Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

DomainLore Auction Oxfordshire.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone else is planning to bid, I'm not sure why they would be leaving it so late as it will just extended anyway. :)

steal of the decade if stays like this! :eek:

this is a county! even a town would sell for more
where are the geo boys! ;)

2 mins to go, looking like a damp squib

disappointing
thanks for everyone who took part

I have to say I'm surprised Edwin and no other so called geo investors took part
that was a one off chance just gone calling

if theres a domain you want you got to move heaven and hell for it
rule number 1

cheers guys

disappointing
thanks for everyone who took part

I have to say I'm surprised Edwin and no other so called geo investors took part
that was a one off chance just gone calling

if theres a domain you want you got to move heaven and hell for it
rule number 1

cheers guys
Like a lot of auctions though mate, that's the chance you take.

Yes it could have probably got £xx,xxx if you had waited for an approach however for a quick trade/reseller sale you got a few quid.

They certainly didn't overpay. I thought it would reach 10k. A tough time to sell I guess.

I have to say I'm surprised Edwin and no other so called geo investors took part that was a one off chance just gone calling

We don't have any counties, so one wouldn't have made that much difference.

I'm surprised it didn't go much higher, is this telling us that UK speculators have just invested much of their, currently liquid, cash in short domains?

We don't have any counties, so one wouldn't have made that much difference.
that's what made this such a special sale
because none are for sale and the people who own the others won't answer your emails ;)
ie. wpd data etc
there are threads on here discussing this on acorn

here was one on sale
anyway, glad has gone to a forum member
i think 3dweb is a forum member anyway, a well known uk domainer

i made a profit so not going to grumble

thanks Scott for livening it up and saved me stringing myself up lol

I think popular towns/cities would be more valuable than counties.

It's a bit like football, cricket would always be more valuable than sport etc etc

I think popular towns/cities would be more valuable than counties.

It's a bit like football, cricket would always be more valuable than sport etc etc

i disagree

you get the keys to the county with the domain
better than a city
it can be whatever you want it to be
ive heard domainers in geo space in u.s say this and i think theyre talking out their rear end. they would rather own a big city than a country!
never
for me, country.com is the ultimate
you need the funds to buy it and a team for that though, thats a full on business

i'm sure oxford.co.uk would sell for a small fortune though, but theres probably companies with the name also and it's the main place a dn a special tourist attraction in its own right

sometimes theres a domain so special it beats the bigger category and i'll agree

for example i would rather own london.com than england.com
but thats a rare thing
i would rather have uk.com though ;)

most domainer s are quite small minded becuase they have to be. myself included as most are one man bands and dont have time, staff or resources

it's easy to spot
when a domainer says 'we' just purchased etc.
he means 'i'm sitting here in my underpants surrounded by empty pizza boxes and just maxed out my cc on it' :D

it's easy to spot
when a domainer says 'we' just purchased etc.
he means 'i'm sitting here in my underpants surrounded by empty pizza boxes and just maxed out my cc on it' :D

Haha, classic! There's definitely some truth to that :). Anyway, I best go and clear up these empty pizza boxes.

Hope you don't mind Pred, But now the auction is over I'll add my thoughts for what they're worth - And i'm not a GEO man - pizzz boxes and pants - yes. And you know i'm not a buyer or developer

'Destinations' are what work, so I believe Oxfordshire actually suffers because of the popularity of Oxford, same would apply to Cambridge and Cambridgeshire. A County without a central focus point say Yorkshire would retain a higher value purely because it dosen't have that central point of focus to take away it's Kudos

I'm pleased you made some profit on the sale. I was genuinely concerned that it wouldn't rise much above 4-5k

Now the auction has finished I can say that we'll have to agree to disagree there Pred. The Yorkshire Dales, like the Lake District is a national park and a popular tourist destination and the exacts for both bear that out. Don't get me wrong, I think oxfordshire.co.uk and yorkshiredales.co.uk are both capable of becoming businesses in their own right but most domainers lack the interest or vision for this type of name so they will always under perform.

yes I agree with that
yorkshiredales and lakedistrict are good examples as special places and highly popular

i prob shouldnt have used that example as I seem to remeber it was a drop Ty auctioned and 10k was min offer and maiden bid and no other bidders took part so really was like an enduser sale

however, as much as a great domain it doesn't compare to yorkshire.co.uk does it?
which isn't for sale
yorkshiredales is great but can only ever be............ yorkshiredales
which is enough if thats the area you want to cover

thing is yorkshire.co.uk can be that and everything else and rank top for yorkshire dales or as near as dam it

i accept all counties aren't made equal and we all have preference
for example i would prob go silly to buy kent or yorkshire funnily enough
i live in derbyshire and would not hesitate to pull trigger at multiples of the price my domain ssold 'if' was for sale

oxforshire is so affliuent with oxford and cotsworlds etc i'm still very surprised there arent members of domainlore living in the county who 'had to have it'
also i was banking on everyone understanding the nature of the game. one shot. now its prob xxx,xxx or not for sale

anyway, fun chatting I have to get back to my £50 threads lol

check my siggy for the action tomorrow :cool:

edit:
yes i agree Bailey on the main city of the counties going for more, again usually

york would not go for more than yorkshire. i'm certain of this
derby would not go for more than derbyshire, i'm certain of this
strangely, yes, oxford would go for more than oxfordshire

obviously liverpool would go for multiples of merseyside etc

but as counties go, i feel oxfordshire is a special county with tons of tourism and nationally important places
also lots of tech related businesses and MONEY in the county

and domain was a pr 4 site that gets TRAFFIC
as far as 4-5 k
i realistically never doubted it would go for under 10k
i honestly think a lot of people 'done their dough' on the nominet auctions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom