there are plenty of ways to see what old site looked like if you search
anyway, i could build a site in a few days that would outshine what was there
i'm hoping whoever buys has serious plans and develops right away. serious plans means a serious price they will pay

Last edited:
I don't mean to offend (as I'm sure you know a lot more about domaining than I do) but the content of the old site is inconsequential - the SEO issue is to do with continuity and I have a lot of experience there.

Firstly, Toolbar Pagerank is indeed updated rarely but that's not the case with the search algo and the spam filters, TBPR is a diversion. Google will pick up the numerous hosting/content changes that will/have happened in a very short time - this could trigger a cancellation of existing link benefit for the domain.

I know most of the PR comes from a single link, but it's a good link given it's from the Ashmolean. There aren't that many sites of such importance to Oxfordshire that will be willing to link out to, what will be, a commercial venture.

Google specifically looks for indications that domains are changing usage, I've tested this by sacrificing a few lower PR sites (although decent PR in their non commercial niches). I'm not saying they will demote the link juice but, as a potential purchaser, the possibility has halved the perceived value to me. I would be very surprised if an end user was not considering the value of current links.

Finally, I know the domain is great and you should end up with a decent amount of cash for it - but I think domainers can lose sight of factors that are important to others. This is a generic domain sale, but that's not always 100% of the value even if the content of the previous site is worthless; having as few changes in details from the original (dns, hosting, content, whois) is a major factor that could (in extreme circumstances) be worth as much or more than the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom